Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got any photos of your indoor home charging setup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to install a NEMA 14-5- Receptacle in my Garage and I'm looking for some good ideas as to how high to put the Receptacle (near the ceiling, close to the floor, at normal height?), how to support the weight of the "dongle" (PDF on Tesla's website says not to let it hang by it's own weight from the receptacle). What type of hook or organizer you put in for storage of the cable etc. Any pics would be appreciated.

Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to install a NEMA 14-5- Receptacle in my Garage and I'm looking for some good ideas as to how high to put the Receptacle (near the ceiling, close to the floor, at normal height?), how to support the weight of the "dongle" (PDF on Tesla's website says not to let it hang by it's own weight from the receptacle). What type of hook or organizer you put in for storage of the cable etc. Any pics would be appreciated.

Post A Picture Of Your Car Charging - Page 2 is mostly pictures of the car charging from something, but some pictures show the UMC in a 14-50.

I have found that the 14-50 is big enough and the receptacles stiff enough that letting the UMC hang from the plug works fine. That does not work for a 5-15 (standard 120V/15A, 3-prong plug); using the 5-15 adapter with the UMC, you need support. I have found that a height between 30 and 60 inches (75 and 150cm) works well for the 14-50R, and is easy to access.

Good Luck!

Mine hangs when it's charging, then when finished, I unplug and place on ground.

Here's my 14-50.

019B3DA6-CB40-4BFF-9432-20017CB419E9-6058-000003274548E98F_zpsbd248d86.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0022.jpg

I may be late to the party, but FWIW, here is my set-up. My electrician got me a 14-50 with a cover similar to those used in RV parks. I wound a short bungee cord around the cable just beyond the plug and hooked it to the wire conduit to minimize the weight and drag of the cable/contactor on the plug. And I used a hose hanger for the rest of the cable.

Last edited:
Some of you guys have really nicely organized setups. I hope to have something cool like that myself. I keep going back and forth between putting the Receptacle right next to the Breaker box ($400.00) or to have it routed up and over the ceiling (finished garage) and put it in the back corner of my garage right near the rear end of the car ($900.00). If I mount it next to the panel then the cord will have to run down the middle of the garage between our two cars with kids running in and out all the time. So that's why I'm leaning towards just tucking the whole thing in the corner where it's out of the way... Decisions, decisions... I'll try to find a pic of my garage...

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of my garage showing the two locations I'm considering.

Question: Would you save the $500.00 and put the outlet next to the breaker panel (run the cable down the middle of the Garage) or would you pay the extra money to have it tucked away in your preferred location?

ETA: This pic was taken the day I finished remodeling my garage. It's not quite that pristine anymore... :D

Tesla Electrical.png

Last edited:
Some of you guys have really nicely organized setups. I hope to have something cool like that myself. I keep going back and forth between putting the Receptacle right next to the Breaker box ($400.00) or to have it routed up and over the ceiling (finished garage) and put it in the back corner of my garage right near the rear end of the car ($900.00). If I mount it next to the panel then the cord will have to run down the middle of the garage between our two cars with kids running in and out all the time. So that's why I'm leaning towards just tucking the whole thing in the corner where it's out of the way... Decisions, decisions... I'll try to find a pic of my garage...

- - - Updated - - -

Question: Would you save the $500.00 and put the outlet next to the breaker panel (run the cable down the middle of the Garage) or would you pay the extra money to have it tucked away in your preferred location?

ETA: This pic was taken the day I finished remodeling my garage. It's not quite that pristine anymore... :D

View attachment 32255
Preferred location definitely better.

Bareyb,

My 10 year old son for whatever reason is drawn to the charging cable, we only park 1 car in the garage & towards the left side where the outlet is & kids like to look at & jump over the cable, if it was me I wouldn't want it running down the middle of the garage, $500 is kind of high...get more bids.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 32255
If you don't mind backing the car into the garage all the time, the cheaper panel location is ok.

Curious ... what gauge wiring is connecting the HPWC? Looks thin to me?

I think it is 2/0 from the meter to the main breaker, then 3ga to the HPWC in 1" conduit with only that wiring in it. If you look closely you can see the wire for the HPWC coming in from the conduit that is going into the top of the breaker box. The stuff in the sides is just for the outlets and garage door opener.