Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got any road trip advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better to have the CCS adapter and not need it than to need it and not have it. I use my CCS occasionally and have found that the oft maligned EA fast chargers somewhat less expensive than Superchargers and somewhat faster - as my MY allows.
yes, for me it has been more for peace of mind in case I needed it. BUT in the 5 years of multiple cross-country trips, I have never used it since the first day I tested it.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Just returned from a weekend trip of ~600 miles. I was 150 miles from home and the Tesla Model Y was estimating less than 15% battery remaining upon arrival. I turned off the AC (outside temperature was 70F (21C). This saved an estimated 5% of the battery (I arrived home with 19% remaining). The energy screen showed that I used 5% less energy for climate control than expected for the trip. I estimate this gave me an extra 8 or so miles of range of the 54 miles displayed when I arrived.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
A new thing. You can now do navigation plans from the app. They seem to be limited to starting from where you are, but you don’t need to do it from the screen in car anymore. Also, you can pick a starting battery percentage.
For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this in the iPhone app. Under "Location" I assume? When I hit the little "Directions" arrow in the corner it just takes me to Apple Maps.

Definitely get the plug kit and a compressor. They're so cheap it's dumb not to.

Just yesterday I was leaving work and saw that my 3 week old MY had a totally flat tire. I was able to use the compressor to get enough air into it to make it to my mechanic, although it was loosing pressure along the way. He found the world's tiniest sliver cut in the tire; I must have run over a piece of glass somewhere.

That's also how I learned Tesla doesn't include a road hazard warranty on the tires. They wanted $121 to repair the tire, or $410 if it needed to be replaced. Fortunately I simply plugged it and all was well.
Can an old woman, fit but with weak wrists, fairly handy and self reliant, use a tire plug repair? Seems like you need a like of strength to insert plug…..

Can an old woman, fit but with weak wrists, fairly handy and self reliant, use a tire plug repair? Seems like you need a like of strength to insert plug…..
Possibly; the best, first course of action is to leave the screw or other item in the tire and just add air (using a portable inflation pump) until you can drive to a tire repair shop.

If the puncture won't hold air, you can try the sealant kit (Tesla sells a tire repair kit with sealant and a small inflation pump. The pump can be used with or without the sealant.) Although currently Out of Stock, you can enter your email address and Tesla will notify you when the Tire Repair Kit is available to purchase. You can also find similar tire repair kits on Amazon. The latest water based sealants used in these tire repair kits should not damage the tire pressure monitor sensor. (The sealant leaves a mess for the tire shop, they may charge for extra time and shop supplies to clean out the sealant.)

Tesla Tire Repair Kit

One type of tire plug that does not require your strength to install is the Victor Plug & Go. For temporary repair only. (You would also need a needle nose pliers to remove the screw or nail from the tire before installing the Victor plug.)

Victor Tire Repair kit - Plug & Go

Last edited:
Possibly; the best, first course of action is to leave the screw or other item in the tire and just add air (using a portable inflation pump) until you can drive to a tire repair shop.
^^^^this. As we age (er, become more chronologically advanced), we have less ability and far, far less desire to plug a tire. Something I wouldn’t think twice about earlier in life is something I can’t/won’t do today anymore. So for me even though I carry a pretty complete plug kit and inflator the actual options are to carry a spare (full wheel and tire) and/or try to keep the tire inflated enough to get to a tire shop.

Reactions: JohnB007
^^^^this. As we age (er, become more chronologically advanced), we have less ability and far, far less desire to plug a tire. Something I wouldn’t think twice about earlier in life is something I can’t/won’t do today anymore. So for me even though I carry a pretty complete plug kit and inflator the actual options are to carry a spare (full wheel and tire) and/or try to keep the tire inflated enough to get to a tire shop.
I simply bought a powerful battery operated inflator so that I can fill up air more quickly and conveniently. Worked for my last vehicle, as I was more than 30 miles away from any repair shop, and air was leaking quite fast but it worked out ok.

My last car's tire was already too heavy for me. No way I'm going to even try to do anything with the monster tires on Teslas... 😁

I simply bought a powerful battery operated inflator so that I can fill up air more quickly and conveniently. Worked for my last vehicle, as I was more than 30 miles away from any repair shop, and air was leaking quite fast but it worked out ok.

My last car's tire was already too heavy for me. No way I'm going to even try to do anything with the monster tires on Teslas... 😁
I have the Tesla tire inflator but haven’t really looked at it. I’ll have to do that now, rather than in a rainstorm or on some deserted road in nowhere or along an 8 lane interstate during rush hour.I think I could manage to add air to get me somewhere or in cell range.