Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got caught in Tesla FOMO - how long can I delay delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buy the car when you’re ready financially. It’s a great product, but it won’t make you happy if it’s a pain in the * to pay for.

The longer you wait, the better the cars get, the better your options get, and the better the used market selection gets.

I hope you get the car you want!

Oh and as far as to answer the title, if you haven’t paid for the car yet, you should be able to delay it. If you’ve paid for the car already, I think you can return it within 7 days (or 24 hours if you’ve test driven one before).

Reactions: dhrivnak and MXWing
Dont really want another car until June but didn’t want to get a hike on me.

Anyone see a issue with delaying delivery until June?

I understand if prices do drop, you get the better price as long as you haven’t taken possession.

Thanks
They allowed me to defer matching to a VIN by 14 days -- then they will start attempting to match me to a car and set up delivery date, so it could buy me another week or two depending on how quickly I am matched to a VIN

Back in the 2016, you could delay it quite a while. I originally ordered in April 2016 right before the S refresh was officially announced...and took delivery of one of the first AP2 cars in December 2016. :cool:

Now, they limit you to up to 3 months but I think they do try to get you to take delivery in the same quarter, if possible.

Not sure how much more they can cut off the lowest end trims.

They cut everything multiple times already. I'm not sure they are at bottom just quite yet. I can see it drop $2k this summer. Maybe make the SR+ the 35k model and get ride of the current 35k model and have similar drops on the rest of the line. Seems mostly everyone who wanted the car got the first models and they are scrambling to keep sales high by reducing prices. 30k+ for a new sedan still is expensive for most of the population. I think Tesla overestimated how many people could truly afford these cars and made huge factories churning out tons of vehicles and desperately trying to reach and get more people to bite to avoid mass buildup of inventory.

Reactions: MXWing
I put a deposit down to lock in the price as well, but this could not of happened at an inopportune time. Just left to another country and won't be back for a month, and already received a text message telling me my delivery date is on the 24th! Damn, the one time I wished Tesla wasn't true to their schedule. Funding isn't the issue for me, but the process of getting everything together will take me another week on top of my trip.

I think things changed during the Model 3 rush to allow two deferrals.

I wouldn't care about getting a price drop. I'd just hope not to pay for an increase.

I really can't see a price drop happening from here. In fact I hope we don't see one any time soon. Tesla needs to expand service and undo a bunch of the cost-cutting that has so much negative impact on their vehicle and customer service.

I'm in a similar position. No rush to pump Tesla's 2019Q1 figures and get it this month. They said 2-4 weeks, and I'd prefer 4 to get rid of more snow and further into spring.

I haven't filled in my other information they need, because of the lack of expediency and because, frankly, I'm still uncertain whether to go through with it. I consider the $2.5k sunk and I don't _really_ want a Model 3. Too big, too fast, wheels too big, tires too low profile, and it's a sedan. And the company isn't showing the kind of stability that I'd like to see.. It's just a shame that there isn't another committed, organized, dependable EV company from which to buy an "affordable" long-range BEV.

(They assigned a delivery appointment in Texas to me, despite my filling in my home address for delivery when I ordered, because I'm in Maine. Others have reported errors, so I presume I just got caught up in Tesla's internal mess. I called Tesla about it and then yesterday somebody called back asking about it. Maybe that approach of calling back is a double-check for security reasons.)

Last edited:
Anyone that put $2500 down on a LR RWD with the lowered price should see the cost jump up by $1500 today.

If you login and still show the lowered price, and won’t take delivery until after 3-31, I would appreciate a post here.

I placed order 3/9... not taking delivery until June... no change to price. Same order agreement as when I placed the order.