Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got charge port replaced for sticking out too far, replacement now opens to far...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, interesting problem, tried to find a similar post but was unsuccessful.

I scheduled a service center appointment after delivery to replace the charge port for sticking out too far. They agreed it was out of spec and replaced it.

Now, the darn thing opens too far and hits the paint, which after only a few charges has left a mark where the edge touches.

Ive found, if I hold my hand above the door when using the plug to wirelessly open, the second it touches my hand, it'll stop (where it should stop based on photos I've researched).

Anyone know if the charge door can be calibrated similar to the rear hatch??
20210410_175432.jpg
20210410_175511.jpg

I don’t know how far you are from a service center, but if this was my car and this was happening after a replacement done by Tesla, I would schedule another appointment with them and let them worry about fixing it, especially if it’s causing any sort of mark on the paint.

Probably it is a calibration issue of some sort, but if you mess around with it yourself and are ultimately unsuccessful, it may become harder to make the case for them to fix it and whatever paint damage has occurred later on (since it may look like it was tampered with).

May also be worth checking if it’s something mobile service can help with (to save you the trip).

Ive got a mobile appointment set. They also just messaged to say I could bring it in to get adjusted. Mon~Fri 8~5

Mostly just wanted to see if anyone else had the issue and if they were told if there was a way to fix it.

Sorry a little off topic, but saw the post, had to chime in.

Well I can say Tesla can go on and on about batteries, but I have had 2 chargeports(not just door) replaced on my 3. Going in for new number 2 on my S.

One of each done out of warranty. So a total of three charge ports were made for each of my Tesla's.

So a failure rate of 3 charge ports in 1683 charging sessions for Model S. Sounds piss poor to me for designing a critical part. I get it carries a s-ton of power, but really poor.

On the Model 3 we are moving backwards. 1169 charging sessions for 3 charge ports.

I am including the one that comes with the car. Nothing is wrong with my charging setup. So just think about that when the warranty goes bye bye.

To top it off I was at Michigan City IN supercharger yesterday. I saw a guy literally pry his model 3 charge port open. I asked. What gives? He said I don't know. It just stopped opening a month ago. I asked how old is car? He said 6 months. Ugh.

So a failure rate of 3 charge ports in 1683 charging sessions for Model S. Sounds piss poor to me for designing a critical part. I get it carries a s-ton of power, but really poor.

On the Model 3 we are moving backwards. 1169 charging sessions for 3 charge ports.

What were the failures on your charge ports?

Nothing is wrong with my charging setup.

Are you sure? It isn't common to have the charge port replaced, so you having multiple problems on two different vehicles might suggest that there is some interaction with how you are charging, or the equipment that you are using.

Reactions: 101dals

Are you sure? It isn't common to have the charge port replaced, so you having multiple problems on two different vehicles might suggest that there is some interaction with how you are charging, or the equipment that you are using.
Lets not discount his experience as human error.

2 quality issues with the port and install is what had me post this to begin with (neither of which are because of anything I've done).

2 quality issues with the port and install is what had me post this to begin with (neither of which are because of anything I've done).
Are you sure they actually replaced the port? The TSB for port being proud of the body on the Model 3 has them removing the port bending the body work and reinstalling the same port. In your case they might just have bent it in too far. (So nothing necessarily wrong with the charge port itself.)

@MP3Mike

You know I have been around the block here a while. Up with the high milage folks. Not many here are in that category. So I ask a little break from having to go through the whole am I a fan or not. Trust me I love Tesla. So I will continue.

My charging system is quite state of the art. Has been checked by Tesla with a car brought by service to test just that. Not sure why they did that, but I digress. I have 2 Gen 2 chargers that are used on a singular 100 amp service. Separate meter. Separate service. So really nothing coming into play there. I do have a 3rd gen 3, but it is for guests and future Cybertruck. Different circuit, not used by me.

S was the same thing both times. Started with LED's going away slowly. Then the lower pin would not retract. Initially slowly. Then a couple times not at all. Reset, power off, then back. Yet it would happen again at superchargers. I drove from Michigan to Boise and then turned around to drive home two days later last week. I can't be left on the side of the road. This is the type of charge port behaviour that leaves people stranded.

3. I will chalk that up to my early sub 3000 VIN for the first one that came with car. Was replaced, but not at my request. TSB contacted me to replace. Second one again lower part would not release to let plug go in without resets. It did this a couple more times after Tesla said wait for software, and it was replaced.

Human error. I don't think anyone keeps track of charging sessions, and then doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to charging. All my point is that there are weak links in every product. The refrigerator compressor might last for 15 years, but if the door falls off twice does anyone pay attention to how long the compressor lasts? I just think so many people focus on battery health. The other parts are the ones that might fail more often than the battery.

Are you sure they actually replaced the port? The TSB for port being proud of the body on the Model 3 has them removing the port bending the body work and reinstalling the same port. In your case they might just have bent it in too far. (So nothing necessarily wrong with the charge port itself.)
They either replaced it, or lied:

Screenshot_20210412-082551_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Lets not discount his experience as human error.

S was the same thing both times. Started with LED's going away slowly. Then the lower pin would not retract. Initially slowly. Then a couple times not at all. Reset, power off, then back. Yet it would happen again at superchargers. I drove from Michigan to Boise and then turned around to drive home two days later last week. I can't be left on the side of the road. This is the type of charge port behaviour that leaves people stranded.

3. I will chalk that up to my early sub 3000 VIN for the first one that came with car. Was replaced, but not at my request. TSB contacted me to replace. Second one again lower part would not release to let plug go in without resets. It did this a couple more times after Tesla said wait for software, and it was replaced.

Human error.

I never said it was human error. The status lights going out was sort of common and probably mostly from a single batch that didn't get sealed properly. (But at least, from my experience, they still worked even with the status lights out.)

But the big problem is the locking pin not working correctly. I wonder if there are any environmental factors that contribute to the failures? Like maybe a lot of pollen getting in to the locking mechanism and gumming it up?

I never said it was human error. The status lights going out was sort of common and probably mostly from a single batch that didn't get sealed properly. (But at least, from my experience, they still worked even with the status lights out.)

But the big problem is the locking pin not working correctly. I wonder if there are any environmental factors that contribute to the failures? Like maybe a lot of pollen getting in to the locking mechanism and gumming it up?
I should have referenced the other poster that mentioned human error. My apologies.

Yes the status lights have no effect on charging except for people that ask you why you are plugged in and not charging. To me the lights provide little value. After thousands of plugins it becomes sound, and then check the app for speed. One wheel away.

Yes the locking mechanism slowly retracting is a common thing for those that eventually fail. Unfortunately the replacement seems the route rather than inspecting root cause. Yes I agree that the failure is low for many. Yet how many cars are in the 6 digits? As the miles go up so does the usage of the charge port. My cars are garaged when I am not out tripping:D To me it is a trade off. My local mechanic that does brake and suspension work said I have at least 50k to go on my brakes. That means I could get close to 200k on a set of brakes. Oh well.

Mobile service just came and left.

"Wow, I've never seen that before, and I dont have the parts with me to replace it, which it'll need to be fully replaced"

Waiting for another service appointment to be scheduled...

Onto charge port door #3

To be continued...