Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got delivery date not sure when the VIN will be sent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
New to the forum. I am glad I found it!!. So many questions and no answers from Tesla Customer Service. That gets pretty frustrating. Looks like living in CA is really a disadvantage, judging from the spreadsheet. I received my delivery date but no VIN yet. Any idea how many days ahead that is sent out? I have to finalize the loan and without a VIN it is stuck. Secondly, I wonder if others have had issues getting a loan check on time?

Being in the source code means very little. It is a preliminary assignment and can change.
You didn't mention how you got your date and when it is, that could be more important.
A few days before delivery (as your car gets on the lot), you will get contacted by your delivery advisor. They will take you through the steps and setup a window for delivery.

Before delivery, you should work with your bank (if applicable) and insurance agency to determine who you need to call to get the check and insurance card with VIN listed. Once the delivery advisor calls, you will have a short time to finish the steps. It will be a last minute race to get things done. Do not expect to hear anything else from Tesla until the delivery advisor calls.

Reactions: Akikiki
Got the delivery date via text.
I received my delivery text on Sunday with no vin. On the text it said my car was sceduled to leave the factory on the 24th, and I would receive my vin 1-2 days. I didn’t get my VIN and MVPA until yesterday. I’ll have to go into gr credit Union to get a check in time. Other people on the forum have said they ended up using Tesla partners to finance so that there’s not a delay.

Is this a classic bait and switch or what? My delivery date is now 31st evening! great. No VIN yet. Tesla customer service has no answers either.

No, it's not bait and switch. It's Tesla being overwhelmed with end of year demand and trying to figure out how to build enough cars to make everyone happy while not doing a great job at communicating with their customers on what to expect. Just stay in touch with them and be flexible on your schedule. I know it's probably not how you wanted to spend your New Year's Eve. But they will get the cars down to Southern California in time for end of year delivery barring any unforeseen circumstances (weather, accidents, etc).

Hang in there. I had an original delivery date of the 26th, then pushed 4 times until the 30th one day at a time. No vin this whole time, and no one at Tesla had any idea what was going on. Was told that we were getting pushed back by the factory.

Last night I randomly log into the account while eating dinner and there is a vin and an option to submit payment.

Apparently they are having a hard time estimating the throughput of the factory and are inaccurately scheduling deliveries based on overly optimistic estimates. Or they had some type of issue at the factory. Just my take.

Is this a classic bait and switch or what? My delivery date is now 31st evening! great. No VIN yet. Tesla customer service has no answers either.
It's not bait and switch but you're getting a taste of how Tesla is operating at the moment. Very stressful for us customers when they don't provide solid answers as we try to figure out how to buy a car with shifting VINs and delivery times.

Hang in there, I've already gone through the same thing but I have a VIN and date now. Got my credit union loan / cashier's check in hand and I honestly feel much relieved now.

Just got a "courtesy" call from Tesla. Now they have pushed the delivery date out to 1st Quarter!!!!. This is a scam at best. This blows away what little tax credit I was going to get. Now I am of the thought that I might as well wait for other competitors to catch up. The price point of this vehicle falls into the low end luxury class -- if you add the size then it is a luxury vehicle. For the same money I would have a better experience with a Lexus, BMW or any other dealership. Just thoroughly vexed by the whole experience.

Just got a "courtesy" call from Tesla. Now they have pushed the delivery date out to 1st Quarter!!!!. This is a scam at best. This blows away what little tax credit I was going to get. Now I am of the thought that I might as well wait for other competitors to catch up. The price point of this vehicle falls into the low end luxury class -- if you add the size then it is a luxury vehicle. For the same money I would have a better experience with a Lexus, BMW or any other dealership. Just thoroughly vexed by the whole experience.

When did you order?

It really sucks if you need a car and this was going to be the replacement. You might want to hold off anyways to see if they end up dropping pricing since the tax credit goes away. The customer service does not even come close to the other brands you mention.

Thursday's tentative delivery appointment passed with no show, no "reach out to reschedule," and no replies to my messages. The VIN came and went in the order management page but it's still in the downloadable MVPA. I called the sales office and got through to the SA who said the car didn't exit the factory and he'd check on it. No replies since then.

I'm trying to be patient but it's been 7 weeks today. In December the website still promised orders placed would be available for delivery this year.

Is there any way to help it? I emailed asking if color flexibility would help.