Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Firmware update Notification while car in for service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So I'm at the Devon service center for a list of issues. Nothing major just small crap. Alignment, bugs in tail lights, dash rattle.

I thought they usually disable remote access, but they haven't yet.

Anyway, got this notification just now. I know nothing more than this popup which did not exist yesterday.

i can only hope this means they've finally enabled the warp drive. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 662
Both my cars have been in the shop way too often in the last three months and not a single time was my firmware "re-flashed"...

That you know about. Ask the service center next time you're there; it's not a secret.

- - - Updated - - -

What would be the purpose of that? Just seems to wear out flash cells for no (apparent) reason?

-- Greg

Don't know. I assume it's just to make sure you're on the latest version; might depend on whether the service folks pulled any fuses and they just want to be sure everything reset properly?

I had the same notifications as the OP when my car was in for service. I was hoping it was a new firmware package, but it wasn't.
Like the OP, I was surprised they didn't turn off remote access.
They could just flash the firmware like Nigel mentioned just to make sure all parts of the firmware were updated correctly.

Flash cells will outlast even this car, not something to worry about.
Came here to say that. If this car gets so many updates that it wears this out, it'll be a good thing. The cars will also be a thousand years old so this is more a problem for whoever owns the car around year 3,000. If you're reading this, Bender, the problem is the flash memory. Replace that part and you should be fine.