TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Got first hand experience with AP1...YES PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HX_Guy, Mar 13, 2017.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Had a minor issue with my HW2 S75D and the Service Center gave me a P85D with AP1 as a loaner, so it was my first experience with AP1 (aside from super brief highway use during the test drive when buying my car).

Experience was fantastic...system worked way better than I imagined, especially on local roads. Car made it through intersections with no issues, unlike HW2, and overall was just pretty amazing to use. I was surprised to see that Autosteering still worked even above +5MPH on local streets if you were actively accelerating (vs being on TACC).

Other features that were nice to see were things like Emergency Braking and Lane Departure Warning, neither of which exist on the current HW2 cars.

As crazy as it seems, I actually got back home and looked online to see if there are still AP1 cars available in Midnight Silver, with the facelift, and black Next Gen seats...that's how much I liked it. Like I said, crazy thoughts...as HW2 *should* be able to do everything this car did, and more...key word being should.

• Like x 6
  2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Yep. Love my signature red with AP1. Australia was the only country to get signatures with AP.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Patience young grasshoppers. Your AP2 cars will reach parity with ours then surpass them "some" day.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

I originally set out to get a AP2 car. Was given some really sound advice.. HW2 will be great in 3-4 years, but right now HW1 is where it is at.. So I got a CPO with HW1 and plan on keeping it until the warranty runs out or Hw2 becomes viable. I love Tesla I just wish they had some "upgrade" room, like a computer, replace the video card...

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  5. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

dont worry, us AP1 drivers will be plenty jelly of AP2 drivers soon enough.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  6. Nosken

Nosken Member

Lots of people forget that it was an entire year after the AP1 hardware was introduced until it started remedial functionality. I agree, I loved my AP1 car, and I know I have a wait, until AP2 will be amazing.
    I think Tesla is being more careful with this's intro. We are only 6 months since the introduction of AP2 hardware. March 2015, 6 months after October 2014 introduction of AP1 hardware, collision avoidance and TAAC were not live in AP1.

• Like x 4
  7. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Ditto. Somewhere early 2015 when AP1 first started getting activated, I did a test drive of the system and walked away concluding that my 2014 A6 did a better job with ACC and while Tesla tried to do more with steering it was so terrible at exit diving and sudden jerky corrections that I would rather steer myself. I thought all of y'all were suckers, no offense!

But when I did the same a year later (mind you, my significant other thought I was wasting time trying the same car again) in early 2016, I was so blown away that I ordered the car with 10 months of lease overlap on my Audi!

I think there's a bit of rewriting history with ap1 nostalgia.... it was almost 2 years since hardware intro before AP1 was decent and close to 3 years for the real awesomeness that you experience today: FW 7.1 added the ability to follow the car in front when lane lines were dodgy. FW 8.0 dramatically improved TACC braking and accelerating responsiveness such that you can even use it in city traffic without people behind you thinking you're a Prius student driver... but 8.0 also regressed AP1 steering stability for a lot of us until the later 2.52.xx releases.

If you recently tested AP1, then you've literally come during peak AP1 and got to look at just the good without any of the bumpy ride they have been through.

• Informative x 4
    • Love x 1
  8. phaduman

phaduman Member

AP1 came with MobileEye s/w and chip that already did quite a bit of autonomous dev and Tesla had to port, tune, finesse and test. This time around though, they are completely on their own. So while they must have learnt how to do the end to end testing (hopefully, not using customers for crowd-sourced testing like in AP1), the whole writing the code for the first time (deep learning...), I am quite sure it is quite a challenge for them (hope they succeed of course, the main Q is how soon?)...

9. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Good feedback, thanks.

In hindsight, I still do wonder if I would have been better off with a facelift AP1 car for 2-3 years, then switch to an HW2 car at that point.
    Too late now! Still love the HW2 car, just didn't expect the AP1 to be so awesome.

Oh yea, P85D w/ Ludicrous was awesome as well! :D

• Like x 2
  10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy swapping cars but I would honestly rather have had an AP2 car from day 1 instead of my current dilemma of when is a "good" time to lose a good chunk of cash trading in, not to mention holding off on all the customizations I would want to do to my car.

• Like x 1
  11. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

Eh, at first I was a bit bummed when AP2 was announced a couple of days after I took delivery of my facelift AP1 car. However, after seeing how solid AP1 one is, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I get to skip the AP2 growing pains and I can upgrade whenever new features I want are actually available and stable.

• Like x 1
  12. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Yep, AP1 in my P85DL was Ab Fab. After the first few (crazy) learning days, it crossed the Sydney Harbour Bridge every day without incident, clearly superior to what we have now. The bigger batt, HW2-laden descendant I now drive is dramatically worse on AP. But we wait impatiently for incremental improvements...

• Like x 1
  13. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Thats what I've been telling everyone. Buy AP1.

- As of now AP1 is superior, eventually AP2 will become superior, however
    - You can get AP1 now, AP2 parity is at least until December. No point driving an inferior car that is costing you more.
    - And you'll save a bunch of cash on AP1.

AP1: BUY BUY BUY!!
    AP2: SELL SELL SELL!!

• Like x 1
  14. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Yep it's a good system. If I had $15 billion I'd buy the company that made it.

• Funny x 6
  15. phaduman

phaduman Member

LOL. Same boat here. Took delivery Oct mid and AP2 announced days after - was pissed for a while. But now I am quite happy with the true&tested MEye based AP1 and I think will keep this for quite some time and wait for AP3 to stabilize (HW3 is likely...when they actually put radars or lidars on all 4 corners and remove dependency on those sonars, will make autonomous driving in rain, hilly roads more plaussible) etc... Just TACC is such a useful feature - I think AP1 with freeway based AP usability is a keeper for a long time to come.

• Like x 1
  16. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

While I agree with you I still am doubtful that HW2 will get there soon. I had more faith in MobleEye then I do of Tesla trying to do this on their own. I think the fallout from the relationship with MobleEye was a mistake.

• Like x 1
  17. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

#ITOLDYOUSO Tesla is dumping Mobileye???

I was 100% sure that dumping Mobileye was a mistake. Tesla's CEOs mouth is on loose motion, while his engineering team's ability to deliver is constipated.

Paired with their focus on Model 3, and Model S/X quality have gone way down. I kinda feel sorry for the folks who got suckered into paying full price for AP2 honestly.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Member

Agree love the Ap1 P85DL
    I'm good for a long time no need for trade.

• Like x 1
  19. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Everytime when my AP1 Tesla drives me down the highway, I simply cannot think how better can it get beyond this. It is that good..

• Like x 1
  20. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

This. Whether or not it gets "better" anytime soon is irrelevant for me. AP1 does all that I'm currently comfortable letting the car do on it's on.

Now I would like a feature that plays a gentle tone if I'm stopped a traffic light or in traffic and the light changes or traffic starts moving without me noticing. There's a road here in town where traffic gets backed up very badly during peak times and it's not unusual to be stuck at a single traffic light for 10 -15 minutes or more. It's hard to not look at your phone or something when waiting that long.

• Like x 2