TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Got Founders Edition #7 as a loaner

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Boourns, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Reeler

Reeler 9th Year of Pure EV

I wonder how much they are asking for it now on the CPO site with the end of quarter deals going on?

2. sadida011

sadida011 Member

• Like x 3
  3. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

The link will go dead once it is sold, so I captured it for posterity's sake.

Attached Files:

4. Owner

Owner Active Member

Only 31,000 miles. someone didn't drive much either

5. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

You know, my 2012 Sig is far quieter than any of the loaners I've driven. Everyone say that Tesla has made their cars so much quieter over the years, but I have yet to agree.

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Anyone know who was the original owner of this car? Being a Founder series, assume it had to be somebody somewhat famous or at least connected to original Tesla founders.

No delivery fee for me...must..resist...:D

7. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 244,000

#27 ChadS, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Same here. My wife's VIN #112 with 82k miles is far quieter than the P90DL I bought last September, even with the same tires.

Her old car is obviously missing some features that are available on newer cars (parking sensors, folding mirrors, autopilot, AWD) and the new nose cone, but looks and runs fantastic. We are very happy with it.

I think what happened here is what happens on every car forum when a new car ships - people really interested in the car pour over every report on the forum, but of course you don't get reports from everybody. People with problems are more likely to report. Even when there are thousands, tens or hundreds of thousands of cars shipped, people will read 50 anecdotes of problems on a popular forum and assume the car must have an abnormally high problem rate. Maybe it does, but you can't tell that from what you've read. Our brains have serious problems absorbing statistics.

Anyways, they assume the car is problematic. Somebody asks Elon about it on a call. His usual answer is "yes, we had some problems with the early cars, but we fixed it and everything is OK now". (He said that for the Roadster, the S and the X...and I am sure it will happen with the 3 as well). Then some people start saying how the early cars all sucked, but the new ones are good. (I have probably seen some variation on that statement at least 100 times over the last two years on these forums and facebook groups).

Except my early car doesn't suck. And there are still plenty of reports of new cars that have problems (not enough to indicate an abnormal rate; but far from zero). So as much as we'd like a simple "buy from this group and you will get a good car" rule-of-thumb, I'm afraid there isn't one.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  8. golfnut

golfnut Member

Other than not being the latest and greatest, I am thrilled to have an early model. Plus the original owner was able to add parking sensors and folding mirrors to keep it up to date. He also added a very cool radar and collision avoidance system to complete the package. The cherry to top it off, is the Signature Red exterior and white interior combo. People ask me all the time about the color. Hope it remains exclusive. Might keep my value up a little as it continues to age gracefully. :cool:

• Like x 1
  9. Reeler

Not a very good deal considering a 75D has about the same range. You can get one of those with AP1 for about the same price.

10. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Seems to have a 10k premium for some reason. Should be 41k

11. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

If you ever want to sell your car, please contact me! That's my favorite color combination on the Model S. Impressed you added parking sensors and folding mirrors, too. Great configuration. Enjoy!

12. essmd

essmd Phantom X

I drove a Founder Model X when they were on tour for those with reservations but not yet ordered.
    The road and wind noise was so bad I almost cancelled my order, but then they gave me a ride in a more recent build.

A Founder's S is much cooler than an X, but I doubt any of the Founder's models remained with the original owners.

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I don't particularly care about AP, more of a toy for my needs. 75D would still be almost $20K more for base model. And it still wouldn't be performance version. Besides, I think it might be cool to own a piece of Tesla history.

14. Reeler

I get $12.5K in tax incentives to buy a new one. You can find an inventory 75D and with the tax incentives be about at the same cost.

As far as a collector purchase, I agree that this is the car to buy. Put it in a barn somewhere and it will probably be worth something 20-30 years from now.

15. kort677

kort677 Banned

that would be a fine idea if you consider the purchase as an investment, however most people are buying the cars for regular usage.