Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Founders Edition #7 as a loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know who was the original owner of this car? Being a Founder series, assume it had to be somebody somewhat famous or at least connected to original Tesla founders.

No delivery fee for me...must..resist...:D

You know, my 2012 Sig is far quieter than any of the loaners I've driven. Everyone say that Tesla has made their cars so much quieter over the years, but I have yet to agree.

Same here. My wife's VIN #112 with 82k miles is far quieter than the P90DL I bought last September, even with the same tires.

Her old car is obviously missing some features that are available on newer cars (parking sensors, folding mirrors, autopilot, AWD) and the new nose cone, but looks and runs fantastic. We are very happy with it.

I think what happened here is what happens on every car forum when a new car ships - people really interested in the car pour over every report on the forum, but of course you don't get reports from everybody. People with problems are more likely to report. Even when there are thousands, tens or hundreds of thousands of cars shipped, people will read 50 anecdotes of problems on a popular forum and assume the car must have an abnormally high problem rate. Maybe it does, but you can't tell that from what you've read. Our brains have serious problems absorbing statistics.

Anyways, they assume the car is problematic. Somebody asks Elon about it on a call. His usual answer is "yes, we had some problems with the early cars, but we fixed it and everything is OK now". (He said that for the Roadster, the S and the X...and I am sure it will happen with the 3 as well). Then some people start saying how the early cars all sucked, but the new ones are good. (I have probably seen some variation on that statement at least 100 times over the last two years on these forums and facebook groups).

Except my early car doesn't suck. And there are still plenty of reports of new cars that have problems (not enough to indicate an abnormal rate; but far from zero). So as much as we'd like a simple "buy from this group and you will get a good car" rule-of-thumb, I'm afraid there isn't one.

Last edited:
Other than not being the latest and greatest, I am thrilled to have an early model. Plus the original owner was able to add parking sensors and folding mirrors to keep it up to date. He also added a very cool radar and collision avoidance system to complete the package. The cherry to top it off, is the Signature Red exterior and white interior combo. People ask me all the time about the color. Hope it remains exclusive. Might keep my value up a little as it continues to age gracefully. :cool:

Reactions: bobjustbob
Other than not being the latest and greatest, I am thrilled to have an early model. Plus the original owner was able to add parking sensors and folding mirrors to keep it up to date. He also added a very cool radar and collision avoidance system to complete the package. The cherry to top it off, is the Signature Red exterior and white interior combo. People ask me all the time about the color. Hope it remains exclusive. Might keep my value up a little as it continues to age gracefully. :cool:

If you ever want to sell your car, please contact me! That's my favorite color combination on the Model S. Impressed you added parking sensors and folding mirrors, too. Great configuration. Enjoy!

I drove a Founder Model X when they were on tour for those with reservations but not yet ordered.
The road and wind noise was so bad I almost cancelled my order, but then they gave me a ride in a more recent build.

A Founder's S is much cooler than an X, but I doubt any of the Founder's models remained with the original owners.

Not a very good deal considering a 75D has about the same range. You can get one of those with AP1 for about the same price.
I don't particularly care about AP, more of a toy for my needs. 75D would still be almost $20K more for base model. And it still wouldn't be performance version. Besides, I think it might be cool to own a piece of Tesla history.

I don't particularly care about AP, more of a toy for my needs. 75D would still be almost $20K more for base model. And it still wouldn't be performance version. Besides, I think it might be cool to own a piece of Tesla history.

I get $12.5K in tax incentives to buy a new one. You can find an inventory 75D and with the tax incentives be about at the same cost.

As far as a collector purchase, I agree that this is the car to buy. Put it in a barn somewhere and it will probably be worth something 20-30 years from now.

Just shows you that the Founder and Signature models are worth nothing in a couple of years.
how wrong you were back then. Don't think to hard is there any 1908 ford model Ts how about the 1st 1000 Hernry Ford signed the 1st 50...I dont think those would be worth nothing...PRICELESS if there were any if the 1st hundreds any still in existence besides no.1 which is in the ford museum. now tesla revolutionized the electric car 13 years ago with the roadster but almost half of the roadster was a lotus and only 2400 produced. along comes the MS the flagship model that made everybody (all auto makers) and the public wake up and think wait a minute that Tesla car might be something good. Well they are all 10 years behind the party started years ago sorry go home. No I don't think the series and founder editions will be worth anything because they only Tesla's flagship now its the world's largest automotive manufacturer. who would have ever thought? Elon Musk KNEW 18 years ago.