Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got hit, advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had Stella since March, got hit yesterday.

Towed to a Tesla approved body shop. Sent video to both insurance companies.

What you may not be able to see in the picture is how the rear wheel is turned out. Clearly suspension damage, not just cosmetic.

1. What should I be looking for when I visit the repair shop?
2. I’ve been given an ICE rental, plan to approach other insurance company to provide a Tesla. Any risk to doing this?
3. I applied ceramic coat and chrome delete myself, how do I make sure this is replaced with any new parts?
4. How do I handle diminished value, if able to in California?

Thanks for your help
Jeff

Attachments

• 5A7FF5E7-63E3-4D03-977E-1E8342596F34.jpeg
    5A7FF5E7-63E3-4D03-977E-1E8342596F34.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 137

What you may not be able to see in the picture is how the rear wheel is turned out. Clearly suspension damage, not just cosmetic.

2. I’ve been given an ICE rental, plan to approach other insurance company to provide a Tesla. Any risk to doing this?
3. I applied ceramic coat and chrome delete myself, how do I make sure this is replaced with any new parts?

Thanks for your help
Jeff
God that is just awful and hard to watch. Unbelievable that people like that are on the road, swinging out into the outer lane, despicable!

Reactions: HighZ

Thanks for your help
Jeff

OUCH!
  1. Ensure they get an accurate estimate right away, not just a visual estimate. Otherwise the repair will drag on as they go back and forth with the insurance agencies.
  2. Good luck. Doesn't hurt to ask, but not likely.
  3. Make sure that's included in the repair estimate.
  4. There are a few posts in the forums. Search for them and reach out to those that have dealt with this.
Good luck and please keep us posted with the repair estimates.

Suspect the Audi driver saw the other car about to turn in to the shopping center and was afraid he'd get hit so stupidly gunned it to pull out without being able to see oncoming traffic on the road. Looks like you took a good solid hit to the side. So sorry to see and hear about your accident. If there's anything good to say about it hopefully the Audi driver has good insurance coverage and you weren't hit by an un- or underinsured driver. Wondering what the repair cost will be.

I'd look for your receipts for your ceramic coating liquid and the film you bought. I would think that would be factored in but obviously only for a percentage of the car that was affected. Doubt you'll get anything for personal labor but that would be a guess. Our MS was hit by someone and their insurance covered the repair work at our detailers that included the PPF replacement and install and the ceramic pro that was applied (and labor on that too). We had a receipt showing both materials and labor cost so slightly different circumstance from your situation.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Couple updates

Visited the shop, many Tesla’s there. Saw what they’ve done and am pretty comfortable.

The Audi driver lady was about 70 years old, clearly shaken. She initially asked if I had come around the truck, but quieted once I explained that everything was on video. She didn’t say anything about the truck coming, just that she didn’t see me.

Side note, on July 5th a sedan made a u turn in front in my wife’s car from the shoulder on a 2 lane highway. This driver proceeded to drive away. How I wish that car had cameras. It really is dumbfounding to me that any new cars are sold without them. We replaced it with an m3

A 5 minute call with her insurance company was all it took. They looked at the video. Not sure if I’ll win the argument on a Tesla rental, but still working it. The ceramic coat is a bummer, but will reapply worse case.

It’s both easier and more difficult than my last accident. Although it was clear I hit a car that was no longer there, I wanted the guy to be caught. In this case I’m used to the amenities, both cost and convenience, of having a Tesla. The time away kind of sucks. The diminished value is tough.

Thanks again, will update as thing move along. People drive safe please, I seem to be a magnet for inattentive drivers.

A 5 minute call with her insurance company was all it took. They looked at the video. Not sure if I’ll win the argument on a Tesla rental, but still working it. The ceramic coat is a bummer, but will reapply worse case.

Don't know why you are dealing directly why her insurance company (if you are?). You are not their customer. I would file a claim with my insurance company and let them handle all. That is what you pay them for. Plus, they are more likely to be flexible with you since they have plenty of attorneys to collect payment from her company.

Don't know why you are dealing directly why her insurance company (if you are?). You are not their customer. I would file a claim with my insurance company and let them handle all. That is what you pay them for. Plus, they are more likely to be flexible with you since they have plenty of attorneys to collect payment from her company.
That's exactly the opposite of how it works... have fun filing a claim with your insurance company when you're 'no fault'.. sure way to increase your premiums!! Great idea..

For your own good, your insurance company should have ZERO knowledge of this incident

That's exactly the opposite of how it works... have fun filing a claim with your insurance company when you're 'no fault'.. sure way to increase your premiums!! So fun!

Sorry, not the way it works, at least in California. (Do you really think that the OP's insurance company is not gonna find out? Hint: accidents are reportable to the state DMV from which all insurers receive records.) OP's premiums will NOT go up as long as his/her insurer can recover the damages. And if they can't recover the full amount, the delta shows up as underinsured coverage as part of OP's insurance; that too, will NOT increase OP's rates.

May I politely ask that you remove your 'Disagree'?

Last edited:
That's exactly the opposite of how it works... have fun filing a claim with your insurance company when you're 'no fault'.. sure way to increase your premiums!! Great idea..

For your own good, your insurance company should have ZERO knowledge of this incident
The hell is this fake news?
Your insurance company will NOT increase your premiums if you report it. Your insurance company will deal with their insurance and cover all fees and costs, then charge the other insurance company. (CA Insurance.) One call to your insurance company is all it should take to get the ball rolling. Let your insurance play follow up / argue with theirs.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jase1125
Your insurance company will NOT increase your premiums if you report it. Your insurance company will deal with their insurance and cover all fees and costs, then charge the other insurance company. (CA Insurance.) One call to your insurance company is all it should take to get the ball rolling. Let your insurance play follow up / argue with theirs.

With some insurance companies....you actually have to file a claim to get them to intervene in anything.

Each claim with some insurance companies increases premiums.

My wife was hit by a cab driver 3 years ago and our insurance company is STILL trying to chase down the far end for payment. Meanwhille our insurance company paid to have our car fixed - thereby increasing our premiums.

I would love to have you lobby for us if you are willing.

With some insurance companies....you actually have to file a claim to get them to intervene in anything.

Each claim with some insurance companies increases premiums.

Insurance companies are bound by State law and I have no doubt that the rules in CA are different than that of IL. As the OP lists Ventura and Left Coast in his/her byline, we can safely assume that they have CA insurance. With an 'other driver' admitting to fault and supporting video evidence, CA insurance rules will not allow OP's insurer to raise OP's rates. Heck, they'll even waive the OP's uninsured deductible (and collect from the State pool, if necessary.)

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic

what? insurance companies aren't going to raise your rates if you're not at fault, that's a guaranteed way to lose customers...

I appreciate your idealism but that is simply not true.. an insurance company can increase your rates as their heart desires, ESPECIALLY if you have filed a claim. If the other driver and their insurance company has already assumed fault, there is zero role for your own insurance company to play. If you want to feel cool and have your insurance company handle it, go right ahead, but a recovered loss is still considered a loss as far as underwriting is concerned. As the author of this post has noted he is dealing directly with the at fault parties insurance company who is handling the claim, as he should be doing.

Last edited:
Insurance companies are bound by State law and I have no doubt that the rules in CA are different than that of IL. As the OP lists Ventura and Left Coast in his/her byline, we can safely assume that they have CA insurance. With an 'other driver' admitting to fault and supporting video evidence, CA insurance rules will not allow OP's insurer to raise OP's rates. Heck, they'll even waive the OP's uninsured deductible (and collect from the State pool, if necessary.)
The regulation exists, but it’s simply “un-regulatable”. Carrier underwriting data is discretionary. If we are give someone intelligent advice here. The answer is that in a non-injury situation like this, where the other driver and their insurance company has already accepted full fault and liability, you want to avoid interactions with your own insurance company.