Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got hit, advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP's premiums will NOT go up as long as his/her insurer can recover the damages. And if they can't recover the full amount, the delta shows up as underinsured coverage as part of OP's insurance; that too, will NOT increase OP's rates.

May I politely ask that you remove your 'Disagree'?
Still false. A recovered loss is still a loss as far as loss history is recorded and can be harmful to how you are rated. I’m sorry to break it to you bud but while all carriers have different underwriting and rating practices, this blanket opinion you have is very very wrong.

As the author of this post has noted he is dealing directly with the at fault parties insurance company who is handling the claim, as he should be doing. inserting your own insurance company in this circumstance is ill-advised.

Last edited:
Sorry about Stella. Hopefully that broken suspension is just a toe link. Can't believe that woman pulled out into the outer lane! Okay, she's 70, but that's not that much older than me. Oy veh.

what? insurance companies aren't going to raise your rates if you're not at fault, that's a guaranteed way to lose customers...
It's also a guaranteed way to make more money if their statistics show that people who get in accidents where they're not at fault are more likely to get into accidents that are their fault.
EDIT: Apparently there's a law in California that prevents them from doing this (presumably because they would if they could!). Seems more fair to me that way.
Obviously this accident was completely unavoidable by OP. I hope the Audi driver sees the video so they know why they thought there wasn't a car there.

Last edited:
Still false. A recovered loss is still a loss as far as loss history is recorded and can be harmful to how you are rated. I’m sorry to break it to you bud but while all carriers have different underwriting and rating practices, this blanket opinion you have is very very wrong.

As the author of this post has noted he is dealing directly with the at fault parties insurance company who is handling the claim, as he should be doing. inserting your own insurance company in this circumstance is ill-advised.

Yo, 'bud', believe what you want, but California insurance law is clear:

NO SURCHARGES IF YOU WERE NOT AT FAULT IN AN ACCIDENT: Your insurance company cannot raise your rates just because you got into an accident, as long as it was not your fault.

Many motorists are afraid to file a claim even if the accident was not their fault.....

(Hint: search under Prop 103.)

But the simple solution is that the OP can call his/her broker and just ask. Heck, any CA residents reading this thread can do the same as a hypothetical.

Learned a couple things

My agent said it didn’t matter if I worked with the other carrier directly. I chose to work with them directly as I don’t like the phone game. They will know my thoughts and intentions directly, as long as I’m making progress acceptable to me.

Another interesting tidbit I learned from the car rental manager in my push to get a Tesla rental; my carrier has an agreement with me on the amount they will pay for a rental. Because no such agreement exists with the other carrier I’m now driving a model S. I did get initial pushback, but they relented once I told them I’ll pay the difference and sue.

I’ll use this communication strategy until it doesn’t work. Im very happy to have a $150 daily incentive for them to finish the repair.

This thread went sideways a bit, hope to get it back on track. I should hear from the adjuster tomorrow.

Now I get this amazing opportunity the learn about the flagship model Ive never driven and can’t afford. Taking a road trip tomorrow. Will provide updates as I get them, hope you learned something as well.

Forgot to mention that I did ask if my rate would go up. She said no after seeing the video. Why buy a car without this you ask? No clue.

I appreciate your idealism but that is simply not true.. an insurance company can increase your rates as their heart desires, ESPECIALLY if you have filed a claim. If the other driver and their insurance company has already assumed fault, there is zero role for your own insurance company to play. If you want to feel cool and have your insurance company handle it, go right ahead, but a recovered loss is still considered a loss as far as underwriting is concerned. As the author of this post has noted he is dealing directly with the at fault parties insurance company who is handling the claim, as he should be doing.
You have to find new insurance. try Wawanesa if you're in CA. Dont have to deal with any of that crap. 1 call and done. I've had multiple not at fault accidents and all it took was 1 call to my insurance company and they took care of the rest. My 2016 pilot elite got hit by some teenager causing 22k in damage - my insurance company took care of the bill and went after theirs. My premiums are the same.

Another interesting tidbit I learned from the car rental manager in my push to get a Tesla rental; my carrier has an agreement with me on the amount they will pay for a rental. Because no such agreement exists with the other carrier I’m now driving a model S. I did get initial pushback, but they relented once I told them I’ll pay the difference and sue.

That's the beauty of CA's at-fault laws. But you would have had the same exact result if you had gone thru your carrier. Any daily rental limit on your insurance would not have applied, as you are not at fault; you are eligible to receive a similar car as a loaner/rental. (In such a case, your carrier would threaten to sue so you don't have to.)

That's the beauty of CA's at-fault laws. But you would have had the same exact result if you had gone thru your carrier. Any daily rental limit on your insurance would not have applied, as you are not at fault; you are eligible to receive a similar car as a loaner/rental. (In such a case, your carrier would threaten to sue so you don't have to.)
Thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense. Seemed like neither insurance company wanted to give me what I want. Much the same way neither wants to discuss diminished value.

That's exactly the opposite of how it works... have fun filing a claim with your insurance company when you're 'no fault'.. sure way to increase your premiums!! Great idea..

For your own good, your insurance company should have ZERO knowledge of this incident

I had a door ding caught on Sentry mode and reported to my insurance company. They did a carrier lookup to claim from the other party's insurance (which also happened to be Geico as well). They covered the damages and on renewal my insurance went down by a further $15. $510 > $450 > $435 now on my third 6/mo term.

I also had a $17k comprehensive claim on my previous car and in all the times I've dealt with insurance my premium has never went up so this statement is not always true.

You have to find new insurance. try Wawanesa if you're in CA. Dont have to deal with any of that crap. 1 call and done. I've had multiple not at fault accidents and all it took was 1 call to my insurance company and they took care of the rest. My 2016 pilot elite got hit by some teenager causing 22k in damage - my insurance company took care of the bill and went after theirs. My premiums are the same.
Wawanesa is the best. Had them for over 10 years and they’ve never raised my premiums when the other party is at fault and I went through them to get my car fixed. Also, the Tesla rates are very reasonable.

Well things took a turn today.

New State Farm guy called with a concern about the repair costs. Assuming a $20k repair and $4k per month rental I’m told they have a $50k repair limit. This may not allow anything for the diminished value claim either. Maybe having then total the car would be better, but the lowest Comp I’ve found is $45k, add tax and current rental fees and it’s over.

He suggested a lower cost rental, I asked him to negotiate with hertz, they should have a lower monthly rate.

Suggestions?

Just my humble opinion, but i would try and stay away from a total designation. that's never worked out in my favor. and i'm not sure how he's calculating you going over 50k....6 months of rental plus 20k for repair is 44k.

I would see if they could find you a M3 for rental - that should be cheaper, and technically it's what they owe you. I definitely dont think you should be forced to drive an ICE vehicle. although if it were between driving an ICE vehicle for a few months or having them total your M3 i'd drive the gas guzzler.

sorry bud. this is a crappy situation - and my biggest fear driving a tesla.... :/

Just my humble opinion, but i would try and stay away from a total designation. that's never worked out in my favor. and i'm not sure how he's calculating you going over 50k....6 months of rental plus 20k for repair is 44k.

I would see if they could find you a M3 for rental - that should be cheaper, and technically it's what they owe you. I definitely dont think you should be forced to drive an ICE vehicle. although if it were between driving an ICE vehicle for a few months or having them total your M3 i'd drive the gas guzzler.

sorry bud. this is a crappy situation - and my biggest fear driving a tesla.... :/
Thanks bigroo. It’ll depend on what the comps come back from State Farm. A rwd long range is pretty difficult to find.

Getting Stella back today!! Almost 3 months.

Any recommendations on hiring someone to apply ceramic coating? I believe I have to wait a bit before application. I’m in Ventura county ca.

also, any recommendations on how to proceed with a diminished value claim?

thank you!

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Getting Stella back today!! Almost 3 months.

Any recommendations on hiring someone to apply ceramic coating? I believe I have to wait a bit before application. I’m in Ventura county ca.

also, any recommendations on how to proceed with a diminished value claim?

thank you!

Congrats! What was the final repair bill, and can you share the list of parts rerlaced/repaired?