Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got hit by a tire today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damage looks light, popped some clips on the bumper and maybe it's a little out of place now. Not sure if I can get the black part inside the lower bumper to be flush with the painted plastic. I have been able to pop the center clip back into place. Anyone have a good how to video that might help with re-aligning the clips? It made a real loud thud..
I believe the tire came off the truck that is pulled over to the side. Stock Front plate holder seems to have have possibly taken some of the impact.

I saw road debris, but could not see which lane to get in, and there was a geo metro next to me...

Had that happen to me with. Bigger piece that was kicked up in the air and I couldn’t avoid it at 75mph. Put a gash in the lower front fascia which I had Tesla replace. Insurance claim needed. Was terrible to look at few 3 weeks. Glad you got off easier.

Re Treading truck tires should be made illegal. It's a menace to society.
Yes they are terrible, you usually don't see them in the carpool lane. It apparently came off the truck in the far lane that was pulled over by the highway patrol. Not sure yet if I need to file a claim, there is a slight waveyness to the the front bumper vs the black part behind it but you wouldn't notice it unless you get really close.

This is before I popped the center clip back in (I think).
I guess I will have to look at it more this weekend and see what I can do for free. I'm guessing i would be best if I remove the front bumper then re-attach it?

teslaBumper.jpg

Not sure what speed I hit it at, I was doing about 75 before I slammed on the brake, but there was notning I could do :(

Last edited:
You’re super lucky, could have been much worse. I once hit a treat that was stretched out (standing on edge) across a highway in the middle of the night on a blind turn. Put the car I was driving (Mazda protege) airborne and then into a 4 wheel drift through the remainder of the turn. Luckily I was able to keep the rotation to a minimum by the time I went into the shoulder. Bent 2 wheels, minor damage to front bumper and undertray.

Immediately ran to grab the retread as I had just passed a motorcycle about a mile or so back. Afraid that would have killed him. One of the most “exciting” incidents I’ve had.

Reactions: Phlier
Yes they are terrible, you usually don't see them in the carpool lane. It apparently came off the truck in the far lane that was pulled over by the highway patrol. Not sure yet if I need to file a claim, there is a slight waveyness to the the front bumper vs the black part behind it but you wouldn't notice it unless you get really close.

This is before I popped the center clip back in (I think).
I guess I will have to look at it more this weekend and see what I can do for free. I'm guessing i would be best if I remove the front bumper then re-attach it?

View attachment 441940

Not sure what speed I hit it at, I was doing about 75 before I slammed on the brake, but there was notning I could do :(

On the bright side, insurance companies usually fight you over stuff like this and make it sound like your fault. You have footage.

Good point, but my deductable is $1000.

In case it helps a bit, when I was pricing out a Model S bumper scrape repair, I found out that the entire plastic valance from Tesla service could be bought new for a mere $120. Getting it painted at a third-party shop, though was $600-700, and then swapping out all the sensors, lights, everything from the old to the new was a pretty penny in labor unless you do it all yourself.

Assuming you can get the clips aligned, I found the plastic on these valances pretty much reverts to its original molded shape. I then went with a mobile paint repair that was able to buff and spot paint for $200 to a satisfactory degree.

• Love
Reactions: alloverx
Immediately ran to grab the retread as I had just passed a motorcycle about a mile or so back. Afraid that would have killed him.
Man, you saved that guy's life and he doesn't even know it. Glad to see there are a few good samaritans left in this world.

Freaking retreaded truck tires are a menace to society.

OP, that really sucks. Man, it hurts to look at damaged Teslas. Hope you're treated right by your insurance company and the repair shop.

Re Treading truck tires should be made illegal. It's a menace to society.

Citation needed.

I'd suspect that it's more about cheap attitudes than the retreads themselves.

BTW, this video is not funny. It's only funny if it's a random person caught unawares by a bouncing tire. (And before you say that's unpleasant, if my life ends wiped out by a bouncing tire, feel free to post it on YouTube. It's the randomness of it that makes it funny.)

There are "Bumper Medic" type places that should be able to fix that inexpensively.

They will use heat guns to straighten the plastic back out or other techniques.

Then use tiny air brushes to repaint and blend the scratches.

Should look and work like new. Done in a day and inexpensive.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I ended up with no scratches, and I was able to hand polish the black marks off the PPF too. The bumper popped back in place pretty well, although if I feel the edge with my finger it still feels a bit wavy, but nothing you can see unless you get your head really close, or feel it with your finger.

1) Maybe thats how it always was? Or are your guys lower bumpers perfect flush with the black grill?

2) Unfortunately it cracked the grill in 2 places.

3) I'm thinking to buy some glue and just glue it back together? You have to pull it apart to see the crack, in it's natural position it's hard to see. Any suggestions for glue? Is this a part I can replace myself?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Grill1.jpg

Grill2.jpg

I found this video, but it does not show how to remove the grill from the bumper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Togg