TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Got hit by a tire today.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Glamisduner, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Also thinking one of these epoxies might be worth trying before replacing the grill. After all, it's not in a very noticable location. No one would know it is broken except me.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?
    https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-84145-Permapoxy-Black-Plastic/dp/B00THUUVSU/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=jb+weld+black&qid=1565928193&s=automotive&sr=1-5#customerReviews

Or This stuff?
    https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-52345-Plastic-Steel-Epoxy/dp/B000KKMXN2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=devcon+plastic+steel&qid=1565928659&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Which will be easier to work with?

2. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Epoxy, for sure. Make sure the surfaces that you're applying it to are slightly roughened first.

3. Brnn

Brnn Member

That doesn't look too bad. Use some JB plastic weld (or other type of two part plastic epoxy), clamp the bumper into position (touching if possible) and "weld" it together. Let it dry overnight if possible.

I'm sure retreads, if done per spec, are just as strong as new tires. The issue is likely just retreaders taking shortcuts.

4. sjg98

sjg98 Member

#24 sjg98, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  5. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Active Member

Out of curiosity, did FCW go off when the car in front of you brakes for the tire at about 2 seconds? Hard to tell how hard he was braking, but I would have expected it might trigger at that speed with a sudden slowdown - unless you also started braking immediately when you saw his brake lights. Hard to tell. Obviously you started braking when you saw the tire...

Sorry to hear about the damage. Tire retreads are terrible.

6. Kleenerth3

Kleenerth3 Member

Duner dude, that sux. Unfortunately I see those loose retreads and entire shredded tires all the time. Freaking idiots that don't take care of their stuff, heat up a tire and kablooie.
    I expected your damage to be worse. Thanks to the license plate bracket for saving the rest of the nose. Mine recently deflected an electric cord that had unrolled on the freeway. Made a helluva sound. Just left a red streak across the plastic cover that rubbed off.
    Good luck with the repairs. They do make some really good epoxies. Might try a backup piece to reinforce the breaks.
    :( Again bro, sorry that had to happen to you.

7. Glamisduner

#27 Glamisduner, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    I think the bracket helped, but's it's only 1/2 taped on now, so I might have to remove it and re-install it with new tape. Oh darn, might have to leave it off for a few days :p

I ordered the black permatex plastic weld off amazon, plan is to apply and use zipties to hold it in place while it dries (if it's possible im not sure it is). Or just let it dry in it's relaxed state as the epoxy says it can also fill gaps (Probably go for this next weekend). Should be as good as new if it works

Damn that sucks, I'm going to call my insurance agent too.
    :( Oh your links don't work (permissions issues).

No alert from the car, I think he was far enough ahead he was just barely showing on the AP screen.

I'm sure some retreads are good, but those are likely the more expensive kinds that people don't buy to save money. They sure are hazardous when they fail. I don't expect to see them in the carpool lane, as I thought mostly large trucks buy retreads, but apparently so do light trucks. Don't they have a lower top speed rating though? Obviously guy was in the fast lane in the carpool lane :( Allot of the times it's the companies not taking care of their stuff, not the people driving the trucks, but if there is a speed restriction then it's the drivers fault. If they can save $100, then who cares if they cause $1000's in damage to other cars, or worse kill someone on a motorcycle.

It appears there is also a tear / fray in my cloth underbody shield too, the bolt is loose, so I'm going to tighten it up when I rotate my tires later today and see if it is really an issue or not.

** my deductable is $500, but I'm thinking that filing a claim will devalue the car. Probably better to fix it myself and save making claims for the next time timething hits me.

• Like x 3
  8. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

I think that they take into consideration what/how much was damaged before devaluing the car. I don't think a small cosmetic issue like this would trigger a devaluation.

Too bad you can't get the truck driver's insurance to take care of it for you.

Man, I'd be screwed tightly into the ceiling if something like this happened to my brand new baby.

FWIW, JB Weld and LockTite brands of epoxy always fair very well in the epoxy tests/reviews I've seen. I do a lot of tinkering with stuff that ends up needing epoxy (RC vehicles... planes, drones, etc.) and have never been let down by those two brands.

You could also use the dough type epoxies to add additional structural strength around the repaired area if needed. Just be sure to really roughen up the surface you're going to be applying it to first so that it's able to really grab onto it. It also needs to be completely clean of all oils; epoxy and oil do *not* mix (water too, for that matter).

9. Glamisduner

Found the undercarriage bolt was loose and a scuff (not sure if it's from the tire or what. It would not tighten to hold the material. I shimmed it with a washer and held the front undercarriage tight. (not sure why it would require an extra washer to tighten down the material...) Pretty minor damages. Well Until I messed up my wheel :(

Also found it scuffed my Titan 7 wheel a bit (top inside, and the spoke, and another spoke just a little):
    wheelDamage.jpg

But stupid me is paranoid with my wheels, curbs, and people working on the car, so I decided to rotate them myself. I went to grab the pressure washer to spray the wheel well out, and the wind kicked up and blew a wheel over that I had standing up. It landed on the asphalt It has marks like in the picture all the way around it now :( So annoying that the wheels stick out past the tires...

Idiot Damage from rotating my tires:
    wheelFellOver.jpg

Guess I need to get in touch with one of those wheel touch up people.

Here is the undercarriage shim for those curious (there's a second washer under the black one if you look close):
    undercarrigeShim.jpg

10. AlanSubie4Life

Everyone does this exactly once with alloy wheels. For me, twice, but I may have special needs. Fortunately I got it out of my system with my Subaru. One time I had a wheel roll out of my garage, down my driveway, and out into the cul-de-sac. Fortunately it stayed upright. No tragedies with the Tesla yet. Now, wheels are always placed either backside down on cardboard or leaned securely against a wall.

For those bolts, it's possible there is grime in the threads (if they were never tightened originally which is likely). They can also be a little difficult to tighten (don't crossthread them). I have tightened all of mine (they were loose of course) and I did not have any issues in getting them to sit flush.

• Like x 1
  11. Glamisduner

Yea threads looked ok, so I'm not sure whats up, It was tight. Perhaps the hole it mounts into needed to be cut a little deeper. Washer fix should be good enough though I think.

I lay my wheels on a rubber mat, but I just wanted to quickly wash the fender out, and it had dirt on the rubber so I didn't want to lean it on the trailer. It seemed fine for a minute until the wind picked up! There are those mobile wheel places that can fix it right?

12. AlanSubie4Life

Probably. I just lived with the shame for 13 years. Not really worth fixing.

13. vickh

vickh Active Member

is the footage from Tesla's built in cams or aftermarket? I ask b/c I had a similar truck debris hit me this week, only minor frunk scuffs but not sure if it's buff out

14. kaffine

kaffine Member

I've never seen retreads used on pickups. I know there are some available but I've never seen them. First use tires can come apart like that it isn't just retreads. I have had a few car tires come apart like that, desert heat and cheap tires don't work well.

It would have been nice if they had require TPMS or ATIS systems for trucks not just cars. Under-inflation or overloading causing heat build up is one of the major causes of tread separation but semis don't require TPMS.

15. zannman

zannman Member

I had damage on my Leaf from hitting a similar length of tread and went with a plastic welder because my bumper had also split in a few places. In this case you could use black zip-ties as the material to help get the weld "flush" in the grille mesh.

An old junk soldering iron would work in a pinch for as little damage as I see in your photos. There are quite a few YouTube videos on the method.

• Like x 1
  16. trm2

trm2 Member

The OP would need to verify, but since it does show two views, I think it is the built in ones.

17. sjg98

sjg98 Member

Fixed my image uploads I think...

18. vickh

vickh Active Member

access thru USB like SentryCam?

19. Glamisduner

Yea, footage is from teslacam. Be sure to set it up so you can record anything in the future!

• Like x 1
  20. Glamisduner

I think most of this damage buffed out, so I'm real hesitant to claim insurance just for the grill and possibly fixing the light scratches on the one wheel since the other now needs to be fixed too anyways.

Attached Files: