Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got hit by a tire today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't look too bad. Use some JB plastic weld (or other type of two part plastic epoxy), clamp the bumper into position (touching if possible) and "weld" it together. Let it dry overnight if possible.

I'm sure retreads, if done per spec, are just as strong as new tires. The issue is likely just retreaders taking shortcuts.

I saw road debris, but could not see which lane to get in, and there was a geo metro next to me...

Out of curiosity, did FCW go off when the car in front of you brakes for the tire at about 2 seconds? Hard to tell how hard he was braking, but I would have expected it might trigger at that speed with a sudden slowdown - unless you also started braking immediately when you saw his brake lights. Hard to tell. Obviously you started braking when you saw the tire...

Sorry to hear about the damage. Tire retreads are terrible.

Duner dude, that sux. Unfortunately I see those loose retreads and entire shredded tires all the time. Freaking idiots that don't take care of their stuff, heat up a tire and kablooie.
I expected your damage to be worse. Thanks to the license plate bracket for saving the rest of the nose. Mine recently deflected an electric cord that had unrolled on the freeway. Made a helluva sound. Just left a red streak across the plastic cover that rubbed off.
Good luck with the repairs. They do make some really good epoxies. Might try a backup piece to reinforce the breaks.
:( Again bro, sorry that had to happen to you.

Duner dude, that sux. Unfortunately I see those loose retreads and entire shredded tires all the time. Freaking idiots that don't take care of their stuff, heat up a tire and kablooie.
I expected your damage to be worse. Thanks to the license plate bracket for saving the rest of the nose. Mine recently deflected an electric cord that had unrolled on the freeway. Made a helluva sound. Just left a red streak across the plastic cover that rubbed off.
Good luck with the repairs. They do make some really good epoxies. Might try a backup piece to reinforce the breaks.
:( Again bro, sorry that had to happen to you.
I think the bracket helped, but's it's only 1/2 taped on now, so I might have to remove it and re-install it with new tape. Oh darn, might have to leave it off for a few days :p

I ordered the black permatex plastic weld off amazon, plan is to apply and use zipties to hold it in place while it dries (if it's possible im not sure it is). Or just let it dry in it's relaxed state as the epoxy says it can also fill gaps (Probably go for this next weekend). Should be as good as new if it works

I had exact issue which lead to some paint damage on the left fender which I didn't connect to having been the tire immediately.
Thought I got some weird sideswipe while parked hit and run and then remembered I had hit a tire tread with my left tire a few days before..

No video sadly.

View media item 120181View media item 120180View media item 120179View media item 120178
Damn that sucks, I'm going to call my insurance agent too.
:( Oh your links don't work (permissions issues).

Out of curiosity, did FCW go off when the car in front of you brakes for the tire at about 2 seconds? Hard to tell how hard he was braking, but I would have expected it might trigger at that speed with a sudden slowdown - unless you also started braking immediately when you saw his brake lights. Hard to tell. Obviously you started braking when you saw the tire...

Sorry to hear about the damage. Tire retreads are terrible.

No alert from the car, I think he was far enough ahead he was just barely showing on the AP screen.

I'm sure some retreads are good, but those are likely the more expensive kinds that people don't buy to save money. They sure are hazardous when they fail. I don't expect to see them in the carpool lane, as I thought mostly large trucks buy retreads, but apparently so do light trucks. Don't they have a lower top speed rating though? Obviously guy was in the fast lane in the carpool lane :( Allot of the times it's the companies not taking care of their stuff, not the people driving the trucks, but if there is a speed restriction then it's the drivers fault. If they can save $100, then who cares if they cause $1000's in damage to other cars, or worse kill someone on a motorcycle.

It appears there is also a tear / fray in my cloth underbody shield too, the bolt is loose, so I'm going to tighten it up when I rotate my tires later today and see if it is really an issue or not.

** my deductable is $500, but I'm thinking that filing a claim will devalue the car. Probably better to fix it myself and save making claims for the next time timething hits me.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that filing a claim will devalue the car
I think that they take into consideration what/how much was damaged before devaluing the car. I don't think a small cosmetic issue like this would trigger a devaluation.

Too bad you can't get the truck driver's insurance to take care of it for you.

Man, I'd be screwed tightly into the ceiling if something like this happened to my brand new baby.

FWIW, JB Weld and LockTite brands of epoxy always fair very well in the epoxy tests/reviews I've seen. I do a lot of tinkering with stuff that ends up needing epoxy (RC vehicles... planes, drones, etc.) and have never been let down by those two brands.

You could also use the dough type epoxies to add additional structural strength around the repaired area if needed. Just be sure to really roughen up the surface you're going to be applying it to first so that it's able to really grab onto it. It also needs to be completely clean of all oils; epoxy and oil do *not* mix (water too, for that matter).

Found the undercarriage bolt was loose and a scuff (not sure if it's from the tire or what. It would not tighten to hold the material. I shimmed it with a washer and held the front undercarriage tight. (not sure why it would require an extra washer to tighten down the material...) Pretty minor damages. Well Until I messed up my wheel :(

Also found it scuffed my Titan 7 wheel a bit (top inside, and the spoke, and another spoke just a little):
wheelDamage.jpg

But stupid me is paranoid with my wheels, curbs, and people working on the car, so I decided to rotate them myself. I went to grab the pressure washer to spray the wheel well out, and the wind kicked up and blew a wheel over that I had standing up. It landed on the asphalt It has marks like in the picture all the way around it now :( So annoying that the wheels stick out past the tires...

Idiot Damage from rotating my tires:
wheelFellOver.jpg

Guess I need to get in touch with one of those wheel touch up people.

Here is the undercarriage shim for those curious (there's a second washer under the black one if you look close):
undercarrigeShim.jpg

It landed on the asphalt It has marks like in the picture all the way around it now :( So annoying that the wheels stick out past the tires...

Everyone does this exactly once with alloy wheels. For me, twice, but I may have special needs. Fortunately I got it out of my system with my Subaru. One time I had a wheel roll out of my garage, down my driveway, and out into the cul-de-sac. Fortunately it stayed upright. No tragedies with the Tesla yet. Now, wheels are always placed either backside down on cardboard or leaned securely against a wall.

For those bolts, it's possible there is grime in the threads (if they were never tightened originally which is likely). They can also be a little difficult to tighten (don't crossthread them). I have tightened all of mine (they were loose of course) and I did not have any issues in getting them to sit flush.

Reactions: cbaaz
Everyone does this exactly once with alloy wheels. For me, twice, but I may have special needs. Fortunately I got it out of my system with my Subaru. One time I had a wheel roll out of my garage, down my driveway, and out into the cul-de-sac. Fortunately it stayed upright. No tragedies with the Tesla yet. Now, wheels are always placed either backside down on cardboard or leaned securely against a wall.

For those bolts, it's possible there is grime in the threads. They can also be a little difficult to tighten (don't crossthread them). I have tightened all of mine (they were loose of course) and I did not have any issues in getting them to sit flush.
Yea threads looked ok, so I'm not sure whats up, It was tight. Perhaps the hole it mounts into needed to be cut a little deeper. Washer fix should be good enough though I think.

I lay my wheels on a rubber mat, but I just wanted to quickly wash the fender out, and it had dirt on the rubber so I didn't want to lean it on the trailer. It seemed fine for a minute until the wind picked up! There are those mobile wheel places that can fix it right?

The good news is that you have the video of the tire moving. Since the tire was moving, that makes it a comprehensive claim, not a collision claim.

is the footage from Tesla's built in cams or aftermarket? I ask b/c I had a similar truck debris hit me this week, only minor frunk scuffs but not sure if it's buff out

I've never seen retreads used on pickups. I know there are some available but I've never seen them. First use tires can come apart like that it isn't just retreads. I have had a few car tires come apart like that, desert heat and cheap tires don't work well.

It would have been nice if they had require TPMS or ATIS systems for trucks not just cars. Under-inflation or overloading causing heat build up is one of the major causes of tread separation but semis don't require TPMS.

I ended up with no scratches, and I was able to hand polish the black marks off the PPF too. The bumper popped back in place pretty well, although if I feel the edge with my finger it still feels a bit wavy, but nothing you can see unless you get your head really close, or feel it with your finger.

1) Maybe thats how it always was? Or are your guys lower bumpers perfect flush with the black grill?

2) Unfortunately it cracked the grill in 2 places.

3) I'm thinking to buy some glue and just glue it back together? You have to pull it apart to see the crack, in it's natural position it's hard to see. Any suggestions for glue? Is this a part I can replace myself?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
I ended up with no scratches, and I was able to hand polish the black marks off the PPF too. The bumper popped back in place pretty well, although if I feel the edge with my finger it still feels a bit wavy, but nothing you can see unless you get your head really close, or feel it with your finger.

1) Maybe thats how it always was? Or are your guys lower bumpers perfect flush with the black grill?

2) Unfortunately it cracked the grill in 2 places.

3) I'm thinking to buy some glue and just glue it back together? You have to pull it apart to see the crack, in it's natural position it's hard to see. Any suggestions for glue? Is this a part I can replace myself?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

I had damage on my Leaf from hitting a similar length of tread and went with a plastic welder because my bumper had also split in a few places. In this case you could use black zip-ties as the material to help get the weld "flush" in the grille mesh.

An old junk soldering iron would work in a pinch for as little damage as I see in your photos. There are quite a few YouTube videos on the method.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I had exact issue which lead to some paint damage on the left fender which I didn't connect to having been the tire immediately.
Thought I got some weird sideswipe while parked hit and run and then remembered I had hit a tire tread with my left tire a few days before..

No video sadly.

View media item 120181View media item 120180View media item 120179View media item 120178

Fixed my image uploads I think...
View media item 120186View media item 120185View media item 120184View media item 120183