Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got hit by a tire today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, footage is from teslacam. Be sure to set it up so you can record anything in the future!

good directions? :

put a TESLACAM folder on USB, plugged it in and the Dashcom icon with the red dot appeared on the top of the screen to the right of the Tesla T. The camera automatically records in a loop if the red dot is visible (default). The camera records two kinds of files labelled 'recent' or 'saved' in the file name. Recent files seem to last about 1 minute and have the record time in the file name. The record time is GMT. The camera makes recent files continuously and I expect they disappear after about ten minutes. Pressing the icon causes the download symbol to display and creates a 'saved' file. The symbol reverts to the dashcam symbol (red dot) after a brief interval.The image looks like 4:3 aspect ratio and has heavy compression so the quality is not great. The files play without difficulty on a Windows 10 computer. FYI.

good directions? :

put a TESLACAM folder on USB, plugged it in and the Dashcom icon with the red dot appeared on the top of the screen to the right of the Tesla T. The camera automatically records in a loop if the red dot is visible (default). The camera records two kinds of files labelled 'recent' or 'saved' in the file name. Recent files seem to last about 1 minute and have the record time in the file name. The record time is GMT. The camera makes recent files continuously and I expect they disappear after about ten minutes. Pressing the icon causes the download symbol to display and creates a 'saved' file. The symbol reverts to the dashcam symbol (red dot) after a brief interval.The image looks like 4:3 aspect ratio and has heavy compression so the quality is not great. The files play without difficulty on a Windows 10 computer. FYI.
Pretty good stuff there.

Just a couple of additions...

Supposedly, the folder name on the USB drive should be named exactly "TeslaCam" (without the quotes, of course), and the capitalization matters.

Once you've used the dashcam for an hour, the "Recent" folder should contain 6 ten minute clips, for an hour running total. The actual length of time of the clips will vary, depending upon how long ago the one hour loop reset.

When you touch the camera icon, it saves the last ten minutes of footage to the "Saved" folder. This is also where Sentry Mode clips are saved.

One way to help prevent corrupted video files or drive corruption is to press the camera icon for ~2 seconds, then wait... the icon should change to just a camera without the dot. That means that the camera is not currently recording to the USB stick, which is the condition you want when you pull the USB drive out; if the camera is currently writing data to the USB stick when you pull the stick out, you could end up with corrupted video files, and corrupted drive directories (fixed with the Tools section of the Properties dialog of the USB stick, if needed, and assuming you're running a flavor of Windows). So make sure you stop the recording process prior to pulling the USB stick out of the USB port to prevent file and drive corruption.

I've also noticed a reduced amount of corrupted files by formatting the disk every time I want to delete the video files instead of just dragging them to the trash. Doing this "resets" the disk directories, and any minor corruption in the directories is fixed, resulting in better results when future video files are created and saved. You just need to make sure that you re-create the "TeslaCam" folder after formatting the drive.

Ever since I started doing both of those things (stopping the recording prior to yanking the USB drive and formatting every time I want to delete the video files) I have had zero corrupted videos.

Last edited:
Pretty good stuff there.

Just a couple of additions...

Supposedly, the folder name on the USB drive should be named exactly "TeslaCam" (without the quotes, of course), and the capitalization matters.

Once you've used the dashcam for an hour, the "Recent" folder should contain 6 ten minute clips, for an hour running total. The actual length of time of the clips will vary, depending upon how long ago the one hour loop reset.

When you touch the camera icon, it saves the last ten minutes of footage to the "Saved" folder. This is also where Sentry Mode clips are saved.

One way to help prevent corrupted video files or drive corruption is to press the camera icon for ~2 seconds, then wait... the icon should change to just a camera without the dot. That means that the camera is not currently recording to the USB stick, which is the condition you want when you pull the USB drive out; if the camera is currently writing data to the USB stick when you pull the stick out, you could end up with corrupted video files, and corrupted drive directories (fixed with the Tools section of the Properties dialog of the USB stick, if needed, and assuming you're running a flavor of Windows). So make sure you stop the recording process prior to pulling the USB stick out of the USB port to prevent file and drive corruption.

I've also noticed a reduced amount of corrupted files by formatting the disk every time I want to delete the video files instead of just dragging them to the trash. Doing this "resets" the disk directories, and any minor corruption in the directories is fixed, resulting in better results when future video files are created and saved. You just need to make sure that you re-create the "TeslaCam" folder after formatting the drive.

Ever since I started doing both of those things (stopping the recording prior to yanking the USB drive and formatting every time I want to delete the video files) I have had zero corrupted videos.

Also, the drivem mustbe formatted as fat32

Re Treading truck tires should be made illegal. It's a menace to society.

I was behind this truck on I-94 in Michigan. His back left tire was shredding itself, throwing chunks of tire 20 feet in the air, and the driver seemed to know it- he was doing about 55. I waited a couple minutes until the tire was done shedding pieces before he passed.

Craziest roadtrip I've been on- in two days I saw that happen; a pickup passed me doing 75 with its own hood wrapped around the side of the truck, covering the passenger door, riding about an inch above the pavement, and then the driver got out at a toll and looked at it like he hadn't noticed it before; and a stooge on a motorcycle in Indianapolis didn't notice the whole highway had slowed to 30 mph and he hit a painter's scaffold that was diagonal across the fast lane at about 50, and took a dive right in front of me. Are people getting stoopider?

Attachments

• Re-tread tire exploding.jpg
    Re-tread tire exploding.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 79
  • pickup.jpg
    pickup.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 45
I drove over a ladder on the freeway today :(

Master Shake is getting angry!

Video Is Uploading: so the link should work in about 5 minutes.

Have not had a chance to watch it yet (video not ready yet) but you seem to have absolutely the worst luck of anyone I have ever known. What’s the damage?

Watched it. Seems like you mostly dodged it to the outside which is probably good. Hope the car and wheels survived.

You should start a thread: “Running list of objects I have hit while driving”

Have not had a chance to watch it yet (video not ready yet) but you seem to have absolutely the worst luck of anyone I have ever known. What’s the damage?
I took a quick look and didn't find any, but I will have to check again in the daylight.

Still working on fixing the last damage from the retread. Found a very small tend on the trunk after washing, but it's almost unnoticeable so I don't plan on doing anything for it. My epoxy job didn't go that great, it dried much too quickly. But it's fixable (just didn't dry smooth). However it's not something you can really see anyways unless your laying on the ground anyways. I might give it another coat this weekend.

Still need to call a wheel repair shop to see what it will cost to fix the wheels too.