Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got hit by another car, how bad is this kind of damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the Model 3 LR RWD for a little over a year now, front passenger side got hit by another driver (most likely the other driver completely at fault, since I was going straight and the other driver was exiting a parking lot, trying to cross two lanes to the other side then make a left turn, and I got it on video that she started driving out of the parking lot when I'm about 2-3 car length away)

Based on my observation, looks like at least the following parts are damaged:
1. wheel and tire
2. front bumper
3. passenger side headlight
4. front passenger side fender
5. front passenger door
6. passenger side mirror

Also the area where the front passenger door is bolted onto looks torn too..

Since this is my first and hopefully last experience with Tesla damage, how bad does it look? I'm probably going to demand to have the car repaired by the Tesla owned bodyshop/service center in town, but want to get some opinion from you first o_O

Attachments

• m31.jpg
    m31.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 870
  • m32.jpg
    m32.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 717
Had the Model 3 LR RWD for a little over a year now, front passenger side got hit by another driver (most likely the other driver completely at fault, since I was going straight and the other driver was exiting a parking lot, trying to cross two lanes to the other side then make a left turn, and I got it on video that she started driving out of the parking lot when I'm about 2-3 car length away)

Based on my observation, looks like at least the following parts are damaged:
1. wheel and tire
2. front bumper
3. passenger side headlight
4. front passenger side fender
5. front passenger door
6. passenger side mirror

Also the area where the front passenger door is bolted onto looks torn too..

Since this is my first and hopefully last experience with Tesla damage, how bad does it look? I'm probably going to demand to have the car repaired by the Tesla owned bodyshop/service center in town, but want to get some opinion from you first o_O
It doesn’t look good. Find a nearby Tesla approved body shop and they will make it right.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

I'm sorry to hear you had an accident.
Sounds like it may be your first one.

Here is how it goes from here:
Good news:
  1. It (seams) like everyone is OK (else you would have mentioned something).
  2. From now on, it's a 100% insurance matter.
    • Last time I lived in TX, cops would not even come out to a site of an accident unless there were injuries involved.
  3. File your claim, take the car to a Tesla-approved body shop (others can't get Tesla spare parts), and hunker in for a 4-12 month repair time.
  4. File "diminished value" claim with the at-fault party's insurance company, since your vehicle's resale value just took a dive for having gone through an accident repair process.
Bad news:
  1. No, that length of repair time is not normal for regular cars, but it is how it is with Tesla's.
  2. Pickup the rental, gripe about it not being a Tesla, accept the "suck" and move on.
Hope this helps!

I'm sorry to hear you had an accident.
Sounds like it may be your first one.

Here is how it goes from here:
Good news:
  1. It (seams) like everyone is OK (else you would have mentioned something).
  2. From now on, it's a 100% insurance matter.
    • Last time I lived in TX, cops would not even come out to a site of an accident unless there were injuries involved.
  3. File your claim, take the car to a Tesla-approved body shop (others can't get Tesla spare parts), and hunker in for a 4-12 month repair time.
  4. File "diminished value" claim with the at-fault party's insurance company, since your vehicle's resale value just took a dive for having gone through an accident repair process.
Bad news:
  1. No, that length of repair time is not normal for regular cars, but it is how it is with Tesla's.
  2. Pickup the rental, gripe about it not being a Tesla, accept the "suck" and move on.
Hope this helps!

Not my first accident but first blood in Tesla for sure (and I heard they are a PITA to fix lol)

For this incident, the cop did came, offered the information exchange form and wrote a crash report(not available yet)

The impact felt pretty minor in the car (other driver said the same), but it's kind of like a 45° angle so the damage is not light on the car.

The good part is, I do have another M3(E92!) which is better than having to drive a sucker rental...

How do you like the F80 vs M3PD?

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I'd say "that'll buff right out" but it really has been overused here on this forum!

Can you post the video of the incident?

Don't have it on my computer now, I will try to post it later.

Basically, I was traveling north bound, on the left lane out of two north bound lanes on the street.

The other vehicle was waiting to exit a parking lot, cross the two north bound lanes, then make a left turn onto the south bound lanes. That car was standing still at the exit of the parking lot till I was about 2-3 car length away from the impact point, then started crossing the two north bound lanes trying to get to the other side.

I did try to stop as soon as I noticed the other car moving onto the north bound lane but it was too late.

I believe the police said he's giving the other driver a warning since: 1. exiting from private parking lot without safety, 2. failed to yield to other car that has right of way.

Luckily we have a Tesla owned major service center in Houston, picked up the car from there, I think they handle body shop stuff, gonna try to give them a call tomo.

You may want to consider an alternative to a Tesla Approved Body shop.
My experience in the Bay Area was very poor customer service, long lead times and exorbitant prices.
The second time I went with an independent shop and was very impressed... your mileage may vary :cool:

Reactions: SJC3
I think you have missed a couple items on your list that aren't necessarily visible. The internal suspension components which are likely DONE but tough to see because the wheel and flat tire are hiding them. That is a pretty sever hit that likely smacked those suspension parts and broke them. Also add in a required alignment IF the vehicle is repairable. Finally, with the complex Autopilot systems on Tesla's they will need to run diagnostics before and after any potential repairs to ensure all sensors/cameras are back to factory working order. All the front sensors and half the passenger side sensors will surely need replaced.

1. For the poster who discussed diminished value this will vary by state law and if you don't have a law for it then best of luck winning that argument! Definitely good to research in your area and see if its required by law and what is required by you to prove diminished value.
  2. Do not use anything other than a certified Tesla repairer because if they deem a non certified repairer has done poor repairs to your car Tesla has an out to void warranty. Certified repairer will be worth the piece of mind for future warranty coverage and a certified Tesla repairer will follow their repair procedures by crossing the t's and dotting the i's to not lose their certification.
    • "Although Tesla does not require you to perform all service or repairs at a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility, this New Vehicle Limited Warranty may be voided or coverage may be excluded due to improper maintenance, service or repairs"
      • Hyperlink to Tesla Warranty is below in number 3
  3. Depending on the laws in Texas don't be surprised, or at least know that its a possibility the vehicle may be deemed an economic total loss. This may require a branded title such as "salvage", "rebuilt" or other terms listed below. If that is the case you have no choice but to accept the total loss as Tesla won't warranty a salvaged title (see below)
Link to: Tesla Warranty
Words in link that apply:
The following will also void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty:
• Vehicles that have had the VIN defaced or altered or the odometer or other related system disconnected, altered or rendered inoperative so that it is difficult to determine the VIN number or actual mileage;
Vehicles that have been designated, labeled or branded as dismantled, fire-damaged, flooddamaged, junk, rebuilt, salvage, reconstructed, irreparable or a total loss; and
•Vehicles that have been determined to be a total loss by an insurance company.

4. Here's how your car COULD be totaled (completely random numbers for example purposes only):​

Car Value: $45,000
Damage repair estimate: $35,000
Salvage value at auction: $10,001 (salvage value may be high because driver front and entire rear of car is totally fine and Tesla parts are expensive)

...then its totaled because they will pay you $45,000 for the car because after they sell salvage for $10,001 they will have only paid out $34,999 to total the car instead of $35,000 for the repairs.
**Total Loss laws vary greatly depending on the state, so just do some research**​

You will get whichever value is less i.e. the amount of repairs or the net value of the car less salvage proceeds they can expect to get in return.​

Either way, best of luck and I hope it works out well for you!

Assuming Texas allows Loss of Use claims, do not accept a rental car reimbursement from their insurance. Go onto Turo and find other Model 3s in your area, then use their daily rate to make a Loss of Use claim. Loss of Use gives you the right to be reimbursed for an equivalent car, not just any car. Do not confuse Loss of Use with the right to a rental car. They’re different.

And as posted above, don’t miss out on the Diminished Value portion of the claim. Your car is worth less by having been in the accident. You won’t see this impact on the value until you go to sell it, but it’s a real financial loss.

In regards to the damage estimate, I agree with the $12-$15k range. However, we can’t see from the photos if there was impact / intrusion past the pillar. If there was, all bets are off.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
Regarding loss in value.. the market ultimately decides that when the time comes to sell, but I am in the middle of a repair to the rear bumper and frame and this is what I learned.

Tesla sends the "certified body shops" a binder custom made for your repairs that shows photos of step by step instructions, which my shop showed me. The actual parts are reconstructed using literal assembly line methods, adhesives, welds, panels. The car is taken apart and actual original process is used to reconstruct it. (Especially the frame). I was told that a Tesla line worker could take apart my car at the end and literally not be able to tell the car was in an accident. It will be totally new condition. This is why the process is slow - the body shop doesn't decide to make it "close" or "good enough", and Tesla actually sends parts from the assembly line to you. And this is why insurance companies tend to hate Tesla.

Progressive estimated a repair at around $1500, and the Tesla price came to ~$7000.

Regarding loss in value.. the market ultimately decides that when the time comes to sell, but I am in the middle of a repair to the rear bumper and frame and this is what I learned.

Tesla sends the "certified body shops" a binder custom made for your repairs that shows photos of step by step instructions, which my shop showed me. The actual parts are reconstructed using literal assembly line methods, adhesives, welds, panels. The car is taken apart and actual original process is used to reconstruct it. (Especially the frame). I was told that a Tesla line worker could take apart my car at the end and literally not be able to tell the car was in an accident. It will be totally new condition.

Not unless they strip it down and repaint the entire car. Paint has to be blended on adjacent panels to match. It's never as good as new.

Reactions: FlatSix911
You may want to consider an alternative to a Tesla Approved Body shop.
My experience in the Bay Area was very poor customer service, long lead times and exorbitant prices.
The second time I went with an independent shop and was very impressed... your mileage may vary :cool:
But will they be able to get parts?

There is one and only one body shop you should take it to in Houston if you want it repaired flawless:

http://katycoachworks.com/

They repaired my Model S back in 2015. About $40K in damage from a side impact with a curb that broke nearly every suspension component. Got the car back and even if you went over it with a magnifying glass, you couldn't tell that anything had ever happened to it.

Prepare for a long repair time though. That looks to be about $20K worth of damage, and you'll be waiting on parts from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: N54TT