Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got hit by another car, how bad is this kind of damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. If it was me, I'd accept the $80/day happily. No point in being difficult (yes, I know it's the other guys fault) where it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Where I'd be adamant is 1st: Tesla certified shop and rates and 2nd: diminished value.

True, diminished value will be a big one. $10 dollar a day or so difference on the loss of use, even with 2-3 months it's only a few hundred bucks.

Since my A-pillar bottom (mild steel) is bent and the catalog does offer replacement panel sections, I won't accept bending it back (told shop to send me the estimate before starting any repair, will go to my insurance and have them go after other driver if needed).

Same for other parts, no metal will retain their original strength after bent and then bent back, and the whole point of repair is to restore to original condition, and replacement parts will be the closest to that.

You want to fix it, then fix it right. Right?

For reference, this was a $7k repair. I’m not joking. Model S obviously. 3 is a cheaper car...but still!
View attachment 436545

I am afraid you may have been fleeced on the bumper damage ... this is the typical Tesla Tax for simple repair procedures.
Recommend multiple estimates including non-Tesla shops... remember that we all pay in the form of increased insurance rates. :cool:

I am afraid you may have been fleeced on the bumper damage ... this is the typical Tesla Tax for simple repair procedures.
Recommend multiple estimates including non-Tesla shops... remember that we all pay in the form of increased insurance rates. :cool:

Wasn’t me. I’m not sure what you would do (this was not the fault of the vehicle pictured - it was parked) in such a situation - you’d just get your car fixed and make sure it is done properly. But sure, we are paying high rates, and it is probably due to some scamming and the typical Tesla owner who is not price-sensitive.

It’s really up to the insurance companies to control the labor rates with the repair shops. I don’t really understand all the dynamics, but as long as insured people are not paying out of pocket for exorbitant rates (this does happen sometimes when they refuse to go along with the insurance company, I gather) it is really up to the insurance company to sort out a proper rate.

I’m no economist, but there seem to be some distortions in the market and I am not sure of the root causes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Parts only took 2.5 weeks for my rear quarter panel/bumper replacement. Repair was $10k and took another 3 weeks. My Geico estimate was amazingly accurate although I took it to a Tesla/Geico approved shop.

Got the Tesla shop estimate, $16K, but not happy with how they are spending 8 labor hours on trying to fix the pillar bent but not replacing the part. Considering the metal fatigue the piece won't be the same for sure.

Thanks for updates.
Did you push for car being totalled since structure is compromised now?

How long was the ETA on repairs?

Last edited: