Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Hit n Run in Parking Lot - TeslaCam caught it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had just entered a parking lot and saw this SUV shoot out of a parking aisle and almost hit the car in front of me.

Seconds later, he veers head on towards my car , I hit the car horn about 3 seconds before he hits me, he didn't even make an attempt to stop.

I got phone number of a witness standing 10 feet away, who saw the whole thing.

This is in state of CA. Police said they can't do anything basically lol. What do you think will happen?

I filed a claim with my insurance company and sent the the videos + witness #.

FRONT VIDEO: Vimeo

LEFT SIDE VIDEO: Vimeo

You can see the dude looking down at his phone and not looking up until he hits you.

And the police say they won't do anything for a hit and run?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your insurance company will track down their insurance company and hopefully get them to cover it. Be sure to insist on diminished value compensation.

The police can't charge them with reckless or impaired driving since no cops personally witnessed the accident but you may be able to get them to cite the driver for hit-and-run.

(moderator note)

This is a warning that this thread is not going to be about "why wont the police do X or Y" or " I sure am glad I dont live in X state". Thats how threads with the OPs description many times turn out, but I am warning now that anything like that after this post in this thread will be removed.

Reactions: db93
This is in state of CA. Police said they can't do anything basically lol. What do you think will happen?
Your insurance company should identify the owner of the Infiniti JX35 (found by using bar.ca.gov smog check system) and will work with their insurance company to make you whole.

Press the police to track down the owner and cite them for the hit-and-run. You have all the proof with the videos. As it appears that the Infiniti has a clear license plate cover, they can use that to pull the driver over (it's illegal to have in CA).

(moderator note)

This is a warning that this thread is not going to be about "why wont the police do X or Y" or " I sure am glad I dont live in X state". Thats how threads with the OPs description many times turn out, but I am warning now that anything like that after this post in this thread will be removed.
so we're not allowed to express any opinion about how when states do something that we think is derogatory for its citizens, that it is derogatory for its citizens?

just want to make sure, because that can be extrapolated to thousands of posts on this forum.

I spoke to Police officer today, he came over the house.

He asked if I want to pursue it as a criminal case or just incident report.

What should I do?

He said, for a criminal case - I would have to act as a “victim of a crime” and then file charges vs driver for him to have any real consequences for misdemeanor - likely a slap on the wrist is small fine. For this, I would need to go to court etc.

Or, I can file a simple incident report and nothing happens (legally) to the guy who hit n ran - his insurance will still payout due to my video - bc MY insurance will use it as evidence to push for reimbursement to them.

While I do want justice, I’m also scared this driver may find out my name/address and try to potentially harm my family - in the event I pursue this in court. the guy looked a bit rough and the area this happened in is not a good neighborhood. Plus, do I want to risk my family’s safety for $200 fine? Lol

What do you guys think?

What should I do?

He said, for a criminal case - I would have to act as a “victim of a crime” and then file charges vs driver for him to have any real consequences for misdemeanor - likely a slap on the wrist is small fine. For this, I would need to go to court etc.

Or, I can file a simple incident report and nothing happens (legally) to the guy who hit n ran - his insurance will still payout due to my video - bc MY insurance will use it as evidence to push for reimbursement to them.

While I do want justice, I’m also scared this driver may find out my name/address and try to potentially harm my family - in the event I pursue this in court. the guy looked a bit rough and the area this happened in is not a good neighborhood. Plus, do I want to risk my family’s safety for $200 fine? Lol

What do you guys think?
If it was me, I would probably just let it go and just file a simple incident report. Looking at your video, it doesn't seem that anyone in your vehicle was hurt.

I don't believe it's worth the time and hassle to pursue it as a criminal case, especially no one was hurt. I recently was involved in an accident of "hit and run" as well, found the driver and was able to get their info, I just let the insurance deal with it, not going to bother dealing with the law.

Of course, there's no right or wrong answer with either actions, it's up to you.

I would probably recommend pursue for diminished value claim, that's something that I have to do with my case once my car is done from the body shop.

What should I do?

What do you guys think?
That's something you need to decide for yourself.

But, FYI, the guy is going to have your address and information either way, because it will be listed on the insurance claim.

What should I do?

What do you guys think?
It's a hit n run. You have it on video. That's an easy case to win. It may be small peanuts for the cops, but they still have to do their freaking job. We can't have aholes committing hit n runs at will.

My insurance rep called today and said he contacted at fault drivers Ins company and opened a claim.
Infinity (Kemper) Insurance -- Never heard of it.

He advised I work with his insurance company and work with them on the claim to get my car repaired.

So, now I'm awaiting a follow up from his insurance , IF they will accept full liability.

The first appt available for a Tesla Body Shop is Feb 8! So, looks like I'll be going to a different body shop that's Tesla approved.

Hoping this does not turn into a 4 months ordeal to get my car fixed. What a headache..

Reactions: Taxvictim