Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got into car with black screens... what happened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a short drive this morning in my refresh Model S. Returned to the car in about 10 minutes, my phone seemed to unlock as I approached. When I got in the driver's seat both screens were black. Turn signals seemed to work from the yoke. Pressed brakes a handful of times. After about a minute (+/- some panic) the screens came up. I didn't try a reset but I would have gotten there eventually. I didn't notice a boot screen and there was nothing noted in the events.

Running 2022.12.3.20.

This is the first time I've seen anything like this happen. What happened?

Can I contact Tesla to have them check logs?

Thanks.

Your car rebooted itself. It happens sometimes, on some versions of code more than others. Unless it happens a lot, nothing to worry about. You can drive the car while it is rebooting, you just can't see that anything is working, like turn signals.

Reactions: WilliamG
Oh yeah, you don't have stalks. If you are driving you can continue driving. Thanks for that tip @WilliamG. Maybe you can't dim/ highBeam your headlights, turn wipers on or off or adjust them, wash your windshield or engage auto driving ( I guess that stalk is gone too?). No model year can see their speed or get any feedback on their car during a reboot. The car works during the reboot though. My 2020 with stalks, the turn signals work, just no click click.

Oh yeah, you don't have stalks. If you are driving you can continue driving. Thanks for that tip @WilliamG. Maybe you can't dim/ highBeam your headlights, turn wipers on or off or adjust them, wash your windshield or engage auto driving ( I guess that stalk is gone too?). No model year can see their speed or get any feedback on their car during a reboot. The car works during the reboot though.
If it's like the Model 3, the turn signals etc should still work (they won't make any audible sound, but they work), but I've never actually tested this on the S with the haptic buttons while the car is in reboot process.

23 Model S - Had the same thing happen twice in the last week. Once in the garage after sitting overnight, once in the yard after being parked there for a couple hours. I did a scroll wheel reset each time. The 2nd time in the yard, I was able to use the PRND buttons below the phone chargers to drive the car while it was rebooting.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but seems to be a common enough of a thing not to worry about? Is there any value in contacting Tesla Service about this or do they already know through their systems reporting back?

23 Model S - Had the same thing happen twice in the last week. Once in the garage after sitting overnight, once in the yard after being parked there for a couple hours. I did a scroll wheel reset each time. The 2nd time in the yard, I was able to use the PRND buttons below the phone chargers to drive the car while it was rebooting.

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but seems to be a common enough of a thing not to worry about? Is there any value in contacting Tesla Service about this or do they already know through their systems reporting back?
Shouldn't be happening. Report it using service in the app. While things are supposed to work while computers are rebooting, we are still being left to Tesla programming of the systems for this to work, and that requires a confidence level with Tesla competency that is definitely lacking at this point.

Reactions: WilliamG