TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Got it in a parking garage, is it worth it

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AMPd, Jul 19, 2016.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

[​IMG]

Is that damage worth going through the hassle of getting it repaired?
    The person who hit me left contact info
    I haven't called them yet, still wondering if I care about the damage enough to do anything

2. Buddy

Buddy Member

I would at minimum contact them and ask for "fair compensation" for the damage. Basically at least get enough cash to buy a paint pen and wax to repr it yourself.

If you're feeling nice though you could maybe make their day by telling them to not worry about it.

• Like x 1
  3. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

You are the only one that can say if it is "worth it" or not.

• Like x 3
  4. Buddy

Buddy Member

Much better response than mine. I second this.

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Is your car leased? If so you might get dinged for that when you turn it in.

• Like x 1
  6. msnow

msnow Active Member

If it was my old beat up truck I wouldn't worry about but if it was my Tesla it would have been in the shop already. Probably $500 of damage IMHO.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

It is a lease.

8. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I had a little more damage than that from hitting something, on the same body panel. It was quoted as $620 in a non-Tesla-approved body shop. There are lots of variables, but the repair costs are probably in that ballpark.

• Informative x 1
  9. whitex

whitex Member

I'd get a quote to fix it from a shop, then decide if it's worth it to try to collect, then decide whether to fix it.

10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Thank you all for the replies
    Since it is a lease and as MP3mike has mentioned I would probably be charged for the damage when I give the car back, I decided to file a claim and get it fixed. We have the same insurance company so it should be an easy process from what I hear

Quick question: I do have another vehicle that's in storage and I prefer not to put anymore miles on it. Can I still get a rental car paid for by insurance or am I responsible for finding my own transportation while my car is in the shop?

11. chillaban

chillaban Member

No matter what you decide, I would call the person up and thank him/her for leaving a note. You might not feel the same way, but reading this thread actually made my day. I'm from the same area and over the course of the last 5 years spent close to $5000 repairing hit-and-run (mostly parking lot scrapes and door dings) damage, and never got a single note.

• Like x 4
  12. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

"Dear sir or madam, before you came along my car was the earthly embodiment of perfection. Now it is not. How does one put a price
    on that?" ;)

• Love x 1
  13. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

If it's not your fault the other party's insurance typically pays for a rental.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Can't really tell how much paint damage you have but I would have a dent repair guy look at it first. if he can clean it up, just a couple hundred dollars.

15. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

That first sentence though!!!! My thoughts exactly.

• Like x 1
  16. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

I am deathly afraid of parking in my garage here at work. I get here early enough where I can do one of those slanted close to wall spots and stay as far away at least on one side kind of things

17. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

I agree completely. There aren't very many honest people left that would leave a note when doing something like that. I've had at least 3 known times where my cars have been scraped in parking lots without a note being left. That is the reason why I now park far away & get annoyed if someone parks next to me.

I would also give the other driver the opportunity to pay out of pocket if they so desire so that this incident doesn't show up on their insurance record and raise their rates. A few years ago I watched a driver attempting to parallel park behind me scrape the rear bumper of my car. When the driver & his wife got out of the car I stopped them and mentioned that they had scraped my car. He said that he didn't realize that he had, but he didn't dispute it when I looked at the scrape marks on the bumper. That happened when I had only had my Prius for about 3 days. When I told him the car was 3 days old then he couldn't dispute that those scrapes were already there. He requested that I get quotes & give him the chance to pay out of pocket instead of having it go on his insurance record. I got 2 quotes for him & emailed them to him. When he saw that the cost for the tiny amount of damage was over $600 (largely due to the Prius having a tri-coat paint job which required more labor to repaint) he called his insurance company & told him that he had scraped my car while parking. I was very appreciative of him for being honest. The Prius was leased so I definitely wanted the damage fixed. And I told him that was why it was a bigger deal to me. If the car was owned it wouldn't have mattered as much.