TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Got Latest update, lost 7 miles of rated Range

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Mnlevin, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

Since last Thursday when we got a software update including the latest Supercharger Locations (don't know the version) my morning rated range on our 60 dropped from 186 down to 179. Even if I cut the amps down to 20 and charge to 80% still only get 179. We haven't changed our driving habits and have been pretty steady on our daily use 55 miles, 50% at highway speeds (70mph). So I hope it is not a function of degradation. Car has 5500 miles and is 3 month old.

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Standard charge changed from 92% or 93% SOC (depending on who you ask) on 4.4 to 90% on 4.5.

3. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

Todd,
    That is good to know. I think the line on my battery indicator is still at the same level. Does that mean I should move the line on a daily basis? Tonight I am taking it to the limit for a long drive tomorrow. Lets see if I get the previous 205-207 range.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

A full range charge should get you the same as you had before. Generally, charge the battery as much as you'll need, with some reserve. If you drive 50 miles a day, battery longevity is improved by only charging to 70% instead.

I drive 90 miles a day and charge to about 80% each day on my S85.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I also drive about 90 miles a day and have found that 70% still leaves me with over 80 miles of Rated Range at the end of the day. I was doing 80% but backed it down a couple of weeks ago.

6. GlennAlanBerry

You just need to adjust the slider to a higher value for Daily Charge, since they got rid of the older Standard vs. Range Charge settings for charging.