Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got locked out of the car today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had put my key fob in my briefcase, and tossed it in the trunk. Got in the car, drove home.

When I got home, the door closed. I went to the trunk, would not open. Fortunately, had the spare key and used that to open the car.

Anyone else had this happen to them?

-Siddharth

I had put my purse in the trunk with the key fob in it. I thought that I would be locked out but was surprised to find the car unlocked and the trunk opened when I went back about 30 minutes later. Didn't think to use my phone to unlock it as I was preparing to call my husband to bring the spare key over.

I think I've read elsewhere that the car's internal antenna cannot detect the key in the trunk.
Or behind the trunk. I'd say it is a design limitation for the V1.0. They might've fixed it by now.

Other keyless systems, like the Hyundai, make noise re: trunk but the Tesla has the sensor near the passenger front windshield and doesn't have a "trunk" since it is a hatchback. The rear area is just too far away from the sensor apparently.

On the other hand, you can easily just leave the key in the car and it'll be perfectly happy with that -- it'll just remain unlocked and ready to go.

Or behind the trunk. I'd say it is a design limitation for the V1.0. They might've fixed it by now.

Other keyless systems, like the Hyundai, make noise re: trunk but the Tesla has the sensor near the passenger front windshield and doesn't have a "trunk" since it is a hatchback. The rear area is just too far away from the sensor apparently.

The interesting thing is that I can stand behind the car with my key in my pocket and open the power liftgate by tapping the switch. Works every time, so the car must somehow be able to detect the key back there.

The interesting thing is that I can stand behind the car with my key in my pocket and open the power liftgate by tapping the switch. Works every time, so the car must somehow be able to detect the key back there.

It's just using the rear antenna to detect the fob....

according to teslatap.com:

◦1-2 exterior antennas in front?
◦1 exterior antenna in back bumper, bottom-center (visible with bumper removed)
◦2 antennas inside at dash left and right side panels
◦1 NFC sensor (for dead FOB), at the base of the passenger side windshield wiper (from user manual)
◦1 NFC sensor (for dead FOB), inside at cup holders (implied from user manual)
◦315 MHz for North America, 433.93 MHz for Europe and Asia (industry FOB standards)

It's just using the rear antenna to detect the fob....

according to teslatap.com:

◦1-2 exterior antennas in front?
◦1 exterior antenna in back bumper, bottom-center (visible with bumper removed)
◦2 antennas inside at dash left and right side panels
◦1 NFC sensor (for dead FOB), at the base of the passenger side windshield wiper (from user manual)
◦1 NFC sensor (for dead FOB), inside at cup holders (implied from user manual)
◦315 MHz for North America, 433.93 MHz for Europe and Asia (industry FOB standards)

Thanks... that's interesting.

I assume then that the back bumper sensor is just "detecting" and not "unlocking" because my door handles don't extend when I stand there, but the hatch release button definitely does work when I press it.