Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got locked out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was a real crapshow.

My car has been intermittently not connecting to the app. Yesterday, I parked at the park and ride garage, as I normally do. During the day, the car would not connect to the app and I tried to fix this by signing in and then out. That didn't work so I reinstalled the app. That didn't work either and also the app requested that I re-pair my phone to the key card, which I had but also has to be done in the car.

So at the end of the day I'm back at the garage, not expecting my phone to work since it was no longer paired to the key card. That was true. What I did not expect was that my key card would not work either. It did not.

So I had to uber home and get my FOB, then go back to the garage, fingers crossed that the FOB would work and that would be the end of it.

The FOB worked and then I was able to use the key card to pair to the phone again.

Does anyone know why the card wouldn't unlock the card though?

Also, roadside was down (a blank map appeared on the app wherever I tried to initiate it), and Tesla wasn't around.

Last edited:
I've had the phone app not work on several occasions. Usually switching bluetooth off and back on will fix it. A few times I rebooted my phone. Other times I just used the card (I keep it in my wallet and can just hold my wallet up to the pillar to activate it) and at some point the phone app started working again.

Your process of trying to troubleshoot it with app uninstall and such may have triggered some anti-hacking protocols. I'm curious to see others' comments!

One of my Key Cards stopped working when my Y was at the PPF shop for NO REASON. I had to remotely unlock and start the car for them. Luckily I had purchased spare Key Cards so I was able to program another one for me. Just glad my wife's worked because you need at least one paired card to pair new cards.

Reactions: voxel
The Tesla watch app is a good backup as well.
Also the Tesla Ring

Tesla Ring  .jpg

.... and the Tesla Implant !!!

Tesla RFID Implant  .jpg

Yesterday was a real crapshow.

My car has been intermittently not connecting to the app. Yesterday, I parked at the park and ride garage, as I normally do. During the day, the car would not connect to the app and I tried to fix this by signing in and then out. That didn't work so I reinstalled the app. That didn't work either and also the app requested that I re-pair my phone to the key card, which I had but also has to be done in the car.

So at the end of the day I'm back at the garage, not expecting my phone to work since it was no longer paired to the key card. That was true. What I did not expect was that my key card would not work either. It did not.

So I had to uber home and get my FOB, then go back to the garage, fingers crossed that the FOB would work and that would be the end of it.

The FOB worked and then I was able to use the key card to pair to the phone again.

Does anyone know why the card wouldn't unlock the card though?

Also, roadside was down (a blank map appeared on the app wherever I tried to initiate it), and Tesla wasn't around.
iPhone or Android app? I'm wondering if that makes a difference.

been using the cnick tesla ring for about 2 weeks with no issues you just have to find the exact area where it locks/unlocks on the pillar. I feel like a small black sticker would do the trick
might do a dedicated video on it because there's alot of questions

1) As everydaychris mentioned, key card has to be just below the camera on the pillar - I rarely use it but I remember it can be tricky. I always carry it in my slim wallet just in case.
2) Install the Stats App. Good backup controls from the iPhone and Apple watch both.

1) As everydaychris mentioned, key card has to be just below the camera on the pillar - I rarely use it but I remember it can be tricky. I always carry it in my slim wallet just in case.
It's so tricky to use that Tesla had to include an illustration on the back to show where to place the key card on the pillar. Trips up a lot of people.

1662460086192.png

What Tesla watch app?
I use Watch App for Tesla but there are others.

Reactions: popgodazipa
I've been having issues with walk-up unlocking since I updated my android phone to version 13. The app works fide for a couple days, then shows disconnected. Per the app help, switching the phone to and from airplane mode reconnects and walkup unlocking works for a couple days.

I've tried various settings to try to keep the connection active, all to no avail.

There seems to be some incompatibility between the current Tesla app and the new android version.

Just curious, on a related issue. How long does / should it take for your Tesla to connect to the iPhone app? Often it takes 15-20 seconds, even if I'm in a location with a strong WI-FI or LTE connection. You would think it should be quicker. Other similar apps I use e.g., BMW connect within a few seconds at most. Is this a known / common issue? Thanks for your replies.

Just curious, on a related issue. How long does / should it take for your Tesla to connect to the iPhone app? Often it takes 15-20 seconds, even if I'm in a location with a strong WI-FI or LTE connection. You would think it should be quicker. Other similar apps I use e.g., BMW connect within a few seconds at most. Is this a known / common issue? Thanks for your replies.
It takes about 5-8 seconds for me. If takes longer, I close down the app and restart it and it gets faster.
For opening doors purpose, you don't need the app running at all to open the doors.

Reactions: mm9351