Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Model 3 (SR+) Towed, would there be any damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my ignorance, I got my Model 3 towed. Tow truck was not a flatbed. They used the "wheel dollies", and then lifted it from the rear wheels.

I visually inspected it at the lot, and there didn't seem to be any scratches / other stuff I could see externally. But I'm worried that it might have caused damaged internally since I didn't enable "tow mode", etc. Is there anything I need to be worried about, because I'm stressing out over this as this is still a relatively new car.

• Informative
Reactions: CapnLoki
Are you saying they used dollies on all 4 wheels?

I think the dollies were only on the front wheels.

If they lifted it, check under the vehicle to make sure they didn’t break anything. Other than that if it was lifted just at the rear wheels (i.e. just the rear wheels off the ground) I can’t see there being an issue?

Yeah, it was lifted from the rear and towed that way.
[
QUOTE="RSL2020, post: 4312742, member: 84394"]If there were dollies on the front wheels its likely fine. I believe Tow mode is for pulling onto a flatbead.[/QUOTE]

Got it, there were dollies on the front wheel.

I think the dollies were only on the front wheels.

Yeah, it was lifted from the rear and towed that way.
If there were dollies on the front wheels its likely fine. I believe Tow mode is for pulling onto a flatbead.

Got it, there were dollies on the front wheel.

Then I don’t see what there is to worry about. Just look underneath and check the jack points (just in case) and then get driving!

Did no one here actually read this? Multiple times, it states that the car should not be towed with any wheels on the ground. Specifically, it states in big bold caps letters:

Warning: TOWING MODEL 3 WITH THE
TIRES CONTACTING THE GROUND CAN
CAUSE OVERHEATING AND DAMAGE TO
THE REAR MOTOR.

If I'm understanding the OP's description properly, their car was towed with the front lifted and the rear wheels rolling on the ground - exactly what the manual says not to do. I would get your motor checked out if I were you.

Did no one here actually read this? Multiple times, it states that the car should not be towed with any wheels on the ground. Specifically, it states in big bold caps letters:

THE REAR MOTOR.

If I'm understanding the OP's description properly, their car was towed with the front lifted and the rear wheels rolling on the ground - exactly what the manual says not to do. I would get your motor checked out if I were you.

Reread the OP description and follow up posts. Rear lifted and front wheels on dollies - so no wheels contacting ground. All good from what I read.

THE REAR MOTOR.

The OP said the wheels were on dollies. Wheels on dollies are not in contact with the ground.

The car was towed with a wheel lift on the rear, and the front wheels on dollies. These little gadgets mean none of the wheels were no the ground:

dollies_on_tow.jpg

^^ Yeah, OP sounds fine.

But in general, am I right in thinking that a RWD Model 3 could be towed with front wheels rolling on the ground and the rear wheels in the air ?

As an aside, in a recent thread it was posted that damage to the plastic under-battery cover occurred when a car was put on a flat trailer. Anybody know how that happens (and how to prevent it) ?