Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got My 2021 VIN!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to hear! Unfortunately, I am back to square one today. Today was my pickup day. Called to confirm everything good to go and was informed the car came in damaged. They offered to fix in body shop, but I was not comfortable with that. Not a fun day and back to 4 to 8 weeks of waiting:(
How bas was the damage? If it's a minor ding that happens during the shipping process, I'd say let them fix it.

Hey guys!

We have a Model Y on order but a VIN hasn't been assigned yet. We found a 2020 car in inventory with a Sept build date (VIN 48xxx), but it has ~60 miles on the odometer. The SA claims that it is not a customer reject/return or test drive car, it just kept getting moved around between stores and all miles were driven by Tesla employees.

Should we consider it or wait for a 2021? Has anyone purchased one that is not a test drive vehicle but with a higher number of miles on it? They've assured us that we will have 100 miles to report any issues. No discounts since it's not a test drive vehicle. Thanks for your insight!

Wait for the 2021 (resale value in the future much improved) Also, you will get the quieter double pane windows and perhaps the finger print free new console. Don't accept a USED car unless there is a substantial discount. You have waited this long. Don't be disappointed

Reactions: Mandolectric
Good to hear! Unfortunately, I am back to square one today. Today was my pickup day. Called to confirm everything good to go and was informed the car came in damaged. They offered to fix in body shop, but I was not comfortable with that. Not a fun day and back to 4 to 8 weeks of waiting:(

I am sorry to hear that. I have been waiting since 10/9 and my pick up is on 11/6. I put my current car in market to sell yesterday and It got sold today.

Hoping that my car will not have issues or I will be without a car for a while. Due to Covid we are not driving much but it will still be a challenge to be without a car. I wonder what will happen to FSD pricing if they have to get me a new car if the current car arrives damaged. Will they increase the FSD price for me?

Is that what they quoted you? 4-8?

And how long did you wait initially? (Saturday the 31st was 7 weeks since order for me, and still no VIN- I seem to be on the long end of the window for delivery)

Can anyone explain the timeframe to me regarding receiving a VIN and when the car gets produced and potentially shipped?

Is the car already built or does a VIN get assigned prior to a building?

My VIN showed up in my Tesla Account the day the car was 'born'.

Born 10/16, earliest delivery in MN was 11/2, then it was arriving early, for a possible delivery 10/30. I left it at 11/3, picking up this afternoon!

I got VIN on 10/20. Earliest pickup for me was 11/6.

Are you picking up from Eden Prairie?
What is your VIN?
I am planning on picking up from Eden Prairie on 11/6.
Did you call your SA to confirm before showing up for delivery of the car?

What is your VIN?

Maplewood, 636xx. I got an automated call yesterday (day before) to confirm date/time/location. I spent yesterday on the phone with the SA getting some trade in stuff sorted out and he re-confirmed....the wrong day. When I corrected him he took another look and agreed with what I was saying for 2pm today. They definitely are busy, even being in the middle of the quarter.

Maplewood, 636xx. I got an automated call yesterday (day before) to confirm date/time/location. I spent yesterday on the phone with the SA getting some trade in stuff sorted out and he re-confirmed....the wrong day. When I corrected him he took another look and agreed with what I was saying for 2pm today. They definitely are busy, even being in the middle of the quarter.
Please report back if you got laminated windows. Congrats!!

What is your VIN?

My advice is to call. When we picked up our MX it hadn't been prepped at all, and we had to wait an hour for them to do so. Our Model 3 delivery was on time, but I'd definitely call to confirm they'll be ready for you.

• Informative
Reactions: seniorcitizen
Can anyone explain the timeframe to me regarding receiving a VIN and when the car gets produced and potentially shipped?

Is the car already built or does a VIN get assigned prior to a building?

My SA told me that the VIN is assigned when the car is manufactured; so presumably that's at some point as it's rolling down the line (it's etched/printed at various places all over the car, of course). If VINs are assigned in advance, I would imagine it's at most a day before- like planning for the next day's assemblies.

And the timeframe from manufacture to delivery is entirely dependent on where you live. I'm in the southeast, and I was told it takes at least two weeks to get cars from Fremont. I would imagine if you live in California it's like a day or two from manufacture to delivery.

My SA told me that the VIN is assigned when the car is manufactured; so presumably that's at some point as it's rolling down the line (it's etched/printed at various places all over the car, of course). If VINs are assigned in advance, I would imagine it's at most a day before- like planning for the next day's assemblies.

And the timeframe from manufacture to delivery is entirely dependent on where you live. I'm in the southeast, and I was told it takes at least two weeks to get cars from Fremont. I would imagine if you live in California it's like a day or two from manufacture to delivery.

Nice thanks. I'm in NJ so I assume it's a while but I was fairly surprised to see a VIN after 9 days

I had my order price adjusted last Saturday, and was then assigned a VIN 68xxx the following Wednesday. I wasn't ready for the VIN and I wasn't going to be available during the delivery days so they unassigned me the VIN. They said I'd get a new VIN when I get back around the 15th so I'm hoping to get my car before Mid December