Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got My 2021 VIN!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla is trying to play the trade in value switcharoo on me... when I filled out my trade in (2020 Explorer), I put down 12K miles even though I only had 8K or so at the time. I knew I was taking a trip and made a pretty accurate estimate as to miles I would be at.

But.... I had to upload a pic of the odometer to continue the purchasing process. Now I'm being told they used that mileage from the pic and now that I have 11K+ miles, they dropped my trade in estimate by $1K. My new advisor is staying that the trade in values are only good for 30 days (which I acknowledge, but how does one get a Tesla within that 30 day period?). My VIN is 61XXX and we are scheduled for delivery on 11/1. I guess if they don't go back to the original trade in value, I have to consider if I want to move forward.

It doesn't make sense in NY to sell the car to a Caravan, etc. as I would lose the sales tax value - in this case $3K+. That's why trading in usually makes better sense on low mileage vehicles here.
I understand not wanting to lose out on sales tax offset but it depends on the delta between the sales tax offset and the higher trade/sales value you're able to get from Carvana or CarMax. In my case, Tesla was $5k lower than what I was offered from CarMax.

I understand not wanting to lose out on sales tax offset but it depends on the delta between the sales tax offset and the higher trade/sales value you're able to get from Carvana or CarMax. In my case, Tesla was $5k lower than what I was offered from CarMax.

Understood. The others were pretty close to Tesla and didn't cover the delta from the sale tax advantage. I'm just annoyed by the process and I hope they do the right thing.

I'm scheduled to pick up mine next week. If it doesn't come with double pane windows, can I reject delivery? Should I call to verify and would they know if they come with it?
You can reject at delivery; however, there's no telling when you'll get a VIN. Some have rejected and matched to a VIN days later while others have rejected and waited much longer. I wouldn't trust them to tell me if the vehicle had double pane windows. If your center is close enough, pop in to take a look for yourself.

I just stopped by the delivery center to ask about the double pane widows update and no one seems to have a clue. I even checked out a couple MYs taking delivery today and none had the update. What I did end up doing was changing the exterior color from white to MSM. I take back everything I said about MSM looking awful. It’s absolutely stunning in the flesh and has this beautiful hint of blue under the sunlight. It just doesn’t photograph as well for some reason. Besides, there were way too many white Teslas at the center and that was enough to turn me off. So I’ve hit two birds with one stone getting back in the que.

Last edited:
I ordered my model y LR White with white interior and induction wheels on 9/29. My vin appeared in my tesla account 10/20. No email/text. Vin number 64xxx. I was able to pay via checking account... still no idea of delivery date or communication at all. Delivery Location Raliegh NC.

I ordered my model y LR White with white interior and induction wheels on 9/29. My vin appeared in my tesla account 10/20. No email/text. Vin number 64xxx. I was able to pay via checking account... still no idea of delivery date or communication at all. Delivery Location Raliegh NC.
You will probably get a text once the car is built and they are getting ready to load onto the train.

In my situation I saw the VIN on my account (no notification) then nothing until I received a text to tell me the vehicle was on the way.

Build date October 11th, VIN 60xxx 2021 Model Y. It has the single paned windows.

Attachments

• 691F5C2B-C641-4D7A-BFF5-F90986B2EA8B.jpeg
    691F5C2B-C641-4D7A-BFF5-F90986B2EA8B.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 79
So Tesla is trying to play the trade in value switcharoo on me... when I filled out my trade in (2020 Explorer), I put down 12K miles even though I only had 8K or so at the time. I knew I was taking a trip and made a pretty accurate estimate as to miles I would be at.

But.... I had to upload a pic of the odometer to continue the purchasing process. Now I'm being told they used that mileage from the pic and now that I have 11K+ miles, they dropped my trade in estimate by $1K. My new advisor is staying that the trade in values are only good for 30 days (which I acknowledge, but how does one get a Tesla within that 30 day period?). My VIN is 61XXX and we are scheduled for delivery on 11/1. I guess if they don't go back to the original trade in value, I have to consider if I want to move forward.

It doesn't make sense in NY to sell the car to a Caravan, etc. as I would lose the sales tax value - in this case $3K+. That's why trading in usually makes better sense on low mileage vehicles here.

My trade went up by 1000mi in a month (imagine that) and the value dropped by $500...seems criminal that they can provide a trade estimate that has no chance of reaching your projected 5-9 week delivery, and like everything else with this company, when it comes to price its tough luck, take it or leave it.

They've survived on fan boys and early adopters living with this for years, going more mainstream, this sort of shenanigans will lead to lost customers.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
My trade went up by 1000mi in a month (imagine that) and the value dropped by $500...seems criminal that they can provide a trade estimate that has no chance of reaching your projected 5-9 week delivery, and like everything else with this company, when it comes to price its tough luck, take it or leave it.

They've survived on fan boys and early adopters living with this for years, going more mainstream, this sort of shenanigans will lead to lost customers.

What would have been an acceptable drop for 1,000 extra miles?

What would have been an acceptable drop for 1,000 extra miles?
The 100-200 drop that coincides with KBB from their original offer time frame to now. The frustration is more that they tell you upfront that they can't get you a car for 35+ days then give you a value and figure all of the financing only to change it once the new vehicle is on the way.

The second offer given originally with a validity through the expected lead time wouldn't leave a consumer feeling like the deal was changed after they were given an agreement at the time of order.

Tesla is equated to Amazon's order process, they would never change the deal after you've ordered.

• Helpful
Reactions: JohnSnowNW