Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got My Beauty Wrapped!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Avery color shift is more in between $2600-$3000. It might get slightly more expensive than regular color since the material is a bit more expensive and it is directional so you have more waste since you can not rotate it to use the scraps

Yes I got your PM too on the price, thanks! I love your car's color. Purple is our favorite color. My wife actually wanted to get the Porsche Cayenne because it has a Purple color before we ended up our MX. We love the deep blue on the MX though. But if we ever get tired of it, could change it to purple!

Many paint protection films list their thickness as 8mm. Detailers I have talked to mention the vinyl film serves a different purpose and is thinner. Avery Dennison lists (one of) their film as 3.2mm-4.7mm. There are also wraps too that are as thick as 13mm.

There is also too chemical property difference between polyurethane vs vinyl vs wax/sealant/coating as well.

Many paint protection films list their thickness as 8mm. Detailers I have talked to mention the vinyl film serves a different purpose and is thinner. Avery Dennison lists (one of) their film as 3.2mm-4.7mm. There are also wraps too that are as thick as 13mm.

There is also too chemical property difference between polyurethane vs vinyl vs wax/sealant/coating as well.
You are talking about mils not mm

1 mil = 0.001 inch.

With 13mm thick we are getting in to bullet proofing the car ;)

I’m about to get my car wrapped. I really like a color by 3m - satin black with gold dust. One installer , which was recommended by my Tesla service center, strongly recommended Avery wraps over 3M. He felt they last longer and went on easier.

But another installer who uses both said he thought they were equivalent.

Any guidance here?

I’m about to get my car wrapped. I really like a color by 3m - satin black with gold dust. One installer , which was recommended by my Tesla service center, strongly recommended Avery wraps over 3M. He felt they last longer and went on easier.

But another installer who uses both said he thought they were equivalent.

Any guidance here?
I am certified installer by 3M and Avery /and Orafol/ and Avery is my favorite when it comes to handling during the install which leads to lower chances of failure. The main difference is stiffness of the material. In room temperature Avery feels like cloth, 3M and Orafol still have that "plastic" feel /this is only applicable for installers, once installed they feel about the same/.

I think that Avery is taking the best complicated curves than the others.

In other hand I think all of the above mentioned brands are great with very high quality and simillar warranties.

Any of them will last 5 years easy with some exceptions. Some colors /like neon colors/ will fade relatively fast. There is huge difference in warranty /and longevity/ between horizontal and vertical surfaces. Big role plays the climate - in Seattle it will las longer than in Phoenix. I will recommend replacing the wrap in 3-4 years just to have relatively easy removal and to avoid color fading and drying out of the vunyl.

3M teaches to use primer 94, a lot of primer 94 which I /and not only I/ strongly try to avoid. I might use primer ONLY where I am sure that otherwise the wrap will fail/lift and there is no other acceptable way to do it and god helps to the person who is going to remove it ;) Primer is not some magical substance which cures install errors and mistakes.

Again my bias to Avery is just personal preference. I can install any of them no problem but if I have the choice I will go with Avery.

Hope this helps

• Informative
Reactions: PlayaVista and Need
I am certified installer by 3M and Avery /and Orafol/ and Avery is my favorite when it comes to handling during the install which leads to lower chances of failure. The main difference is stiffness of the material. In room temperature Avery feels like cloth, 3M and Orafol still have that "plastic" feel /this is only applicable for installers, once installed they feel about the same/.

I think that Avery is taking the best complicated curves than the others.

In other hand I think all of the above mentioned brands are great with very high quality and simillar warranties.

Any of them will last 5 years easy with some exceptions. Some colors /like neon colors/ will fade relatively fast. There is huge difference in warranty /and longevity/ between horizontal and vertical surfaces. Big role plays the climate - in Seattle it will las longer than in Phoenix. I will recommend replacing the wrap in 3-4 years just to have relatively easy removal and to avoid color fading and drying out of the vunyl.

3M teaches to use primer 94, a lot of primer 94 which I /and not only I/ strongly try to avoid. I might use primer ONLY where I am sure that otherwise the wrap will fail/lift and there is no other acceptable way to do it and god helps to the person who is going to remove it ;) Primer is not some magical substance which cures install errors and mistakes.

Again my bias to Avery is just personal preference. I can install any of them no problem but if I have the choice I will go with Avery.

Hope this helps

That was very helpful. Thank you. I will check out what colors avery has. Its good to know that once installed Avery and 3M have similar longevity,

3M's new Satin Vampire Red with a metallic grey chrome delete!

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: HankLloydRight