TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Got my configuration Email. Need advice

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by LectrikPower, Jul 24, 2018.

1. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

So I have a situation and need some advice. I have a Leaf and the lease is up in November. I got my configuration Email but I don't want to order right away because I would like to avoid having two payments. I tried calling Tesla to see when I might order to get a November delivery but the lines are jammed and I don't feel like waiting.

I'm seeing 1-3 months for delivery but reading all sorts of different delivery stories. Seems like waiting it out would be best since I am so close to the end of the lease but was wondering if there are some possible things I could do that I am unaware of.

Oh, ordering a white, 18" wheel, RWD, priemum, LR

Thanks.

2. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

I also want to help Tesla out with an order asap and make sure I get the $7500

• Like x 2
  3. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Chances are that if you order now, you will get it pretty soon. There are a bunch of preconfigured LR cars sitting in lots around the country. I'd hold off on ordering until you are ready to part with the Leaf.

4. Packerfan735

Packerfan735 Member

How much is your Leaf payment? If you order soon, you'll more than likely get the tax credit, and although you might have two payments overlap slightly, it might be worth it to avoid not having a car at some point, and getting some savings on the Tesla... just a thought

• Like x 2
  5. Tam

Tam Active Member

The timing for a delivery has always been unpredictable in Tesla time.

You can try but good luck!

• Like x 1
  6. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

Thanks for the responces. My payment is 350. Not a huge deal but it would be nice not to overlap. I think I will just order in Sept. Or Oct. And cross my fingers.

Anyone have any experience turning in a lease early without paying a bunch of money? I know it's unlikely.

7. aydyn

aydyn Member

Let me see if i'm reading your logic. You are willing to wait until Sept, and risk loosing out on $3,750 tax credit, in order to save $350 or at most $700 on two months of cross loan?

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  8. CO2CLEAN

CO2CLEAN Olivier Willemsen

I would just order it now and ask for delivery in November. I know of some owners in the Netherlands who are able to do so for an S/X. So, I would contact Tesla and discuss this. Seems like it's worth the time and effort to at least ask for the possibility.

• Like x 2
  9. Tam

Tam Active Member

Some owners have expressed frustration when they thought Tesla delivery time was accurate so they sold their old cars or returned their old leases then found out that there's a delay and they were left with no car at all!

If it was up to me, I would prefer to pay more for certainty: Get my Tesla in as early as I can. It's better to have 2 cars then no cars at all if the timing goes wrong!

• Like x 1
  10. happyguy

happyguy Member

I would order in Aug. You would probably get your car in Oct and still have $7000 fed tax credits.

• Like x 2
  11. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I agree with @CO2CLEAN and order it now and delay actual delivery a bit if needed to make sure you get the car this year and the full tax credit. As mentioned, Tesla delivery timelines are a bit unpredictable.

12. Tam

Tam Active Member

Be aware:

I read somewhere that a Model 3 owner got a delivery schedule but talked to Tesla to reschedule it for after a vacation.

When the owner's back from vacation, that Model 3 was sold to someone else because that's what it says on "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement."

• Informative x 1
  13. Canikony

Canikony Member

What do you mean you just got your configuration email? It's been open to everyone for a couple weeks or so now.

I would just order the car now. The leaf payment overlap is way less than the loss of the tax credit.

14. Blu Angel

Blu Angel Member

Got my vote!
    I most certainly agree!
    Quit stalling and order the bestest car you'll ever own!

P.S. a whole bunch of Ontario reservation holders are NOW regretting not ordering sooner.
    The new Conservative Ontario just cancelled the fourteen thousand dollar EV rebate!

• Like x 1
  15. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

Thanks for the comments. I think I will order in Aug and deal with a month or two overlap if necessary.

16. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

I didn't say I just got it. I've had it and been sitting on it.

17. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

Lol, I can't wait

• Like x 1
  18. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

Nope, you are way off. Where did I say I made a decision? I am not willing to lose the 7500. Just looking for some input to see if there was something I hadn't thought of.

19. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

You can wait a little while. I got mine 3 weeks after I configured. HOWEVER, you must take delivery in Nov/Dec if you want the full tax credit. Don't miss out on $3750! I guess it depends on how lucky you feel. If you order in Sept. you'll probably be OK.

20. Nevertipsy

Nevertipsy Member

My car deliver was delayed twice. I'm FINALLY getting to see mine on Friday, I rather not risk missing the federal tax rebate. That being said.. I think if you submitted in September or October you should still be in the green.