Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got MY delivered, but rear driver door won't close.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
after checking the cars, the outside looks good, with no major gaps or paint issues. But I have to return it since the rear driver door won't close if you have window all the way up. It does not happen. with other side door. I think it's a major defect, I can't believe they missed testing this one.

after checking the cars, the outside looks good, with no major gaps or paint issues. But I have to return it since the rear driver door won't close if you have window all the way up. It does not happen. with other side door. I think it's a major defect, I can't believe they missed testing this one.
“Reject” implies you have not yet taken delivery.

There is no longer a 7 day return period so I wouldn’t count on that.

@glide , yes you can reject within 24hrs of home delivery. Except, you might have to way for the next new build, which is in Feb or March.
Also, you might lose 1 year of free supercharging. That's what Tesla told me over the phone.
If it's simple, I might have it fix at Service Center. The rest of the car looks great, I think I might accept the car and have it fixed at the service center later.

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1
Have you tried re-calibrating the power window actuator? This is very simple to do; Step 1: with the door closed raise the window using the driver's door control panel and hold for 15 seconds. Step 2: Lower the window all the way and hold for 15 seconds. Step 3: Raise the window all the way and hold for 15 seconds. That should reset the power window actuator.

If the door isn't closing because the window is not going down, that should be an easy fix. If door isn't closing because of misalignment, that's a gamble depending how misaligned it is.

If you have home charging, the free supercharging may not be as valuable as you think. I have only supercharged four times this year out of 12,000 miles.

The door closes perfectly if I roll the windows down. If I roll windows up, it won't close. I attached the pictures.
Door closes well if window is rolling down
upload_2020-12-28_21-26-17.png

Door cannot close if window is rolling up
upload_2020-12-28_21-26-58.png

You guys are awesome. This forum is a huge help for Tesla owners. Awsome forum.
After celebrating it seems to work a little bit better. Btw, it seems to me calibrate from driver's seat did not work, I did at the rear driver seat, seems to work.

Anyway, after calibrating, it seems to work a little bit better. I have to slam the door a little bit harder. I know for sure there is something wrong, if the window rolls up, I have to slam the door harder then it closes. With the windows down, I can close the door effortlessly with a little gentile close.
Definitely, when the window is down, the closing door works much better. I will have them fix.
Guys, please help me since I am new to Tesla. Should I reject or accept and have them Fix?

Oh btw, just want to update the rest to help those who are still waiting. My VIN 94xxx is home delivery in the Bay Area. I asked to pick up at Tesla Service Center in Fremont, Tesla claims that Alameda County's COVID19 guidance won't allow them to do it. I believe it's half true. I think we want to sell cars as much as they can before year-end to impress Wall Street. Tesla can close deals more when they do home delivery.
Tesla told me I have 24hrs to inspect then reject if I want. But if I reject, I have to wait for the next build, which is around in Feb or March and I won't qualify for 1-year free supercharge. Now we can understand clearly why Tesla gives free supercharges if you take your Teslas by 12/31. Purely to please Wall Street, purely to make up the numbers for 2020.

As for the car, beside the stupid door, I think it's flawless. Not a single gap that I could find, not a single paint job issues I could find, no indentation with headlights or taillights, they fit perfectly. All electronics in the car work as suppose to be. All buttons work, some might take a few tries (rolldown back seats and steering wheels), don't panic if they don't work first try, try them again a few times then they will work perfectly.
Let me know if you have questions.

Again, thx a lot for the help guys.

You guys are awesome. This forum is a huge help for Tesla owners. Awsome forum.
After celebrating it seems to work a little bit better. Btw, it seems to me calibrate from driver's seat did not work, I did at the rear driver seat, seems to work.

Anyway, after calibrating, it seems to work a little bit better. I have to slam the door a little bit harder. I know for sure there is something wrong, if the window rolls up, I have to slam the door harder then it closes. With the windows down, I can close the door effortlessly with a little gentile close.
Definitely, when the window is down, the closing door works much better. I will have them fix.
Guys, please help me since I am new to Tesla. Should I reject or accept and have them Fix?

Could be the glass is tilted towards the cabin to much. I had that issue on my X and fixed it myself. Not an easy DIY job but a piece of cake for the SC.

You should be able to assess that yourself though. Compare how early the glass contacts the gasket (in particular at the top) as you close the door with the window up between the 4 doors. You can also slide a credit card between the gasket and glass and compare how snug it is to push the card between in all 4 doors with the door shut and window fully up.

My door closed fine but it caused a seal on the inside to open up as the door closed because the glass was tilted to sharply towards the cabin and letting in road noise when the window was pushed out as the door shut. It was a bugger to figure out.

Oh btw, just want to update the rest to help those who are still waiting. My VIN 94xxx is home delivery in the Bay Area. I asked to pick up at Tesla Service Center in Fremont, Tesla claims that Alameda County's COVID19 guidance won't allow them to do it. I believe it's half true. I think we want to sell cars as much as they can before year-end to impress Wall Street. Tesla can close deals more when they do home delivery.
Tesla told me I have 24hrs to inspect then reject if I want. But if I reject, I have to wait for the next build, which is around in Feb or March and I won't qualify for 1-year free supercharge. Now we can understand clearly why Tesla gives free supercharges if you take your Teslas by 12/31. Purely to please Wall Street, purely to make up the numbers for 2020.

As for the car, beside the stupid door, I think it's flawless. Not a single gap that I could find, not a single paint job issues I could find, no indentation with headlights or taillights, they fit perfectly. All electronics in the car work as suppose to be. All buttons work, some might take a few tries (rolldown back seats and steering wheels), don't panic if they don't work first try, try them again a few times then they will work perfectly.
Let me know if you have questions.

Again, thx a lot for the help guys.

If everything else is great I would accept and just make a service appointment in the app to fix the door/window. Ideally do this in the app within 24 hours.

I had the same issue but on my passenger rear door... I had SC take a look at it when I brought my car in. He said it’s a combination of a few things causing it. But the main culprit are the rubber seals inside the door. It’s brand new and needs time to soften up. Also it could be the air pressure inside if it’s the last door to be closed. Hence why it closes with the windows down. Have you tried closing it with the windows up with other doors open? If it’s still not closing without more pressure then it’s most likely the the rubber seal around your door.

I would keep it if everything else looks good. Just Bring it to SC and have them check it out. Also it’s not guaranteed if you will get a better car on the next one. I think one issue is fixable. I had about 4-6 issues and still accepted delivery. Had the SC fixed them with no issues.

Last edited:
quick update on my rear door issue: The mobile service guy came to my house, it was a very quick appointment, nice work from Tesla. As @miggz410 said, it's the rubber/gasket door that causes the issue and so it also could be the pressure in since we tried to open the door on the other side then we did not have a closing issue. Anyway, the service guy thinks it's a brand new rubber that causes the issue since it's too stiff/hard, and he thinks it will be soft as time goes by, hence it will solve the issue. The issue is not that bad, I can close it with more force, so we decided not to do anything and wait and see what will happen a few months from now. The service guy put down the note, if a few months from now we still have the issue, then I bring it to Tesla SC to fix it for free. I think this might be a common issue for the new Model Y, other people have the same issue. Is not that bad, you can still close it with more force, but it's not as smooth as other doors.

M
quick update on my rear door issue: The mobile service guy came to my house, it was a very quick appointment, nice work from Tesla. As @miggz410 said, it's the rubber/gasket door that causes the issue and so it also could be the pressure in since we tried to open the door on the other side then we did not have a closing issue. Anyway, the service guy thinks it's a brand new rubber that causes the issue since it's too stiff/hard, and he thinks it will be soft as time goes by, hence it will solve the issue. The issue is not that bad, I can close it with more force, so we decided not to do anything and wait and see what will happen a few months from now. The service guy put down the note, if a few months from now we still have the issue, then I bring it to Tesla SC to fix it for free. I think this might be a common issue for the new Model Y, other people have the same issue. Is not that bad, you can still close it with more force, but it's not as smooth as other doors.
Hi- Just wondering if the issue got any better. I took my delivery a few days ago and have exactly the same issue where driver side rear passenger door requires extra force to close when window is up.

wow, the more I read all these people having issues with the build quality, I am nervous about buying a 2021 Y. What kind of people are building these things? For 52K+ for a car, you would not expect issues popping up all over the place. My wife just ordered a model 3 3 weeks ago. we will see how it looks on delivery day. Fingers crossed.