Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Delivery email , but how do I postpone and can I postpone until after January 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are waiting for the build back better bill, don’t lose your time, it will never pass, if it passes it means an economic war with Mexico and canada, and almost all the rare earth and most of the exotic metals come from canada, and massive penalty will be set on those, if it goes thru the penalty will raise the price of every car made in the us by about 10000 for ICE and 20000 for EV.

I have seen memo on the federal penalty for some strategic metals of 5000% anb more.

If you are waiting for the build back better bill, don’t lose your time, it will never pass, if it passes it means an economic war with Mexico and canada, and almost all the rare earth and most of the exotic metals come from canada, and massive penalty will be set on those, if it goes thru the penalty will raise the price of every car made in the us by about 10000 for ICE and 20000 for EV.

I have seen memo on the federal penalty for some strategic metals of 5000% anb more.
Still, with the possibility that it passes in the future, the smarter thing for OP to do is definitely wait/hold as it’s only 2 weeks till 2022…

Right, that it may not pass, but you are dead wrong about Canada and Mexico. The bill favors North America - US Mexico, and Canada. Mexico and Canada are on the free trade partners list.

They cancelled my order the last time there was a potential incentive and I tried to delay delivery. Tesla likely won't let you push the order to '23. In retrospect, I wish I had taken delivery.
Me too, I was actually eyeing the car in October 2021, the only reason I hesitated because I still had student loans to pay. I had finally paid them off. Now one has to analyze if it’s even worth to wait when interest go higher. Currently I can get from my CU, loan at rate as low as 3.75 that is lower than what Tesla financing starts at.

Also if by the time credit is available Tesla may up the price on base range closer to maximum cap on sedans and make federal tax credit less relevant, instead of saving money, more money would just go to Tesla but it might also cause revolt and incentivize people for alternative EVs.

I also had my eye on ID4 but heard issues about OTA updates and last time I visited VW dealership the experience was not great making me want to skip dealerships even more.

I am in similar position for year 2022 unless the law takes effect this year. I have just put order and got estimated delivery Nov-Jan. I also hope to receive federal tax credit for base M3 purchase and trade my worn out Corolla 2011.
Another year, another potential EV incentive - Here we go again! I would avoid intentionally trying to delay delivery just to qualify. Many people played this game last year and either got their orders straight up cancelled with zero recourse (my FIL and @Physicslawyer) or never got to take advantage of a bill that eventually died. Prices had gone up afterwards so it truly sucked for the people who got their orders cancelled. But Tesla does what it wants because demand is not a factor.

Another year, another potential EV incentive - Here we go again! I would avoid intentionally trying to delay delivery just to qualify. Many people played this game last year and either got their orders straight up cancelled with zero recourse (my FIL and @Physicslawyer) or never got to take advantage of a bill that eventually died. Prices had gone up afterwards so it truly sucked for the people who got their orders cancelled. But Tesla does what it wants because demand is not a factor.
I also learned there is a risk that even when bill passes, model base 3 may still not qualify due to LFP batteries sourced from China.

So I think I have those options:
1. ignore tax credit incentive and be will to spend more on EV, focus on getting loan locked with interest rate as early as possible to get locked in lower interest rate before they go up further
2. Shop for other EV vehicles, such as VW ID4, bZ4X, others. Then in future trade the car for a Tesla vehicle when prices normalize.

At 4am I received an email from Tesla saying my Model Y is ready for delivery!
When I log into my Tesla account the button is there “accept delivery”.
Im super stocked but with the hopefully soon EV tax credits after January 1st, I think it is wise to postpone delivery until the new year.
1. what’s the best way to postpone delivery call Service advisor or in person at dealer?
2. can I delay delivery until after January 1st?
3. also do you need to tell them a good excuse as a reason for postpoming?

Thank you in advance.
you didn't read the EV tax credit proposal thoroughly. It is only for orders placed after December 31st. If you placed an order before and accepted delivery after December 31st, your credit reverts to the previous credit, which tesla no longer qualifies for.

• Helpful
Reactions: privater
you didn't read the EV tax credit proposal thoroughly. It is only for orders placed after December 31st. If you placed an order before and accepted delivery after December 31st, your credit reverts to the previous credit, which tesla no longer qualifies for.
This. So it's a moot point for anyone with a Tesla currently on order. You get nada regardless of when you take delivery. (Of course, here in NJ, you pay no sales tax on EV's, a significant savings).

And another calculation for those thinking of canceling a current order so they can get delivery after 1/1/2023 - how much in gas savings are you going to miss out on between now and when you actually get a car (which may not be until 3Q2023...)?

My EDD is 12 Aug - 9 Sep. I’m locked in at $67,990, I qualify for a new IL $4K cash rebate and have been offered as much as $64K for my my 2020 LR AWD Y. I might do a little better by playing the delay game but who knows how it will actually play out in the end. So I want my PMY NOW and get on with enjoying it.

Reactions: DanDi58
I believe that that provision allows vehicles that don't qualify for the new credit, like a European built Audi can still use the old credit. A 2022 Tesla order would not "revert" to disqualification with a post Dec 31 delivery. All 2023 and beyond DELIVERIES of qualified EVs get the credit regardless of when ordered.

Reactions: Pranay B
I witnessed hundreds of buyers get burned trying to time vaporous tax incentives. And I saved tens of thousands of dollar$ by taking delivery of my July '21 order in a timely manner. Having saved twice the value of any potential tax incentive, by ordering at the opportune time, I sympathize with all those who postponed delivery and those now facing soaring interest rates and climbing MSRPs.

Reactions: nate704