Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my financed M3P without bank check...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like stupid but I can not find any post like my situation.

I picked up my M3P yesterday and I realized something went wrong with my payment.

Here is the thing, I ordered my car at the end of Jan 2022 and I chose to pay in full cash at the payment section. And I decided to get a loan right before the pick up date

so, I contacted my dealer to change my payment type. After change my payment type I paid around 18k thru the Tesla app from my checking account and

I applied for an auto loan at Bank of America (still in progress which means I didn't get approved yet for my auto loan).

And the next day I went to the Tesla to pick my car up, and I signed on a few papers like what you guys did then I drove back home.

and I realized I didn't provide anything about the rest of the payment and I rapidly checked up my MVPA in my glove box. its written $0 amount due from buyer also there is

NO financed amount on section 5.D. Also, a woman who helped to get a car key never asked about financial things.

How is it possible? I still haven't got an approved auto loan yet from BofA!

Is this $18K brand new M3P for me? what should I do?

Yeah that’s kinda crazy. I also got my loan through Bank of America, which is quite the process. All my paperwork was completed correctly so I didn’t have anything like that going on but the guy at Tesla did say something about something being unique with how they handle BoA loans.

Still surprised they let you drive off with it from what you’re describing though.

Upvote 0
Yeah that’s kinda crazy. I also got my loan through Bank of America, which is quite the process. All my paperwork was completed correctly so I didn’t have anything like that going on but the guy at Tesla did say something about something being unique with how they handle BoA loans.

Still surprised they let you drive off with it from what you’re describing though.
So do you think that I don't need to pay? lol

Upvote 0
That would be a pretty screaming deal but I’m sure they’ll figure it out eventually lol.

When I picked up mine I gave them a cashiers check for the down payment and then just a copy of the truth in lending disclosure from BoA which has the stuff like amount financed, term of loan, etc.

Upvote 0
That would be a pretty screaming deal but I’m sure they’ll figure it out eventually lol.

When I picked up mine I gave them a cashiers check for the down payment and then just a copy of the truth in lending disclosure from BoA which has the stuff like amount financed, term of loan, etc.
Right? That is the right procedure giving them a cashiers check or certified check from third party. They didn't even ask about financial things. This is totally insane..

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that if Tesla thinks you didn't pay for the car, they can disable it remotely.

While contacting them to explain what happened and get the financials straightened out might prove difficult, it's most likely in your best interest to do so, lest you find your car shut down by the mothership at a very inopportune time.

Reactions: Not That M3
Upvote 0
It sounds like stupid but I can not find any post like my situation.

I picked up my M3P yesterday and I realized something went wrong with my payment.

Here is the thing, I ordered my car at the end of Jan 2022 and I chose to pay in full cash at the payment section. And I decided to get a loan right before the pick up date

so, I contacted my dealer to change my payment type. After change my payment type I paid around 18k thru the Tesla app from my checking account and

I applied for an auto loan at Bank of America (still in progress which means I didn't get approved yet for my auto loan).

And the next day I went to the Tesla to pick my car up, and I signed on a few papers like what you guys did then I drove back home.

and I realized I didn't provide anything about the rest of the payment and I rapidly checked up my MVPA in my glove box. its written $0 amount due from buyer also there is

NO financed amount on section 5.D. Also, a woman who helped to get a car key never asked about financial things.

How is it possible? I still haven't got an approved auto loan yet from BofA!

Is this $18K brand new M3P for me? what should I do?

What I dont understand (frankly) is, if this is actually a true story, why did you join TMC specifically to share this story, vs either trying to fix the issue, or, if you think you are going to get away with it, going on with your life, looking over your shoulder waiting for them to find out or not?

Are you expecting people to say "Oh yeah we have heard of that, congratulations on your super reduced price car!"? Even if people said that, it would have no bearing on what might or might not happen in your case.

If you sit around and do nothing, they are likely to find out, and its probably going to cost some delivery person their job because this isnt supposed to happen. If you go back down there with your bank check and properly pay, perhaps someone doesnt lose their job. In both cases, eventually, someone is going to figure it out, and either send a demand for money or send you to collections for the money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not sure if this was resolved, but I had a similar feeling with my purchase. Basically, it turns out, the document my bank sent Tesla (through me) is effectively treated as a Promise to Pay. It took several phone calls with both my bank and my SA (and another SA) to understand this, because the instructions on the document otherwise indicated that I needed multiple additional steps completed to get financing. That was technically true, but nowhere was it indicated that all these steps wouldn’t be completed until AFTER I took the vehicle. It was very stressful because I had to fly to a different state for pickup, so I didn’t want to get screwed over for some silly admin mistake.

But, I drove the car home and they sorted out the financing themselves afterward. It was the weirdest feeling.

Upvote 0