Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my first electricity bill since I started charging at home... holy *sugar* its high!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Billing period was 62 days and the way it works with my area is I get BASIC LIFELINE rate @.12 cents and NON LIFELINE @.1974 cents. Everyday I get 10KW @.12 cents

BASIC LIFELINE 620 KWH $74.40 (62 day)
NON LIFELINE 4062 KWH $801.84

with all other fees its almost 1000 dollars this last two months. My highest bill was about $400 since I've lived here.

Can anyone tell me how many KW it takes to charge from 20 to 90%?? I was under the impression that charging from 20 to 90 puts about 50kWh. I charge my car every two days.

Electric car charging calculator

State of charge
Current:
%
52 mi

Desired:
%
233 mi

Charge by: 70 %
181 mi [1]
Charging speed
23.9 mph
Charging time
7 h 36 min
Socket output
7.7 kW

Battery intake [2]
6.9 kW
Price per kWh

Charging costs
$11.5

[1] Average vehicle efficiency ≈ 29.0 kWh/100 mi
[2] Average charging efficiency ≈ 90%

11.5 per charge , im still not sure why my bill is that high

Do you have ToU (Time of Use) to get discount at night?

Check the website of your utiity company, They might provide you some daily and hourly graphical information.

Install a separate watmeter next to your UMC so you can easilly determine how much electricity you used for charging.

Do you know how many kiloWatt you used for charging? Compare with your mileage. You need about 300 W per mile.
(Add 10% for charging losses)

Billing period was 62 days and the way it works with my area is I get BASIC LIFELINE rate @.12 cents and NON LIFELINE @.1974 cents. Everyday I get 10KW @.12 cents

with all other fees its almost 1000 dollars this last two months. My highest bill was about $400 since I've lived here.

Can anyone tell me how many KW it takes to charge from 20 to 90%?? I was under the impression that charging from 20 to 90 puts about 50kWh. I charge my car every two days.

The correct units for energy are kWh, not "KW". See Extended Warranty opinions ... - My Nissan Leaf Forum. You got it right for some of your post.

You're on California Lifeline Program yet you bought an S?

12 (for tier 1) and 19.7 cents (for tier 2) per kWh is quite cheap for California. I'm on Pacific Gouge & Extort E-6. See page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf. Depending on time of day and whether it's within baseline or beyond it, it ranges from 19.7 to 47.4 cents per kWh. Luckily, I get free charging from work (+ sometimes use free public charging) and almost never charge at home.

In my most recent bill, I used ~248 kWh in a 31 day billing period. I was within baseline. My tier 1 allowance was 306.9 kWh. Electricity beyond that costs more $.

The electric portion of my bill came out to $57.73. This includes taxes and fees.

In checking my PG&E history, in the past year, the most kWh I've used in a month was 308. It was also my most expensive at $59.91.

If you want a lower bill, you're going to have to look to other plans (e.g. TOU), drive more efficiently and cut your other energy usage that's being metered at home. You may want to look to see if there's any free charging via PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You. You'd want to filter by J1772 + Tesla plugs. You could also look for NEMA 14-50 plugs but you won't find many and you'd need to use your mobile connector + NEMA 14-50 adapter. I don't think you want to spend $450 on a CHAdeMO Adapter unless there are free CHAdeMO stations near you that you can suck down a ton of juice from.

Does your S have free included Supercharging?

BTW, for reference, https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf page 1 is how expensive E-1, the default non-TOU non-lifeline plan is. Baseline in my area is only about 300ish kWh for 30 day period, depending on time of year and with nat gas heating. With your crazy usage, if you were on E-1, quite a bit of your usage would cost 50.6 cents per kWh.
Do you know how many kiloWatt you used for charging? Compare with your mileage. You need about 300 W per mile.
(Add 10% for charging losses)
Do you mean kilowatt hours (kWh)? On the latter, you mean 300 watt-hours (Wh) per mile?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and liuping
Simple math says that 10 kWh per night for 60 days at $0.20 is $120. Something else is going on. You need to call the power company and make sure they read the meter correctly. I have NEVER heard of a bill this high in over 5 years of me watching people charge their EVs and reporting costs.

BTW, for the extra $300/month they're saying you used, at $0.20/kWh, that's 1,500 kWh, or 15 complete charges on a 100D in 30 days. Conservatively, that's 4,500 miles a month (or 54,000 miles a year). See how it doesn't pass the smell test. They clearly screwed something up on your billing!!!

I have a similar issue with SCE. They have a tiered system. First so much is pretty cheap, then when you get to the next tier it almost doubles and then again for the 3rd tier.

Small users get relatively inexpensive juice for their basic needs, but if you use more than just the essentials you get hit pretty hard.

Makes Unlimited Supercharging much more valuable. Can charge up on the way home from work at Supercharger, then still keep my home usage for just the basics.

Everybody seems to have a different system, and everybody uses their smarts to get the best deal they can.

I have unlimited super charging which I used pretty often until I had the NEMA 14-50 installed. Just moved into this house in So Cal 6 months ago.

My power consumption bill

362 kWh 17 day bill
1360 kWh 59 day bill
444 kWh 61 day bill
4682 kWh 62 day bill. - Started charging at home

I just do not understand how charging how charging every two day can add up to that many kwh.

I drive 1300-1500 miles a month. and my car shows 318 Wh for the last 6700 milles since june 22 the date of purchase

The last time I saw someone report something like this they ended up finding out that their water heater system was malfunctioning and using all the extra energy.

The other option is that there is something wrong with your meter, if nothing else is using a lot of power it could be counting the charging double for some reason. (Demand charges?)

We installed solar last year. We haven't had an electric bill in 8 months. :cool:
While that sounds amazing, you havent factored the initial solar investment costs into your calculation. The correct answer is, while i havent received a electricuty bill, my monthly payments into our solar financing loan are 235 a month for 10 years. (totally assuming you financed and didn't just outright purchase the system)

Wrong. We paid cash.
look at big money bags over here. So now you have dig yourself out of that 20k solar system @ an avg of $175 a month (that would have otherwise been your bill). Assuming that this example is correct ( it isn't, its only an example). It'll take around 9 1/2 years before you can actually throw stunna shades on. Math is cool.

It's not your car, dude. Been hitting the AC much?