Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my first electricity bill since I started charging at home... holy *sugar* its high!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My power company has a EV program but I would need to install a separate meter out of pocket. Will find out the cost tomorrow friday when I go down to city planning and building.

RATES Per Meter Summer Per Meter Winter Customer Charge: $5.00 $5.00 Energy Charge:
All on-peak energy, per kWh 26.34¢ 25.63¢
Plus all off-peak energy, per kWh 11.17¢ 10.56¢

look at big money bags over here. So now you have dig yourself out of that 20k solar system @ an avg of $175 a month (that would have otherwise been your bill). Assuming that this example is correct ( it isn't, its only an example). It'll take around 9 1/2 years before you can actually throw stunna shades on. Math is cool.
That is a cool 10% annual rate of return on the money invested -- try to get that at your local bank. Math is cool.

E
...IF the variables hold and the scenario continues to play out long enough as one is predicting to be able to cross over above 0 to get to achieve that expected rate of return. See what we're getting at?
No, I'm not sure what you're getting at -- The RoR will only get better as electrical rates go up. With no rate increase, after 9.5 yrs, it's pure profit AND the value of your home is ~$20K higher, regardless of RoR.

No, I'm not sure what you're getting at -- The RoR will only get better as electrical rates go up. With no rate increase, after 9.5 yrs, it's pure profit AND the value of your home is ~$20K higher, regardless of RoR.
You don't get it? It was the very first word of my comment, and I put it in bold: "IF"
If the house doesn't burn down. If you live that long. If you are still living there and don't move. If your state continues to allow net metering. If... If...
Plans, predictions, and expectations are not guaranteed; not much in life is. If things play out as people have planned for and hope for things to continue to play out that way, then they should probably be able to get to those positive returns. But until it happens, it hasn't happened, and isn't a sure thing.

Wow, that's expensive electricity. It's $0.11 kW/h here without any TOU restrictions.

Solar makes sense, but the ROI isn't there for lots of folks. If you consider a $20K investment in something like the stock market, you can count on something like a 6% rate of increase, not counting dividends.

Plus you have liquidity. For a $20,000 investment, you'd have to spend $2000/yr or $166 a month in electricity for a 10 year break even.

But that ignores that if you were earning 6% interest on your investment, you would have $35,000 at the end of 10 years. So your electricity cost would have to be $291/month.

Will you be able to get by with just a $20K investment? Not in California from what I've seen. I've seen estimates (to provide coverage for nearly all electricity and two EVs) approximately $43K.

And Tesla charges for their supercharging there, about $0.22 kW/h from what I recall.

This is totally not what I expected when I purchase the tesla. Completely blind sided me with this bill.

My PGE bill actually went down after I got my P85D because I was on PGE E1 before and well into tier 5 and running about $300 / month. After I went onto EV-A, it went down to about $200. Now I'm back up to $300 again because PG&E has jacked rates a ton in the last 5 years.

My roundtrip commute is 260 miles and I drive it once or twice a a week.