Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my first flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kyushujet

Sep 13, 2018
TX
Was driving in the city last night around 7p and tire pressure warning light came on. Was able to get out of the express lane and exit with 17 psi and pull over. Called roadside and they sent a tow truck to take my car to a local service center. It would be around 90 mins and I didn’t have to wait for the truck to arrive. Was hoping to get a call from the Plano service center by this afternoon but hadn’t heard anything, so I called at 115p. I guess I ended up getting the National help desk because he had to call in to Plano and then told me all service advisors were busy and would get back to me. I’m looking at the self appointment link for Plano and it says next available appointment is next week. Hmmm... Is my car stuck there for days now? I was hoping to have my car back by today. Anyone have experience with getting your flat repaired at a Tesla service center? The advisor on the initial call last night said everything was covered under the 4 year warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I think it really makes sense to at least have a spare tire at home (or a friend with a spare tire). That way you can just swap the wheel and drive to a local tire store.
yea that could be a good alternative for local drives. When I had to replace my tires last year, I went to discount tire and got some great tires for a lot less than Tesla would charge as other poster mentions. My thinking is that since they are nationwide and most of my traveling is cross-country, I just get a tow to the nearest one and have them replace it. Fortunately, that has not happened yet.

yea that could be a good alternative for local drives. When I had to replace my tires last year, I went to discount tire and got some great tires for a lot less than Tesla would charge as other poster mentions. My thinking is that since they are nationwide and most of my traveling is cross-country, I just get a tow to the nearest one and have them replace it. Fortunately, that has not happened yet.
I have a spare that I take with me on road trips. There are many horror stories about people waiting hours for a tow and then waiting more than a day to get back on the road.

Was driving in the city last night around 7p and tire pressure warning light came on. Was able to get out of the express lane and exit with 17 psi and pull over. Called roadside and they sent a tow truck to take my car to a local service center. It would be around 90 mins and I didn’t have to wait for the truck to arrive. Was hoping to get a call from the Plano service center by this afternoon but hadn’t heard anything, so I called at 115p. I guess I ended up getting the National help desk because he had to call in to Plano and then told me all service advisors were busy and would get back to me. I’m looking at the self appointment link for Plano and it says next available appointment is next week. Hmmm... Is my car stuck there for days now? I was hoping to have my car back by today. Anyone have experience with getting your flat repaired at a Tesla service center? The advisor on the initial call last night said everything was covered under the 4 year warranty.
Yes, they sent out a tow truck and towed me to the service center (no spares wheels available).
Service center however had a spare so I put it on. They wanted $50 to plug the tire. I told them I would fix it myself so they put it in the back of my car with a tire bag over it :). Took it to discount tire and had it patched/plugged for free. Took the car back to the service center and they removed the loaner wheel and put my wheel back on.

Your best bet is to carry some tire plugs, and an air compressor with you if you run into a situation like yours. Needle nose pliers to remove the nail, plug kit to plug it, and compressor to re-fill your tire. Have it plug-patched later but the plug should get around for a while until you can setup a way to have it more properly repaired.

I honestly do not think the tire slime will work because our wheels have foam in them. Plus it will likely destroy your tire and TPMS sensors.

Reactions: dfwatt
My preference is to have a donut spare tire in my trunk and a jack with me, like in the good ol'days.

Like many other fancy cars, Tesla does not provide donut tires. So I made one using the following components:

- Used 18x4 steel wheel from spare compact donut wheel designed for Maxda CX-5/CX-7. (5x114.3 67.1)
- 135/80R18 Donut tire (Tire Rack has these) - about the same rolling diameter than Tesla OEM tires, but half as wide.
- Hub Centric 2" (50mm) Wheel Adapters Spacers 5x114.3 For Tsx Accord Civic Cr-V (needed to clear the caliper)
- Hub centric ring to place between the honda/tesla spec'd spacer (64.1) and Mazda center bore diameter (67.1)

I would not run rally with this but at least I am no longer afraid of staying stranded because of a flat :)

My preference is to have a donut spare tire in my trunk and a jack with me, like in the good ol'days.

Like many other fancy cars, Tesla does not provide donut tires. So I made one using the following components:

- Used 18x4 steel wheel from spare compact donut wheel designed for Maxda CX-5/CX-7. (5x114.3 67.1)
- 135/80R18 Donut tire (Tire Rack has these) - about the same rolling diameter than Tesla OEM tires, but half as wide.
- Hub Centric 2" (50mm) Wheel Adapters Spacers 5x114.3 For Tsx Accord Civic Cr-V (needed to clear the caliper)
- Hub centric ring to place between the honda/tesla spec'd spacer (64.1) and Mazda center bore diameter (67.1)

I would not run rally with this but at least I am no longer afraid of staying stranded because of a flat :)
18" Hyundai Genesis alloy spare fits without spacers. I did ream the holes out to fit the 14mm studs.

• Informative
Reactions: Neo1974
The issue is having a portable jack that can accept a model 3 jackpad.
Then how do you store the jack, tire iron and spare without having it lose and shifting around?
I made an adapter for an VW/Audi jack and I put it in a bag in the frunk. There's someone who sells them too.
kCTKH7gSQG+9g4nGCCuioQ.jpg

I had a flat last week and was stuck at home. The tire wouldn't hold enough air to get to my local tire store. I called Tesla roadside assistance. They warned me that out here in CA mobile service techs don't carry the 20" performance tires with them but he would check. He called me back in 5 min after confirming it was true. They ended up towing to my local service center. I got my car back that afternoon. Tire was around the same cost as going through Tirerack or Discount Tire based on a quick search. Best of luck!

Flats are a huge hassle, need special tow truck, special settings. ugh.
That is why I got the Tesla flat kit

It has electrical pump to fill tire and can of goop to seal flat.
You could try filling the tire and if slow leak may not need to use the goop.

https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-tire-repair-kit.html

it has sealant in it, I think it may ruin tire, but beats tow, not having car etc.

yes, good point. I have that too, but I also realize there might be a situation occur where the tire kit won't help me. I'm not going to carry a spare tire with me on a trip.

Yes, they sent out a tow truck and towed me to the service center (no spares wheels available).
Service center however had a spare so I put it on. They wanted $50 to plug the tire. I told them I would fix it myself so they put it in the back of my car with a tire bag over it :). Took it to discount tire and had it patched/plugged for free. Took the car back to the service center and they removed the loaner wheel and put my wheel back on.

Your best bet is to carry some tire plugs, and an air compressor with you if you run into a situation like yours. Needle nose pliers to remove the nail, plug kit to plug it, and compressor to re-fill your tire. Have it plug-patched later but the plug should get around for a while until you can setup a way to have it more properly repaired.

I honestly do not think the tire slime will work because our wheels have foam in them. Plus it will likely destroy your tire and TPMS sensors.
50 for a 5 minute plug is a bit excessive