Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got My Model 3 Delivered Today......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model 3 today. I must said I was impressed and did not expect Tesla can deliver the car in just 2 weeks. I ordered M3 LR RWD Midnight Silver, only upgrades are EAP and future full self drive.

However, it was not a pleasure delivery. The original appointment was set for 10AM in the morning for direct delivery to my home. At almost 11AM, I got the call from Tesla said they identified something wrong with the car and will need to delay to appointment to around 12:30PM. At 12:30PM, got another call said cannot be fixed, need to delay to Tuesday. I replied my wife and I will not be available on Tuesday. The guy on the phone said he promised he will fix the issue and deliver around 2PM. Finally, someone called me at 2:45PM and said he is almost at my home.

I thought the story will end here, but not. The delivery guy is nice, but he said this is his first delivery and he is not actually familiar with this car(he work in the previous Solar City division). Therefore, he cannot walk us through the all the features. And, since he drove my Model 3 to my home, he will need to leave via uber and uber is almost here for him. We only got around 10 minutes to check with car.... He did said that we have 3 days to inspect the car and report any issues we found.

Before he left, we identified 2 issues with him.
1. Front bumper is not aligned well on passenger side. Driver side is ok.
front_bumper.jpg

2. Dirty smudges on driver side sunvisor and a pillar.
smudge.jpg

After he left, we identified more issues.
3. One of the card key is deformed.
keycard.jpg

4. Chrome trim was damaged on the driver-side near the rear view mirror.
chrome_damage.jpg

5. Rear bumper is not aligned well on the driver side.
rear_bumper.jpg

6. Inside the rear trunk, it seems the car body structure is exposed without paint, is this normal? And, I do noticed some rust stains on the car structure......
rust_inside_trunk.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Write it all down and schedule a SC visit. They'll take it to a body shop and will provide you with a loaner car. You should be able to wipe those finger prints off yourself. The material on the sun visors clean easily.

...One of the card key is deformed...

I can't see the deformity by looking at the picture. Is it bulging at the center? Is it crooked and does not lay completely flat?...

...Inside the rear trunk...

You should work at Tesla Quality department. That's a very good inspection!

I went to look at my Model 3 upside down and notice that the color is not the same as the car's. I guess this is a primer paint only?

There's no rust in mine so this might be a premature rust.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and P85_DA
TZ, I'd reject the vehicle outright. You've requested a RWD, and there are plenty of these readily available right now. Your poor-quality vehicle is uncommon, but you're being jammed with an imperfect car as Tesla tries to clear the decks to maximize Q3 delivery numbers. If you reject the car timely, it's even possible they'll have one in perfect condition for you by 9/30, such is their desire to maximize Q3 deliveries. And if not, you'll surely get another RWD by early in October due to tremendous availability (particularly in your location relative to Fremont).

FWIW, my car at delivery had just one minor issue. Not over a half-dozen as yours has. Tesla needs to do better, and they only will if people begin rejecting their cars rather than allowing Tesla to make their money at delivery and incur the repair cost later.

Did any of you inspect so close your previous purchased new cars? I bought mine some 11 years ago, I never looked that close. Kind of like renting a car, walk around, all seems there, awesome. Some things can be better, but overall congrats!

Both bumper alignments don't look too bad. I would not want them to touch bumpers and risk making them worse.

Card key and window trim are easy fix. Mobile range can fix those in less than an hour at your house/office.

Try clean the sunvisor yourself. If you can't, that's an easy fix. Congrats on the new ride.

Reactions: neroden
Really? His car is better than mine was.
Yes, I'd advise rejecting the vehicle. We all know that rework is never going to be as good as what comes from the factory, particularly when it comes to paint. Further, rejected deliveries provide a motivation for Tesla to stop focusing solely on increasing the production rate (thereby kicking quality issues down the road a bit, to the service centers and at a high cash cost and high PR cost as well). There's a balance, at Tesla isn't striking that balance yet.

Reactions: hiroshiy
TZ, I'd reject the vehicle outright. You've requested a RWD, and there are plenty of these readily available right now. Your poor-quality vehicle is uncommon, but you're being jammed with an imperfect car as Tesla tries to clear the decks to maximize Q3 delivery numbers. If you reject the car timely, it's even possible they'll have one in perfect condition for you by 9/30, such is their desire to maximize Q3 deliveries. And if not, you'll surely get another RWD by early in October due to tremendous availability (particularly in your location relative to Fremont).

FWIW, my car at delivery had just one minor issue. Not over a half-dozen as yours has. Tesla needs to do better, and they only will if people begin rejecting their cars rather than allowing Tesla to make their money at delivery and incur the repair cost later.

Agreed ... I would reject it, esp knowing that RWDs are now readily available.

Reactions: hiroshiy
1. Front bumper is not aligned well on passenger side. Driver side is ok.
View attachment 337277

About screw driver and about 1 minute.

TZ, I'd reject the vehicle outright.

Getting tired about hearing about panel gaps and minor defects all the time. I've manually fixed bad gaps in all my previous cars, it's only been a minor complaint among very very OCD enthusiasts who spent their weekends in their garage staring at their cars. I actually realigned a door in my new BMW M3 once. I had a car delivered from a major manufacturer that had a long piece of trim that was missing clearcoat entirely. Chip in paint or trim? After 2 months there's a hundred others already, even if you successfully saran wrapped your whole car. But now apparently every Tesla must be absolutely perfect.

Almost feel like Tesla should include anti-bikeshedding features on every car sold. Just misalign one panel so f****** badly, that everything else looks fine. Fix in under 1 minutes at complaint time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shizzrock
Not sure the front bumper alignment is out of spec. Looks acceptable to me. Rust and some of the other stuff needs repair.
Having the point stick out like that is a recipe for wind noise and premature paint wear. Mine is like this and I intend to have them fix it (it shouldn't be that difficult).

The tougher sell I expect will be getting them to fix the chrome height on the rear driver's side door. Not sure how much room they have there for adjustment but it's sitting a bit high on mine (the passenger side is good).

Overall mines was pretty good. The trunk is a little off relative to the rear bumper, the lip that shows is somewhat asymmetrical. I might mention it but I really don't care much about it as it's not a wind critical surface and you have to look very closely to notice it. Same thing on the driver's door, the gap at the front edge is slightly wider at the bottom but it's not near to being touching or anything, it's just a slight difference and won't make any real functional difference. that bumper tip sticking out though as he had pictured, that's not good at all.

Also, one of the clips holding the underside cowling along the front edge of the bumper is somewhat loose. Going to have them reset that, don't want that coming undone at speed.

P.S. The bottom edge fo my headlights are also about maybe 1/8" protruding in front of the surrounding bumper surface. It's not clear to me whether this is intentional to route some air flow to the sides of the vehicle, as my vehicle is symmetrical in this, or just a very common misalignment. I'll probably bring it up while I'm in.