Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Model Y, Got my wall connector installed... now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I had an electrician from Smart Charge install my WC today and I have it connected to my home wifi.

What's next? Call my utility to get offpeak rates? are there apps to track the amount of juice I'm pulling from it? Does it integrate at all with the tesla app, is there a way?

What is everyone else doing that I should?
IMG_6689.jpg

1) Save the Wall Connector manual and paperwork with the password and the QR code in a safe place.

2) Decide if you will be charging using the Schedule Charging or Scheduled Departure Charging and Scheduled Departure Preconditioning. Scheduled Charging starts at the same time each day/evening, i.e. 11PM. Schedule Departure Charging ensures that charging will be completed by a specific time each A.M., i.e. 06:00 A.M. (Usually off-peak rate periods end at this time, even if you are not on a rate plan you would be charging at a time when the power grid is less heavily utilized.) Preconditioning is important in winter, it warms the battery pack and the passenger cabin before your start driving in the A.M. These are all set in the Tesla vehicle from either the Charging screen or the Climate Control screen.

3) You should look into time of use rate plans from your utility company.

4) Save your receipts and submit IRS Form 8911 when you file your 2021 taxes. Installation of the Wall Connector and charging circuit may qualify for a 30% tax credit on the federal tax return for 2021 (the credit is limited to a maximum of $1,000.) About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

5) No stats on the Tesla phone app currently (Charging data is stored in the Tesla vehicle under Trip A and Trip B (Rename Trip B to be Lifetime (Do Not Reset) if you want. (Swipe right on the main Tesla screen to see the charging and usage data. Swipe Up to get to Trip A and Trip B.)

6) The Gen3 Tesla Wall Connector uploads charging data to Tesla. If believe if you know your Gen3 Wall Connector's IP address you can access this data (Sorry, I don't have the link.)

Also:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

I recommend reading the manual sections on charging. Per the manual, you are not supposed to fully charge the battery regularly, so I set mine to 80% charge. While this can be set on the car display, it’s easier in the app. However, you are supposed to keep the car plugged in when not in use.

How much was it? Parts and labor?
$3600 all in. including the wall connector which they had in stock. Definitely more expensive than the other quotes I received but they provided the most informative quote and the master electrician was able to find a route around our finished basement that others had not. Definitely worth it for peace of mind. It’s a 110’ run from breaker to garage and then another 10-15’ to the mounting position.

I don’t know if it’s just here, but the electricians I asked to quote the charger install told me in order to get off-peak electricity rates I would have to install a leased charger from the local power company. With the Tesla WC I wouldn’t be able to access the off-peak rates. I don’t know how I would be able to verify this, but I assume the electricians know what they are talking about. I went with the Tesla WC anyway.

Reactions: ajs847
My power company in Northern Virginia offers an off-peak plan with three different periods -- peak, off peak, and super off peak. I charge my Tesla at 12 am when super off peak begins. They are currently charging me $0.07 a kWh at super off peak! The only catch is that you have to have a smart meter installed at your home. The power company installed one several years at no cost to me.

Regarding energy tracking, I use an iPhone app called Nikola. It records all my charging sessions and trips.

Reactions: ajs847