Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my MY today and....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.... I’ll start with the negatives as that’s what people are most interested in hearing.

1. Drivers rear door is horribly aligned. It’s so mis-aligned that its nicked the black trim on the rear window. Trim will be replaced.
2. Passenger rear door is just slightly off but no issues with its function.
3. Right front fender is slightly off with bumper and light
1-3 are going to be addressed at a future service visit

4. There were a couple of very very minor paint scratches around the lift gate hinge which they touched up before I left
5. The weather stripping around the entire lift gate needs to be replaced. It’s coming off in 2 spots. the service folks fixed one part of it but weren’t able to fix the other part by the right tail light. Part is on order. In the interim I am going to try and fix it myself as I am handy.
6. The right front mirror cap wasn’t fully seated. They told me they are going to just replace it.

On to the positives:
1. Maybe I went in with low expectations but the paint quality wasn’t horrible. Overall its on par with other cars. Maybe I got lucky. If the paint was bad on this car I would have rejected it. And I used to do automotive paint so I am not a complete novice at this stuff. I’m sure its thin paint but it wasn’t littered with dirt in the clear.
2. Tail lights and charger port were surprisingly good.
3. Lift gate worked very smoothly as well even with weatherstrip issue
4. The tech in the car is amazing
5. Car rides very nice and not overly firm even with the inductions.
6. Just finished installing my Gen 3 charger and its charging up now at the full 48amps
7. Roof glass and lift gate line up very well
8. Headliner for the most part is clean and tight

For those still waiting, have faith that your car will be good and you will love it.

Attachments

• 6EF39DE7-A8FD-4DED-9A1A-717C692D33A6.jpeg
    6EF39DE7-A8FD-4DED-9A1A-717C692D33A6.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 117
  • C6D84B60-4FDC-4A92-BEE2-58F29BC634AB.jpeg
    C6D84B60-4FDC-4A92-BEE2-58F29BC634AB.jpeg
    610 KB · Views: 90
I am sorry if I am not blind, I already saw a big problem on your car which u didn't realize. there are 2 different whites on your car. fence is like yellow white and rest body is pure white. so far as I know, some will get it fixed by service center but some was being told it is within spec. Since you already picked it up, good luck with your service center.

.... I’ll start with the negatives as that’s what people are most interested in hearing.

1. Drivers rear door is horribly aligned. It’s so mis-aligned that its nicked the black trim on the rear window. Trim will be replaced.
2. Passenger rear door is just slightly off but no issues with its function.
3. Right front fender is slightly off with bumper and light
1-3 are going to be addressed at a future service visit

4. There were a couple of very very minor paint scratches around the lift gate hinge which they touched up before I left
5. The weather stripping around the entire lift gate needs to be replaced. It’s coming off in 2 spots. the service folks fixed one part of it but weren’t able to fix the other part by the right tail light. Part is on order. In the interim I am going to try and fix it myself as I am handy.
6. The right front mirror cap wasn’t fully seated. They told me they are going to just replace it.

On to the positives:
1. Maybe I went in with low expectations but the paint quality wasn’t horrible. Overall its on par with other cars. Maybe I got lucky. If the paint was bad on this car I would have rejected it. And I used to do automotive paint so I am not a complete novice at this stuff. I’m sure its thin paint but it wasn’t littered with dirt in the clear.
2. Tail lights and charger port were surprisingly good.
3. Lift gate worked very smoothly as well even with weatherstrip issue
4. The tech in the car is amazing
5. Car rides very nice and not overly firm even with the inductions.
6. Just finished installing my Gen 3 charger and its charging up now at the full 48amps
7. Roof glass and lift gate line up very well
8. Headliner for the most part is clean and tight

For those still waiting, have faith that your car will be good and you will love it.
Why would you tell people to have faith if your car was delivered messed up and has not yet been fixed? That is a *lot* of major screw ups for one vehicle.

I would love to hear how Tesla does resolving these issues for you.

Reactions: InternetDude
The driver door paint looks mismatched, and possibly the hood and bumpers. the bumpers I am a little more forgiving because at certain angles or lighting a plastic bumper can appear to be of a different shade than metal doors/bumpers/fenders.

but yeah, my eyes tell me not all the metal panels are matched.

I get upset every time I see the picture of white Model Y with mismatching paint on the doors, which was why I rejected delivery last Saturday (here is the pic) I wonder how many are out there.

View attachment 555593

the funny part is Tesla said color difference is WITHIN SPEC between fence and truck door because fence used different material. but now what reason they gonna pull out for color difference on doors?

Reactions: Ba2yev
Definitely the bumpers are not matching with the rest of car. I expected that and as of now I’m willing to accept it. The rest of the car is fine. Might just be the lighting or camera angle.

Tesla lied to customers and said color is different on fence because they use different material, the truth is it also happened on doors. it is issue on their paint on production line. You should file this issue and they may be able to swap it for you in the future.

When you say fence, I am assuming you are talking about the bumper covers? It is true that the plastic bumper covers are typically a slight different color than the metal body panels. The different materials react differently to the paint. With most other manufacturers they are able to get it so close that it usually isn't even noticeable. Obviously Tesla isn't quite there yet. So it actually is true what they are telling you about that. Now their "In spec" excuse they seem to use for everything is obviously pretty damn broad, which is a problem. I'd like to actually see their spec sheet on that one. As for the difference between the doors, there is no excuse for that. I don't even know how that happens unless the doors are painted separately.

When you say fence, I am assuming you are talking about the bumper covers? It is true that the plastic bumper covers are typically a slight different color than the metal body panels. The different materials react differently to the paint. With most other manufacturers they are able to get it so close that it usually isn't even noticeable. Obviously Tesla isn't quite there yet. So it actually is true what they are telling you about that. Now their "In spec" excuse they seem to use for everything is obviously pretty damn broad, which is a problem. I'd like to actually see their spec sheet on that one. As for the difference between the doors, there is no excuse for that. I don't even know how that happens unless the doors are painted separately.

ohhh thanks for this information! that's why I saw different level of color difference on the plastic bumper. some are really bad. and yes it is annoying that Tesla doesnt really have standard out. The same issue brought to different service center will come back with different result. some said they will fix and some said it is within spec.

I see the color difference too. So many of these posts on the Pearl White cars showing the variation forced me to switch to MSM to not have to take the chance. I have seen several posts stating that white on their car was fine. ‍♂️

Definitely the bumpers are not matching with the rest of car. I expected that and as of now I’m willing to accept it. The rest of the car is fine. Might just be the lighting or camera angle.

It's a problem on every white one I've seen and it has to do primarily with the angle with the pearl paint. I would not at all be surprised, given Tesla's absolute ineptitude with regards to paint, to learn they painted panels and door separately, oriented in different directions so the flake laid down different, which creates the color shift inconsistencies at different angles on different panels.

Telsa needs to fire everyone tasked with setting up the paint robots and process and bring in someone that knows what they are doing. Immediately.