Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my MYP back after an accident. Looks better than new tbh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am one of those people who grabbed a test drive vehicle at the end of a quarter. The paint wasnt perfect but i was happy to have the car. I got into an accident on Apr 12 and got the car back on June 28. I was thinking they'd total it. Repairs ended up being over 30k! But s-Y-per is pretty again. Better than when i bought it. The shop even swapped me over to my summer wheels lol.

There is hope after an accident.

This is certainly a Guinness World record !!!

I had a similar accident, except I was rear ended on the left side, on April 28 and got my car back February 2nd of the following year. Well, Covid didn't help.

BTW, how the accident occured? Who was at fault?
So I got cut off in the middle of an intersection and as a reflex I pulled to the left and I ended up hitting oncoming. (They were stopped luckily). I got put at fault because, as my insurance put it, I caused another accident by trying to avoid one.

So I am one of those people who grabbed a test drive vehicle at the end of a quarter. The paint wasnt perfect but i was happy to have the car. I got into an accident on Apr 12 and got the car back on June 28. I was thinking they'd total it. Repairs ended up being over 30k! But s-Y-per is pretty again. Better than when i bought it. The shop even swapped me over to my summer wheels lol.

There is hope after an accident.
damn maybe there's hope for mine. they did a great job on that repair. any rattling or residual signs of damage?

So I got cut off in the middle of an intersection and as a reflex I pulled to the left and I ended up hitting oncoming. (They were stopped luckily). I got put at fault because, as my insurance put it, I caused another accident by trying to avoid one.
That's awful !!! Is there anyway to fight for this?

May be you should had declared having a tiny scratch with the car coming from your right
and make it as an accident with a run away or an uninsured driver?

I cannot count how many time I had to slam on my brakes to avoid a car cutting me off by making a left turn in front of me.
I don't realise that sometime I could had created another accident by avoiding getting in an accident,

Anyway, in my case the rear quarter panel had to be replaced, but the rear quater panel is a single piece starting from the A pillar.
So basically all the driver side and the whole back panel had to be replaced. And the roof glass got broken when removing it.
It would have been simple and faster to total the car.

That's awful !!! Is there anyway to fight for this?

May be you should had declared having a tiny scratch with the car coming from your right
and make it as an accident with a run away or an uninsured driver?

I cannot count how many time I had to slam on my brakes to avoid a car cutting me off by making a left turn in front of me.
I don't realise that sometime I could had created another accident by avoiding getting in an accident,

Anyway, in my case the rear quarter panel had to be replaced, but the rear quater panel is a single piece starting from the A pillar.
So basically all the driver side and the whole back panel had to be replaced. And the roof glass got broken when removing it.
It would have been simple and faster to total the car.
No way to fight it other then trying to like sue them. It was a big Ole cluster. Sorry to hear about your car. Covid really messed everything up.

WTH? What did you do in the meantime? I'm guessing insurance didn't pay for 10 months of rentals.
I have a second smaller car, so it was no too such an issue, especially since I was mostly working at home.
The Tesla was in fact at the shop for 5 months, waiting for parts and a spot available at the body shop.

In the meantime, the car was drivable but the trunk didn't close, so was of limited use. I was able to park in my garage.
During Covid, the body shop had to close to follow state requirements, like the Tesla Fremont Factory did.

I rented from Silvercar.com, an Audi A4, about 6 times during the 10 months for about 2 weeks, at $55 a day,
so with taxes it was like $1k each time. Initialy the insurance would had covered only one month
of rental at $30 a day, The insurrance didn't want to cover the 5 months when the car was at the shop.

However I submitted all my rental expenses and also a diminished value claim to the insurance.
All together, after deducting some lawyer fees I got back about $15k, I could had got a little bit
more by going to court but during Covid everything was closed. And lawyer fees would had
been much higher, so I would not have been a big difference at the end.

Anyway this was much more than the initial one month rental.
Also during Covid I didn't want to fly, so renting an Audi was a good option,
especially since I was not adding any miles to my car.

There was also some medical claim but this was handled separatly.
It took more than 3 years to get the medical claim to be covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNHurt
However I submitted all my rental expenses and also a diminished value claim to the insurance.
All together, after deducting some lawyer fees I got back about $15k, I could had got a little bit
more by going to court but during Covid everything was closed. And lawyer fees would had
been much higher, so I would not have been a big difference at the end.

The person that caused damage to my MYP is "under insured" meaning they carry the absolute minimum legal insurance and caused damage to two cars, so I am going to be relying on my own companies under insured coverage. How do you go about getting diminished value? I know that before the accident I could have gotten more than I paid for the car if I sold it... now with an accident on the carfax that is no longer true... but how do you calculate / prove this?

Thanks,

Keith

The person that caused damage to my MYP is "under insured" meaning they carry the absolute minimum legal insurance and caused damage to two cars, so I am going to be relying on my own companies under insured coverage. How do you go about getting diminished value? I know that before the accident I could have gotten more than I paid for the car if I sold it... now with an accident on the carfax that is no longer true... but how do you calculate / prove this?

Thanks,

Keith
To calculate it, i would do a kbb estimate without using vin and just put in the info and say no accident. then do it again. with an accident and subtract the difference. i have no idea the process for insurance though

WTH? What did you do in the meantime? I'm guessing insurance didn't pay for 10 months of rentals.

I’ve got a Mustang convertible that I don’t drive very much since I bought the MYP. In the past 4 months I’ve used 3/8th of a tank of gas in it. It is pretty much for cruising the hill country on a nice day and we haven’t had many of those lately. I’ve thought about selling it because the insurance is $1000/yr. I could just do a few weekend rentals and come out ahead.

However the only thing stopping me is the long lead time on body work on the Tesla. No way insurance would cover a 10 month rental if something were to happen.

Reactions: Watts_Up