Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my S!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here she is!
Black performance fully loaded!

Image 1.jpg

:biggrin:

I got my S yesterday, and learned a lesson driving home.

I picked up my Model S and the car was a little short on charge to get home, so I had them charge with their supercharger at the factory for awhile. I left with 240 miles. Heavy rain this day. I drove to my friends house in Saratoga for dinner, and had 223 miles left. No problem I had 195 miles to get home. After dinner (4 hours) I returned to my car to drive home and showed 205 miles. Ok, a little tight, (Vampire load?) but I can stop in Atasdadero about 20 miles short of my house for a charge if I find I am running short. Began the drive and was watching the difference between the distance left for my drive and the rated range remaining. It continuously decreased and quickly became negative. I turned off air conditioning, still decreased, turned off fog lights, slowed down, to 60 mph, and drafted a semi and still lost range. By the time I got to Atascadero, (I should have had 30 miles to spare) I was below 0. Message in place of range was CHARGE IMMEDIATELY! I charged to 30 miles, I thought pleanty for a 20 mile drive, and again arrived with Less than 0 range remaining!

Factors:

It was raining HARD for most of the drive, and the car was pushing water the entire way

I had about a 40 mph headwind.

I was running wipers on medium or high for most of the trip.

These factors combined gave me a loss of almost 20 % in range in spite of my efforts in conservation.

Owners should keep these issues in mind when calculating driving distance.

Last edited:
Agree that it was worst case, and range charge would have probably gotten me home, or at least Atascadero without being negative. Point is that you should take what charge you can get when you can get it as I could have charged at my friends house while at dinner at least a 110 outlet, and you need to consider the other factors when driving in less than ideal conditions. Also I drove right by the supercharger in Gilroy, thinking I had enough!

It would be nice to have a range calculator on the display, including all of the above factors!

I drove in the same storm Lloyd did, and have to agree that the S doesn't like the rain. I had a range charge (269 rated when I left) and got about 207 miles from it. Wipers, headlights, seat warmers, as well as the heater (set to about 75) were on. W/Mile was about 410 for the trip, mainly at 60mph.

Today's 300 miles were much more efficient, about 330 W/Mile, even though I was doing 70-75. Much less heat, a little less wiper, and there was very little water on the road.

Congratulations Lloyd!

I was also surprised by how much heavy rain reduced my Volt's EV range. Now I expect it and plan accordingly, just like for cold weather. Not a problem any more, but your post reminded me exactly of my first impressions.

GSP

I drove in the same storm Lloyd did, and have to agree that the S doesn't like the rain. I had a range charge (269 rated when I left) and got about 207 miles from it. Wipers, headlights, seat warmers, as well as the heater (set to about 75) were on. W/Mile was about 410 for the trip, mainly at 60mph.

Today's 300 miles were much more efficient, about 330 W/Mile, even though I was doing 70-75. Much less heat, a little less wiper, and there was very little water on the road.

Wow--you guys are getting hammered up in the Bay area. That being said, 330 W/mile at 70-75 miles/hour in dry conditions sounds great. I thought I would have to do 45-50 miles/hour to get that kind of range. Enjoy your cars over the holidays.

Wow--you guys are getting hammered up in the Bay area. That being said, 330 W/mile at 70-75 miles/hour in dry conditions sounds great. I thought I would have to do 45-50 miles/hour to get that kind of range. Enjoy your cars over the holidays.

Love your name SD Supercharger. Living in San Diego, driving in all that rain coming down from Fremont to Carlsbad this weekend was not a familiar experience. I probably drove in more rain in the last 24 hours than I have in the last 3 years here!

Yep, I was happy with the efficiency on the second half of the trip, and I didn't even draft too much. It's good to know now, in case I do a long winter trip in the future.

Lloyd said he had a 40mph headwind, that will completely trump any other extra power draws. Driving 60mph into a 40mph headwind is as power-sucking as driving 100mph with no headwind. He would probably been fine if he had slowed down to 30mph or so ;)