Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my S!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have preferred it was not on my first drive!!

What wasn't clear to me from your description is if you consulted the "projected range" on the energy display (you are only mentioning the "rated range"). I'd have thought that it would have shown you soon enough to use the SuperCharger in Gilroy. And it isn't clear whether you enabled sleep mode and still lost that much range at your friend's house.

At least those are the two things I'd have thought might have helped in your situation.

Agree that it was worst case, and range charge would have probably gotten me home, or at least Atascadero without being negative. Point is that you should take what charge you can get when you can get it as I could have charged at my friends house while at dinner at least a 110 outlet, and you need to consider the other factors when driving in less than ideal conditions. Also I drove right by the supercharger in Gilroy, thinking I had enough!

It would be nice to have a range calculator on the display, including all of the above factors!

You kind of have one already. The energy display will let you display remaining range based on the last 5, 15, 30 miles. I have found this far more useful than the rated/ideal range displayed by the speedometer, which is really just based on the 265/300 range and might as well be a percentage number (which actually would be better IMHO).

I used that to arrive at the Gilroy supercharger with 6 miles of rated miles left on the battery. It's pretty accurate, but I don't want to think about what would have happened if the supercharger had been unavailable...

Sleep mode was enabled. Projected range passing Gilroy showed that I would make Atascadero with 15 miles to spare. My range deteriorated further as I continued to drive.

Isn't there is a long uphill part right before San Luis Obispo IIRC? Wouldn't this perhaps explain the additional energy requirement between Atascadero and San Luis Obispo? (Additional to the "projected range", and then also the rain and headwind, if looking at "rated range").

Well said Lloyd...this is the most important lesson EV drivers need to learn...

Agree that it was worst case, and range charge would have probably gotten me home, or at least Atascadero without being negative. Point is that you should take what charge you can get when you can get it as I could have charged at my friends house while at dinner at least a 110 outlet, and you need to consider the other factors when driving in less than ideal conditions. Also I drove right by the supercharger in Gilroy, thinking I had enough!

It would be nice to have a range calculator on the display, including all of the above factors!

I had about a 40 mph headwind.

This is something you don't notice so much in an ICE, but you will note it in the Model S. I drove to the St. Louis airport this morning in a pretty hefty headwind, and ended up consuming ~480+ WH/mile when normally that trip would take about ~330ish.

Norbert:

Yes, but not a huge climb from Atasdadero. ~750 feet. then a 1500 foot decline into San Luis Obispo, I believe the biggest factors were the rain and headwind.

Also my range may not have been completely correct as I drove 'below zero' and then only did a partial charge.

Yes, but not a huge climb from Atasdadero. ~750 feet. then a 1500 foot decline into San Luis Obispo, I believe the biggest factors were the rain and headwind.

Ah, yes, the other 750 ft uphill are in front of Atascadero, between Soledad and Atascadero. Sounds like the decline at the end, in rain and headwind, was not enough to regen up to some level noticeably higher than zero...