Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GOT MY VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats, care to add it to the Model 3 Tracker? I'll be updating the dashboard with a live query and wanted an example of someone in "Assembly" status (which starts with VIN assigned date / number).

Thanks in advance!

Seems that we are now getting VINs above the previously reported range that had a high of 1134. Wouldn't we expect that the new VINs that are coming in above 1134 are in addition to the 1,134 VINs already issued. Since cars are produced within several weeks after the VIN is issued, seems we are close to or at 1,134 produced and will soon be climbing above that number based on new VINs above 1134.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Carter
I need some help. We live in so. California, have a model S, and reserved a model 3 on 7/31/2017. The problem is, according to the estimator, we can expect delivery late 2018. After many, many conversations with low level people at Tesla (they do a real good job at protecting those who can actually resolve issues), we are assured that we will have a delivery priority, and that the estimator needs to be updated. Needless to say, I'm beyond skeptical. I would like to see a reply form anyone here that is a current owner, lives in California, reserved a model 3 at about the same time frame, and would share their delivery estimate.
Like Esme Es Mejor said you will be near the end of the current owner group. This makes you quite important to the non-owners. Once you get your invitation we'll know that we're getting close to non-owner invitations. So please let us know when your number comes up. You'll make a lot of people here very happy.

run-the-joules, don't be a hater. :p

Can't stop won't stop.

Also they're doing delivery *in the city*? I hope I can take delivery at… well honestly, literally any other location in the region. I'll go there if it gets me the car sooner of course, but ugh. The whole reason I'm buying the car is to lower the chances of bay area traffic driving me to suicide, the idea of having to deal with it right off the bat before I can even use autopilot is brutal.

So as I was on my way home this eve I got a call from Las Vegas #. It was a Tesla rep telling me that yes I have a vin# and vehicle has been produced.

Your car has already finished building just 2 weeks after submitting your config? That’s quicker than I was expecting and very welcome news. Maybe we’ll see the first regular customer deliveries by the end of next week?

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Can't stop won't stop.

Also they're doing delivery *in the city*? I hope I can take delivery at… well honestly, literally any other location in the region. I'll go there if it gets me the car sooner of course, but ugh. The whole reason I'm buying the car is to lower the chances of bay area traffic driving me to suicide, the idea of having to deal with it right off the bat before I can even use autopilot is brutal.

Once you get in the car and start driving it for the first time you won't care. :)

(I had to drive my Model S through a traffic jam on I-880 to get it home from the factory delivery. And autopilot wasn't even released then.)

Bruce.

PS. If you're really opposed to taking delivery in San Francisco, just ask if you have any alternatives. The worst they can say is "no", right?

Once you get in the car and start driving it for the first time you won't care. :)

(I had to drive my Model S through a traffic jam on I-880 to get it home from the factory delivery. And autopilot wasn't even released then.)

Bruce.

PS. If you're really opposed to taking delivery in San Francisco, just ask if you have any alternatives. The worst they can say is "no", right?

Yeah I'm going to request Fremont if possible, or Dublin I suppose. Corte Madera wouldn't kill me either. Actually that might be best because I could go up through Napa and back down on 80, make sure Autopilot is ready for my commute the next day.

Your car has already finished building just 2 weeks after submitting your config? That’s quicker than I was expecting and very welcome news. Maybe we’ll see the first regular customer deliveries by the end of next week?

My all-dominating cynicism and bitterness about the wait aside, I absolutely believe they are building cars without pairing them with an order, and then matching a produced car to an order after the fact. With so few configurations, there's no reason not to do it this way for now. They know that while some colors might be more popular than others, it's not like they have to worry about *nobody* ordering a given color.

My all-dominating cynicism and bitterness about the wait aside, I absolutely believe they are building cars without pairing them with an order, and then matching a produced car to an order after the fact. With so few configurations, there's no reason not to do it this way for now. They know that while some colors might be more popular than others, it's not like they have to worry about *nobody* ordering a given color.
I agree, with them "taking back" the VIN number. They're just producing cars, and matching orders up with already produced cars just-in-time for delivery. I was dubious of this supposition before, but it definitely sounds like it. This at least opens up the possibility of much shorter times between placing the order and taking delivery than on a Model X or S, where you know the car won't even enter production until after you've placed the order.

Reactions: dhanson865
Yeah I'm going to request Fremont if possible, or Dublin I suppose. Corte Madera wouldn't kill me either. Actually that might be best because I could go up through Napa and back down on 80, make sure Autopilot is ready for my commute the next day.

Corte Madera is a Tesla Store, but I don't think you can do a vehicle delivery there because they don't have a service center. The San Rafael Service Center is just down the road however.

Bruce.

I may ask to move to Fremont and ask for tour too. They may have given me SF as its the closest to me.

Weird thing was my X. It was an early one and I told them I'd go to the factory. Day before delivery they called me and asked if I could pick up in Palo Alto because they had no people to deliver in Fremont. So I went to PA.

I agree, entirely possible that they’re just churning them out and assigning them after the fact. Perhaps they’re using the previous employee configs to gauge how many of each color to produce.

Corte Madera is a Tesla Store, but I don't think you can do a vehicle delivery there because they don't have a service center. The San Rafael Service Center is just down the road however.

Bruce.
I dunno about normal operations in CA, but in UT the store is separate from the service center, but you take delivery at the store. It's probably case-by-case when they're separate which one does deliveries.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I may ask to move to Fremont and ask for tour too. They may have given me SF as its the closest to me.

Weird thing was my X. It was an early one and I told them I'd go to the factory. Day before delivery they called me and asked if I could pick up in Palo Alto because they had no people to deliver in Fremont. So I went to PA.

Tour is definitely worthwhile. I did one pretty recently (2 months ago) but I want to do another when Model 3 line is really cranking as a comparison.

You guys that got VINs... had you completed your insurance and loan info yet? I haven't done those yet (I feel like you need a VIN for that), and I'm wondering if that's keeping me from getting the VIN.
When I bought our X 18 months ago, I definitely filled out the insurance stuff before getting a VIN. Basically they're just looking for reasonable assurance that you will insure the vehicle. IIRC technically you have 30 days from delivery to get it added anyway. They never really cared for proof of insurance of the Tesla itself. I know because I switched insurance when we got the X, but I never had to update Tesla about who the new insurer was. I think the loan people (Alliant Credit Union) did want the specifics before closing on the loan, but not when I applied for it.

You guys that got VINs... had you completed your insurance and loan info yet? I haven't done those yet (I feel like you need a VIN for that), and I'm wondering if that's keeping me from getting the VIN.

I was told not to go through those steps until my VIN had been assigned by my DS who I spoke to yesterday.

When I bought our X 18 months ago, I definitely filled out the insurance stuff before getting a VIN. Basically they're just looking for reasonable assurance that you will insure the vehicle. IIRC technically you have 30 days from delivery to get it added anyway. They never really cared for proof of insurance of the Tesla itself. I know because I switched insurance when we got the X, but I never had to update Tesla about who the new insurer was. I think the loan people (Alliant Credit Union) did want the specifics before closing on the loan, but not when I applied for it.

This is super good info from my perspective… I've never bothered getting financing for a car in the past but with credit so cheap right now I figure my money is better served in the market than in a car, so I'm paying close attention to how all the loan handling stuff works.

Reactions: Pkmmte