Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GOT MY VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no VIN here. Wondering if I need to add insurance info even though I can’t possibly have a policy without my VIN?
From what I'm told, you should be able to upload your current insurance info even if it's non-specific to this car as a general proof that you're insured. Don't necessarily take my word on it, just repeating what I've read elsewhere.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
From what I'm told, you should be able to upload your current insurance info even if it's non-specific to this car as a general proof that you're insured. Don't necessarily take my word on it, just repeating what I've read elsewhere.

That's exactly right. They just want to know that you can provide insurance. Just upload your current insurance.

Ditto for the loan. Add any quote that you've had approved, not necessarily the one you will use.

Wait.. Just so i have this right. Someone who currently owns a tesla that reserved a Model 3 in July of this year is ahead of a non tesla owner who reserved on the first day reservations were open?
Yup. And on reddit someone who USED to own a Tesla but doesn’t any more recently reserved a 3 and is ahead of first day reservations.

Aaaaand someone who had an S and sold it after he made his reservation got to configure and order.

Yup. And on reddit someone who USED to own a Tesla but doesn’t any more recently reserved a 3 and is ahead of first day reservations.

Aaaaand someone who had an S and sold it after he made his reservation got to configure and order.
seems a little absurd. id get a couple months within preorders beginning. but a year and a half after?

they should have grouped the orders quarterly or something and then segmented out owners and non owners that way.

Reactions: run-the-joules
There are not 300,000 current owners in California ahead of me. I didn't post looking for sympathy, I only want to know when those who are in the same position as me, i.e., current owners in California that reserved a model 3 around 7/31 or shortly thereafter are getting deliveries. If there are any of those people here, I would appreciate a reply.
Looks like @gldfld will goto the front of the line.

I am also a current owner who reserved 08/02/17. Delivery estimator has me in the "first production group" for Dec 2017 - Feb 2018.

Major caveat of uncertain significance...we have two Teslas. I made my first reservation on 03/31/17 and just configured the first reservation this weekend. On the second reservation, the estimator had me initially for "late 2018", but now it has changed me into the "first production" group (Dec 2017 - Feb 2018). I read somewhere that each additional Tesla provides for that line-skipping advantage. Note to someone who can't wait, just buy the least expensive used Tesla S/X out there and boom, you jump the line to "first production" for the Model 3!

• Informative
Reactions: Kcharwood
Note to someone who can't wait, just buy the least expensive used Tesla S/X out there and boom, you jump the line to "first production" for the Model 3!

Simple as that, eh? Unfortunately the losses from doing that are more than I'm willing to stomach. If I could just transfer $2500 or some other reasonable sum to Tesla and get the same treatment, fine, but buying a car I don't want (if I wanted a Model S this whole thing would have been solved months ago, I'd have ordered one), eating the sales tax, and then likely taking a loss on the immediate resale isn't really a palatable solution. But I'm sure there are people richer or more desperate than I who might do just that.

Wait.. Just so i have this right. Someone who currently owns a tesla that reserved a Model 3 in July of this year is ahead of a non tesla owner who reserved on the first day reservations were open?

The wording in the initial 3/31 ordering system indicated that they do not have to hold true to any sort of order processing requirement. In some ways, it's all in your heads as if you will be ahead of others. The people who leased Model S in 2016 to jump the line who will not get serviced in that order fell for the ploy to get more deposits, I guess.

seems a little absurd

Not at all. It makes a lot of sense priortizing the current owners who are driving a Tesla, even if they just bought a few months ago. Because Tesla is trying to get this in the hands of folks who already have had an EV (specifically Tesla) owning and driving experience. This will make sure the first set of 50k+ M3 users are well versed already in charging and how to take care of long trips etc..

They don't want newbies be the early buyers of M3 and start posting YouTube videos on getting stranded on the highways and AP malfunction (read: user error or stupidity), less range in cold winter days etc.. Those videos will definitely hit the interblog, but that can wait until they stabilize the quality, production ramp and service centers.

I have purchased 2 S's prior. Ordered M 3 Nov 22nd 2017. At first it said I was Late Dec 2018, talked to Tesla and they said they were going to do a batch update to the delivery dates and sure enough, last Friday my new EST is First Production Dec 2017 to Feb 2018. Sweet!

OK....
Saw my car on the video of the parking lot at the Fremont delivery center. The narrator mentioned the VIN as he walked past it. So I can verify it's there. Just waiting, for my DS to contact, with money in hand ready to make Tesla a pinch richer.

was it the one with the big dent in the door?

(I KID, SORRY)