Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my wife a model 3 and now I'm hooked! Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've just took delivery of a M3LR in June (very last day of June to boost Elon's Q2 #s 🙈). The M3LR is in theory "my wife's" car, but I have been taking it out for more than she drives herself. We did a couple of mods (PPF, tint caliper etc. all the standard, see attached picture) but now I'm completely hooked and looking to get myself a MYP.

I know I should 100% make the decision myself and myself only but looking for advices from you experts:

• With used car market super hot right, do I sell/trade in my current car right now and be carless for a couple month? (2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee) worth about ~$30K right now among Carvana/Carmax/KBB. Obviously, the used car market will eventually die down and the Jeep won't worth ~$30K down the road
  • With the backlog of orders (earliest Delivery is November if you place order right now for MYLR), should I get into 2021 or best bet to wait for 2022 model?
  • With the price increases continue happening, what's the best approach here?

Attachments

• IMG_5421.jpg
    IMG_5421.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 81
1.) Congrats!

2.) Looks like we started the same way (white model 3 > order a Y) as I have a Y on order.

3.) I sold all of my vehicles and was carless for 1 month before getting a Tesla.

now, with all of that said, I was carless not because of Tesla but because I wanted to lock in cash in this market.

I sold my 2021 Tundra for $9,000 more than I paid for it.

Unloaded my Wrangler JL and my Mustang GT as well.

The prices were just too good, and you're correct in the assumption that you absolutely need to sell now if you want that kind of money. It will not happen again and your jeep, just like my Jeep, Ford or Toyota would have gone back to June/July 2020 levels.

If you at all want to lock it in, June was the time. Now is the next best time.

In regards to a backlog of orders. I'd recommend placing one now. I wanted to wait for the new battery. Even Elon isn't confident in the new battery being available soon (based on yesteday's conference call) - so if you want a Y, order a Y now. Don't wait for vapor.

RE: price increases. Inflation, rising Supply Chain costs, Demand, it will increase as long as we have low interest rates. And even if we don't, it would have to be substantial to really impact the demand. Demand far outpaces supply.

Tesla sold, what? 200k vehicles last quarter? That's nothing for ICE, Ford sells 500k+, and that's just one company. Now, take the leading EV company and apply that kind of aggregate demand and you'll see millions per quarter is a reality.

Why wait to get in? Eventually Tesla will sell 1m+ units per quarter and wait times absolutely will still exist. Giga Austin, Berlin, .etc will do very little satiate demand when millions of people are suddenly switching to EV.

Seriously. If you want a Y. Bottom line. Put in your order now. Prices likely will not drop any time soon, if ever, and it certainly won't be in your driveway if you don't order it.

1.) Congrats!

2.) Looks like we started the same way (white model 3 > order a Y) as I have a Y on order.

3.) I sold all of my vehicles and was carless for 1 month before getting a Tesla.

now, with all of that said, I was carless not because of Tesla but because I wanted to lock in cash in this market.

I sold my 2021 Tundra for $9,000 more than I paid for it.

Unloaded my Wrangler JL and my Mustang GT as well.

The prices were just too good, and you're correct in the assumption that you absolutely need to sell now if you want that kind of money. It will not happen again and your jeep, just like my Jeep, Ford or Toyota would have gone back to June/July 2020 levels.

If you at all want to lock it in, June was the time. Now is the next best time.

In regards to a backlog of orders. I'd recommend placing one now. I wanted to wait for the new battery. Even Elon isn't confident in the new battery being available soon (based on yesteday's conference call) - so if you want a Y, order a Y now. Don't wait for vapor.

RE: price increases. Inflation, rising Supply Chain costs, Demand, it will increase as long as we have low interest rates. And even if we don't, it would have to be substantial to really impact the demand. Demand far outpaces supply.

Tesla sold, what? 200k vehicles last quarter? That's nothing for ICE, Ford sells 500k+, and that's just one company. Now, take the leading EV company and apply that kind of aggregate demand and you'll see millions per quarter is a reality.

Why wait to get in? Eventually Tesla will sell 1m+ units per quarter and wait times absolutely will still exist. Giga Austin, Berlin, .etc will do very little satiate demand when millions of people are suddenly switching to EV.

Seriously. If you want a Y. Bottom line. Put in your order now. Prices likely will not drop any time soon, if ever, and it certainly won't be in your driveway if you don't order it.
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. The used car market will not be the same comes this time next year for sure. I live in California and this $7~12.5k rebate/tax credit doesn’t seem getting any traction either.

Put in an order to lock in the price now. 2022 model... like what waiting for the new batteries and giga castings? The 4680 batteries are a loong way off for the Texas Model Y, a year or so. That's a long time to wait.
Definitely not going to wait 1 year+, if I place an order right now how long can I "delay" it, best time for me to purchase (pay in full) financially is around Nov/Dec this year.

If you order a MYP now, you'll get a ton of updates compared to when the car originally launched (new center console, double paned front glass, revised headlights and taillights, 82 kWh battery, Biodefense mode, etc). The next Tesla is the best Tesla...another feature is always around the corner. The only feature I really wish my MYP had is air suspension.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what improvements the Austin produced Model Ys will bring. But who knows when that will actually occur (and what the real world benefits will be).

Reactions: lchen6
An order today gives an estimated delivery date of November, so that lines up well for you.
Yes, for the Model Y long range. With wife's car being long range, I'm leaning toward the Performance for the Model Y. California here doesn't need to worry about snow and severe weather etc. I think MYP will delivery within 7-10 weeks per Tesla's website right now.