Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got new tires and now regenerative braking does not work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some things to thing about that directly affect the feel of regen...
  • Is the car charged to near 100%?
  • Is it also particularly colder than before?
  • Have you checked the regen setting to see if it's been moved to Low?
I seriously doubt that a new tire would cause regen to not work at all.

Page 69 in the manual.

However, your vehicle is designed to continuously recalibrate itself, and after changing tires it will increasingly restore regenerative braking power after some moderate-torque straight-line accelerations. For most drivers this occurs after a short period of normal driving, but drivers who normally accelerate lightly may need to use slightly harder accelerations while the recalibration is in progress.

Don't have time to test this out right now. Will report back later

Hmmm.... don't recall ever reading that but it's been some time since I put my nose into the .PDF. I changed out two rear tires about a year ago but don't remember ever feeling regen change at all. Could be that I don't accelerate gently.

• Funny
Reactions: zhu-
I must have missed seeing posts/threads on the subject. I don't change over to winter tires (which it seems to be the cause of many of the occurrences), nor have I rotated the tires (they're fairly evenly worn after 18K miles, despite having newish rubber in the back). I'll keep this in mind when I do have to change tires next time. Thanks for teaching me something new!

Regen not working at all is a very different thing to reduced regen.
Reduced regen can happen for a number of reasons but no regen is very unusual.
I'm guessing this is a case of reduced regen.
Also, I swap between winter tyres, track tyres with not much tread and road tyres with a lot of tread quite regularly and have never had anything like this happen.

Regen not working at all is a very different thing to reduced regen.
Reduced regen can happen for a number of reasons but no regen is very unusual.
I'm guessing this is a case of reduced regen.
Also, I swap between winter tyres, track tyres with not much tread and road tyres with a lot of tread quite regularly and have never had anything like this happen.
Have you tried swapping only 3 tires at a time? It sounds like that's what happened here.
Regen on bald rear tires is super dangerous, my theory is that the car tries to detect that state by measuring the difference in diameter between front and rear.

Regen on bald rear tires is super dangerous, my theory is that the car tries to detect that state by measuring the difference in diameter between front and rear.
I don’t think that’s quite accurate. Bald tires will actually provide MORE traction on dry roads, which is why racecars don’t have treaded tires.

I’m guessing the computer uses the acceleration runs to determine available traction from the rear wheels to ensure commanded regen doesn’t exceed what’s available for that particular tire. I’ll be very surprised if diameter had anything to do with it.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I don’t think that’s quite accurate. Bald tires will actually provide MORE traction on dry roads, which is why racecars don’t have treaded tires.

I’m guessing the computer uses the acceleration runs to determine available traction from the rear wheels to ensure commanded regen doesn’t exceed what’s available for that particular tire. I’ll be very surprised if diameter had anything to do with it.
I'm talking about wet roads, regen is nowhere near strong enough to break any tire loose on a dry road. This is the situation I think they're trying to protect people from: Hydroplane and lifting off the accelerator
Admittedly I have no idea how they're doing it.

Page 69 in the manual.

"However, your vehicle is designed to continuously recalibrate itself, and after changing tires it will increasingly restore regenerative braking power after some moderate-torque straight-line accelerations. For most drivers this occurs after a short period of normal driving, but drivers who normally accelerate lightly may need to use slightly harder accelerations while the recalibration is in progress."

Don't have time to test this out right now. Will report back later

Guess that means I would only need 11 seconds after putting new tires on to get everything recalibrated completely.

Have you tried swapping only 3 tires at a time? It sounds like that's what happened here.
Funnily enough I haven't swapped just 3 tyres and then driven any distance.
If the OP had a problem due to the rolling circumferences being different I would at least have expected the car to throw an error or warning before reducing regen, much like it does it you disconnect a wheel speed sensor.
I think without any more hard evidence or data to go on, at this stage it's difficult to draw any conclusions but I've driven my P3D on various tyres in all sorts of conditions including several times on skid pans and I've never experienced anything like the OP is reporting.