Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got new tires and now regenerative braking does not work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you Matt, I rotated the tires on my model 3 and lost regen while @ 40% battery and 80-degree temperatures. Everything was good before the rotation. I did a reset, powered the car off, checked the regen settings and flipped them high/low. All did not fix the issue. I plugged myself in for a 70% charge and will see how I do in the morning. Freaky experience not having regen braking!

Thank you Matt, I rotated the tires on my model 3 and lost regen while @ 40% battery and 80-degree temperatures.
Everything was good before the rotation.
I did a reset, powered the car off, checked the regen settings and flipped them high/low.
All did not fix the issue.
I plugged myself in for a 70% charge and will see how I do in the morning.
Freaky experience not having regen braking!
How the car's computer may noticed that you rotated your tires?

And how did you noticed it?

- When I charge up to 90% I often get a warning message for reduced regen but I didn't really fell it.

I often see posts talking about "no regen". There would almost certainly be a warning message if there was no regen.
What's being referred to is reduced regen, which is very different.
If you want to feel what NO regen is like, drive along and put the car into neutral and take your foot off the accelerator.

I've swapped wheels on my M3P countless times now and never experienced anything like "no regen" after. I can't see how rotating the tyres could possibly be the reason for this happening, but if there really is "no regen" report it as a bug or book an SC appt.

From the Model 3 User manual:
"NOTE: Installing winter tires with aggressive compound and tread design may result in temporarily-reduced regenerative braking power. However, your vehicle is designed to continuously recalibrate itself, and after changing tires it will increasingly restore regenerative braking power after some moderate-torque straight-line accelerations. For most drivers this occurs after a short period of normal driving, but drivers who normally accelerate lightly may need to use slightly harder accelerations while the recalibration is in progress."

Note 'reduced regen' not 'no regen'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
This has happened to us Model 3 owners back during fall of 2018 when we started to switch over to winter tires. This appears to be normal behavior and eventually you get some regen back, but because temps drop you won’t get the full regen until it averages 20c again, however at that point you’d probably be on your all season/summer tires again. I’m sure there was a thread here somewhere if you look for it couple years ago for this very same reason.

I'm guessing but new tyres will potentially have slightly different rolling radius. Perhaps the regen needs to know about this and takes time to calibrate? The amount of regen it applies might translate into different rates of deceleration without this, which might be a safety issue...?

I don’t think that’s quite accurate. Bald tires will actually provide MORE traction on dry roads, which is why racecars don’t have treaded tires.

I’m guessing the computer uses the acceleration runs to determine available traction from the rear wheels to ensure commanded regen doesn’t exceed what’s available for that particular tire. I’ll be very surprised if diameter had anything to do with it.
A worn-out bald tire will not have better traction; it is likely heat-cycled into useless. A new shaved tire or a tire designed with less "open areas" for racing will have better traction.

Reactions: android04
I just replaced my tires in pairs and didn't experience this until the *front* tires were replaced on my rear wheel drive long range model 3. The feel of the car is that it is accelerating in response to the brake pedal when first coming out of the garage. Thanks for the quote from the manual. I guess I just need to get it on the freeway.

I just replaced my tires in pairs and didn't experience this until the *front* tires were replaced on my rear wheel drive long range model 3. The feel of the car is that it is accelerating in response to the brake pedal when first coming out of the garage. Thanks for the quote from the manual. I guess I just need to get it on the freeway.
It won't be accelerating unless you press the accelerator. What you're feeling is a reduction in deceleration.

I just had new tires put on too after running on the originals for 42k and was experiencing the same thing. Regen was just not kicking in about 50% of the time and would just coast like the car was in neutral. I figured it might need to recalibrate itself, but I was also kinda feeling worried about it. Thanks for the thread!

good to know and glad you made a post. I probably would have freaked when I do a tire change and experience this.
This just happened to me after I changed both rear tires on my M3 S+, and yes, I did freakout a bit! Thanks for this post.
Totally makes sense that it would need to recalibrate regen after a tire change. It takes a bit of driving, but the regen came back fully after working intermittently for a while. I imagine tire shops will start warning Tesla drivers of this eventually.

Page 69 in the manual.

Don't have time to test this out right now. Will report back later

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Just changed the rear two tires on my model 3 and has this exact same issue. Ironically because regenerative braking wasn't kicking in so I was driving a lot lighter on the acceleration than usual which probably prolonged the issue. After my 3rd slightly more spirited drive regenerative braking was back to normal.

Also just from my experience, regenerative braking would not kick in above 20 mph and would coast as if in neutral until my 3rd drive.