Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got PTO and turned on with stormwatch on..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got PTO a few minutes back from SCE and I turned on the systems.

Being on stormwatch, PW is charging from the grid. The solaredge inverter shows blue and green solid lights. I set my advanced setup to COST SAVINGS as I am on TOU. All good so far per the attachment? Now I will wait for sun tomorrow and see how it behaves..

Attachments

• ptoflow.jpeg
    ptoflow.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 78
Okay now its blue solid light only on the inverter which means monitoring is working fine. Since there is no sun, I guess I don't see the green light anymore. I tried to turn off the STORMWATCH but kept getting error on app that the update was not successful. And PW is charging from the grid when my price is high ( 4 to 9 pm pt) :-( anyone having issues with turning off SW?

Okay now its blue solid light only on the inverter which means monitoring is working fine. Since there is no sun, I guess I don't see the green light anymore. I tried to turn off the STORMWATCH but kept getting error on app that the update was not successful. And PW is charging from the grid when my price is high ( 4 to 9 pm pt) :-( anyone having issues with turning off SW?

had that issue 1 or 2 times, but kept trying and it eventually updated the setting

I changed from COST SAVINGS to BALANCED so I use powerwall to power my house. However i still don't see the change and past 9 pm (high rate TOU) ends, it switched from PW to Grid. I thought Balanced would continue powering my house after sundown /night. Thoughts?

I changed from COST SAVINGS to BALANCED so I use powerwall to power my house. However i still don't see the change and past 9 pm (high rate TOU) ends, it switched from PW to Grid. I thought Balanced would continue powering my house after sundown /night. Thoughts?

all of the "time of use" modes have various algorithms where the system tries to determine when is best for it to power your home, and when its best for the grid to power your home.

So, if the goal is "i want the powerwalls to power my home until they reach the reserve percentage, then you want self powered. Self powered doesnt really have a fancy algorithm. Its just tries to keep you from using the grid as much as possible, for as long as possible, so it:

Solar producing powers home first, if Home draw is less than solar production, send excess to powerwalls.
If there is excess solar PV while powering home and filling powerwalls (more than powerwalls can take, or powerwalls full) send PV to grid
when solar production is less than home load, use powerwalls to make up difference.
When no solar production continue to use powerwalls to power home until they reach the set reserve percentage, or, PV starts producing again.

Stormwatch throws that off of course. With that being said, I dont think either TOU mode (balanced or cost savings) prioritizes powering your home from the powerwalls when peak period ends, unlike self powered which has no peak period at all.

Good info guys. Lots of learning initially but loving it. I have kept my reserve to a low 8%. In past 8 years in this home, grid hardly went down. Maybe 3 times and that too for less than 30 minutes. Thats why I am not worried about power outage for long durations.

and I manually turn off SW when one kicks in.

Good info guys. Lots of learning initially but loving it. I have kept my reserve to a low 8%. In past 8 years in this home, grid hardly went down. Maybe 3 times and that too for less than 30 minutes. Thats why I am not worried about power outage for long durations.

and I manually turn off SW when one kicks in.

just wondering why you turn off SW. Although outage might be rare, you're saving what maybe $5 to $10 by turning it off. Whereas if the power does go off, you are risking $100s plus inconvenience

just wondering why you turn off SW. Although outage might be rare, you're saving what maybe $5 to $10 by turning it off. Whereas if the power does go off, you are risking $100s plus inconvenience

The SW was turned on yesterday due to high winds in SO CAL. From past experiences, the section where I live have never been part of Public Safety Power Shutoffs. In case I feel it may happen, I can always manually turn it on.