Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear-ended at red light while in FSD. Does anyone know if I’ll lose access if (for ex) they have to replace bumped (and calibrate sensors)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see video of the crash on this thread I put on Twitter. I couldn’t find USB so just recorded the dashcam playing in the car.

It drives as if nothing happened (no warnings, noises, etc.) and FSD is still working normally. Trunk functions normally as well.

I’m just wondering if the bumper/trunk being replaced & (thus the sensors needing calibration) would result in Tesla towing me from FSD beta? It doesn’t make sense to me that it would, but I figured I’d ask just in case anyone has experienced this.

Also, it seemed to that FSD anticipated the impact and didn’t continue coming to a complete stop when it realized we were going to be hit (resulting in a less forceful impact). Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this is a thing or I’m just imagining it?

Lastly - any experiences with how long repairs likely to take (assuming not structural damage)?

Thanks! 🙏

276E53C7-2527-44CA-9709-20BD5ED6647E.jpeg

Attachments

• 176A2258-113C-4E37-AB8A-79F7A754CE95.jpeg
    176A2258-113C-4E37-AB8A-79F7A754CE95.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 38
...I’m just wondering if the bumper/trunk being replaced & (thus the sensors needing calibration) would result in Tesla towing me from FSD beta? It doesn’t make sense to me that it would, but I figured I’d ask just in case anyone has experienced this...
I don't think so. Replacing sensors doesn't trigger a strike to expel you out of FSD beta.

...Also, it seemed to that FSD anticipated the impact and didn’t continue coming to a complete stop when it realized we were going to be hit (resulting in a less forceful impact)...
Was your car supposed to slow down but it did not? Stop Sign, Red Light, 15 MPH curve...?

I don't think so. Replacing sensors doesn't trigger a strike to expel you out of FSD beta.

Was your car supposed to slow down but it did not? Stop Sign, Red Light, 15 MPH curve...?
I posted the videos on twitter (not sure how to post vids directly). Car was slowing to stop at a light that was one second away from turning red. My theory is that when FSD noticed the car about to hit us it stopped bringing the car to a stop (the equivalent of human letting off the break) and perhaps pushed forward with the impact, thus lessening it.

...Car was slowing to stop at a light that was one second away from turning red. My theory is that when FSD noticed the car about to hit us it stopped bringing the car to a stop (the equivalent of human letting off the break) and perhaps pushed forward with the impact, thus lessening it.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense now. It's a good theory but it still needs to be proven by the car's log or Tesla source codes that it does program the car that way.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense now. It's a good theory but it still needs to be proven by the car's log or Tesla source codes that it does program the car that way.
Yeah for sure. I checked teslascope but it only shows snapshots every minute. Would be cool if it was able to do that (while making sure not to hit any cars that might be in the intersection. Good thing those lights have a delay on them before the next one turns green.

Lol yeah no doubt. I said exactly that in that twitter thread. I had a bad feeling when I was putting it on the car.
Next time you need to put the persons phone on your bumper. That way he/she will be looking at your car.;)

Little anecdote: I'm a runner and live in the middle of a large city. Yesterday I was crossing a a busy intersection (10th St and Williams St) and the light changed (Walk Light) and I started running across. As I got to the middle/median I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye and "slammed on my brakes". A SUV barred through and locked up on the ABS. It slid inches past me and came within inches of T-boning a car. Had I been 1 second earlier and the driver reacted 1 second later (probably reading a Facebook post) my body would have been smashed in the T-bone.

But since he was driving and likely just looking at his phone this would have made it a normal accident and of no importance. Had it been a Tesla it would have made the national news.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: 0xReptar
Next time you need to put the persons phone on your bumper. That way he/she will be looking at your car.;)

Little anecdote: I'm a runner and live in the middle of a large city. Yesterday I was crossing a a busy intersection (10th St and Williams St) and the light changed (Walk Light) and I started running across. As I got to the middle/median I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye and "slammed on my brakes". A SUV barred through and locked up on the ABS. It slid inches past me and came within inches of T-boning a car. Had I been 1 second earlier and the driver reacted 1 second later (probably reading a Facebook post) my body would have been smashed in the T-bone.

But since he was driving and likely just looking at his phone this would have made it a normal accident and of no importance. Had it been a Tesla it would have made the national news.
Wow. Man I’ll bet that got your pulse rate up! Good on you for spotting it & I’m glad u didn’t get t-boned.

I’ve unfortunately been in far too many car accidents. Worst was being partially ejected and pinned face down on the road w glass in muh face/broken bones etc., for 45mins while FD extracted me. Was almost 20yrs ago, but still messes with my head. FSD has really made me into a better driver (if for no other reason than training me to maintain a high safety score). I have Tesla insurance as well, which is solely based on safety score. Definitely looking forward to the day when AI & related safety systems & incentives make our roads and highways vastly safer (and the media gives up its quest to paint Tesla/FSD evil/dangerous!).