Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear ended - damage does not look too bad but how should I proceed?

Got back from the detailing shop and they can buff out the majority of the damage and light scratches. There is a 2 inch slim section where the paint went all the way through and you can see the black bumper. I have an appointment on Friday for the detail work so I’ll post a picture when it’s complete.

For the part where it went all the way through, if it’s barely noticeable from a distance I just might keep it instead of a paying a body shop to repaint that section of the bumper. Thankfully the MSM blends it pretty nice with the black plastic of the bumper.

The detail will cost about $150 and I’m guessing the body shop will want around $500 to repaint it

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and cbdream99
The Tesla certified body shop quoted me $1500 to fix everything since they would want to take the entire bumper off and repaint the entire thing. The rear quarter panel above the rear bumper has a slight indented curve to it but no real paint damage.

I think my plan is going to be have the detailing shop fix the majority of the scuffs and ceramic coat the area, then take it to a PDR to align the panel above the bumper so it’s completely flush again. I think I can live with the small part of the bumper missing paint and I’m sure someone else will rear end me in the future so I can get a new bumper then and officially add my first crash to the carfax 🎉

Reactions: brkaus

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC