Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear ended - take to Tesla or elsewhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got rear-ended at a stop sign. Some scratches and about 2 inch dump in bumper. Should I take to Tesla or let at fault insurance shop work on it?

Attachments

• 567305E0-D6E9-43C7-90D8-4E3641BAE9A2.jpeg
    567305E0-D6E9-43C7-90D8-4E3641BAE9A2.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 193
So the other motorists policy that gave me expired last month. Police attempting to make contact to follow up. Hopefully he has or I will have 500 deductible. Is it worth it to repair? Should I try to get depreciation claim? If so how much?

Also, must say pleasantly surprised how little damage. Definitely heard a loud thud but other vehicle took brunt of it. Didn’t really move at in seat. Attempted to save dash cam and glad I videoed it on my phone as for some reason it re wrote over it as I was waiting for police to show up.

just had to deal with something similar, but for the front Bumper

tesla will not fix it, but replace the bumper with a new painted one, which on a brand new car that’s what i would do, however what insurance will quote you is for fixing and repainting which at least for me was less than the cost of the bumper. Here the other issue: tesla does not deal with insurance, which means you will nee to ask for supplement and do all the work yourself if the insurance quoted you less.

alternative is to go to a body show tesla certified, and they will deal with insurance for you.

Reactions: Newto3
An SUV backed into my parked M3 while going about 15 mph. This was last October. I took it to a Tesla Service Center and they said they don't do bodywork so they gave me a list of Tesla Authorized Service Centers. I took it to one. The final cost of repairs was about $9200. Clearly my car was more extensively damaged than yours but the quality fo the repairs could not have been better. 2000 miles later there are no rattles or squeaks. It looks and works as good as new. At Tesla authorized collision centers the mechanics have been trained by Tesla. They know the car, they know what to do. Another plus is that when they order parts from Tesla the car owner is sent emails showing when the parts were ordered, when they ship and when they are due to arrive and the Collision Center was great about keeping me informed. So, if the other guys insurance will pay for it I definitely recommend an authorized collision center. If you have to foot the bill get estimates from an authorized collision center and one that isn't authorized, then decide for yourself.

Your carrier will attempt to subrogate the claim to the other party and they will include the deductible you paid.
But what if they don't have active insurance? The card they gave me was expired and company said was only active until last month. Police were going to make contact and I hope he was insured, but if not, not sure how they would go after him other than tickets, etc? Legal fees would probably cost more than deductible?

But what if they don't have active insurance? The card they gave me was expired and company said was only active until last month. Police were going to make contact and I hope he was insured, but if not, not sure how they would go after him other than tickets, etc? Legal fees would probably cost more than deductible?
Your carrier may decide to sue the driver to recoup the money if they don't currently have a policy.

Legal fees would probably cost more than deductible?
You should look into small claims court. You represent yourself, but costs are very small. Where I live about $35 to file, plus whatever to have the defendant served (under $10 if you use certified mail with receipt if they accept delivery, under $100 to have sheriff dept do it). In spite of TV shows that make a spectacle of it, I think small claims is one of the last bastions of justice that we have.