Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got some road rash during a fender bender. Tips on cost or time to repair, diminished value, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My beloved TARS had a bad evening. Wife was driving and someone turned into her, 100% fault of the other driver. What can I expect for wait time on the repair? I’ve heard horror stories with Tesla repair times.

The front quarter panel is destroyed, drivers door, bumper, wheel, strut, and control arms are shot too. Not sure what other damage exists beyond that. Air bags didn’t go off and the frame doesn’t appear to be damaged.

Any words of wisdom for those that have been through this? Should I look into a diminished value claim? My car is a 2020 Sealth Performance.

94A789CC-D53E-4359-9D4E-B7A4DEEFAAA0.jpeg
3ADB0A9C-B1DF-4EC9-B0EB-7C75EE09298E.jpeg
773FC8FA-AE58-4830-AD56-B91AA551CEC6.jpeg

So I have similar damage from a guy side swiping me.

Front fender, remove dents from rocker panel, replace camera housing, replace hood, replace bumper, alignment was right under $4000 at Tesla.

Looks like your fog light is done, possibly headlight and door damage, so that would be added onto yours. Then any underlying damage they don't know about until disassembly.

That did not include wheel damage or a tire replacement, since those were aftermarket, they wouldn't touch it.

So I have similar damage from a guy side swiping me.

Front fender, remove dents from rocker panel, replace camera housing, replace hood, replace bumper, alignment was right under $4000 at Tesla.

Looks like your fog light is done, possibly headlight and door damage, so that would be added onto yours. Then any underlying damage they don't know about until disassembly.

That did not include wheel damage or a tire replacement, since those were aftermarket, they wouldn't touch it.

That is helpful information, thanks. There is definitely some more damage as it looks like the tire is pushed in so likely damage to the struts, and support structure of the tire. Front door has a nice bend in it too so that will need to be replaced or fixed. I should find out in the next couple of days what all needs to be fixed.

That is helpful information, thanks. There is definitely some more damage as it looks like the tire is pushed in so likely damage to the struts, and support structure of the tire. Front door has a nice bend in it too so that will need to be replaced or fixed. I should find out in the next couple of days what all needs to be fixed.

If you get into structural issues, you're probably looking north of $10k with everything else that looks damaged.

Reactions: WilliamG
Part of me wants it to be totaled so the car isn't stuck in service for weeks to months getting fixed. Plus, the hit to my car's value since it has been in an accident is also something that frustrates me.

diminished value is sometimes a difficult number to come up with, but assuming you understand the basics of it, as most people don't even know it exists or if it is law in their state.

Reactions: CyberTruckNuts
diminished value is sometimes a difficult number to come up with, but assuming you understand the basics of it, as most people don't even know it exists or if it is law in their state.
its not a law, its a concept. OP has the right to be made whole by the insurance of the person who caused the damage. Simply fixing the damage does not make OP whole.

OP. get an independent adjuster (who should be billing the insurance company, not you) and ensure they are going to go after this for you.

its not a law, its a concept. OP has the right to be made whole by the insurance of the person who caused the damage. Simply fixing the damage does not make OP whole.

OP. get an independent adjuster (who should be billing the insurance company, not you) and ensure they are going to go after this for you.

except it is a law in some states, and the laws apply differently in those states in how it is considered.

wait until you google it again and find out there are different types of diminished value under some states' laws, and all of those variations also apply differently than each other.

been there done that in multiple states personally. both my ex wife and current gf are attorneys so I have been hearing about this type of crap for over a decade now.