Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got squeezed into the curb by tow truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
agree with the others. Not worth the deductible or time of the insurance company. A good wheel repair guy can probably buff out that road rash for $150. Or, a new wheel is what, $300?

That said, I'd complain to the owner of the towing company and see if you can get some satisfaction that way. And since they are licensed, perhaps also file a complaint with the State. (just for satisfaction of your hassles)

I'd also file a complaint (online) with your local police dept about road hog/unsafe driving. Sure, your single complaint won't do anything by itself, but if the local cops get similar complaints, they may open an investigation.

Last edited:
from pics it looks like truck was going around that bmw parked on the side n either didn't see OP or was expecting u to slow down... just a guess...
i'd definitely step on the horn for a good minute!
then turn around n follow him n slash his tires 🤣 jk jk

I think this goes along with similar situations where you get into an accident trying to avoid an accident. Similar to swerving to avoid a car in your lane but you end up hitting another car. The accident would be deemed your fault. If you had not swerved and hit the car in your lane, then it would not have been your fault.

I think this goes along with similar situations where you get into an accident trying to avoid an accident. Similar to swerving to avoid a car in your lane but you end up hitting another car. The accident would be deemed your fault. If you had not swerved and hit the car in your lane, then it would not have been your fault.
If you have video proof that another car caused you to create an accident then the other car would be at fault. This is exactly what a "Miss and Run" is.

If you have video proof that another car caused you to create an accident then the other car would be at fault. This is exactly what a "Miss and Run" is.
If the other person doesn’t leave the scene, how could it be a Miss and Run? Seems a little difficult to prove someone forced you to cause another accident. It would be a big assumption that the accident would have occurred if you didn’t take evasive action. Also, could you have taken evasive action that does not result in causing another accident?
I think we need to start taking responsibility for our own actions at some point. If you panic swerve and hit someone or something avoiding another accident, it’s on you. If you maintained your lane, the person or thing you hit would not have been hit.

If the other person doesn’t leave the scene, how could it be a Miss and Run? Seems a little difficult to prove someone forced you to cause another accident. It would be a big assumption that the accident would have occurred if you didn’t take evasive action. Also, could you have taken evasive action that does not result in causing another accident?
I think we need to start taking responsibility for our own actions at some point. If you panic swerve and hit someone or something avoiding another accident, it’s on you. If you maintained your lane, the person or thing you hit would not have been hit.
"You made me choose to swerve, and damage my own wheel, now I expect someone to make my mistakes right."

• Disagree
Reactions: Kairide and YNoVA
Interesting conversation - seriously. For your added pleasure, I didn't swerve, I gradually slowed, and the more I realized this asshole is neither slowing down nor making any effort to create space (he had plenty of room to his right), I pulled further towards the curb until I scraped against it. At the moment he passed me I was basically stopped.

Since a few other kinder commenters asked, my hand was on the horn the last couple seconds, and for a bunch of seconds afterwards. Before I went on my way (after deciding not to turn around).

Interesting conversation - seriously. For your added pleasure, I didn't swerve, I gradually slowed, and the more I realized this asshole is neither slowing down nor making any effort to create space (he had plenty of room to his right), I pulled further towards the curb until I scraped against it. At the moment he passed me I was basically stopped.

Since a few other kinder commenters asked, my hand was on the horn the last couple seconds, and for a bunch of seconds afterwards. Before I went on my way (after deciding not to turn around).
Unless the mm of space created by scraping your wheel against the curb was the exact amount you needed to avoid a head on collision, it sounds like there was enough room for the tow truck and you to drive by each other. It may have been closer than you were comfortable with, but doesn’t mean curbing your wheel to avoid death was the only option.

Sorry for the bad luck but I don't think holding the tow truck financially responsible is a reality. Had they actually hit you and forced you into the curb, you could justify that. I don't know any insurance company that would not hold you liable for that damage. I'd just fix it out of pocket or maybe send a letter and the video to the tow company and hope they help you with the damage.

• Funny
Reactions: YNoVA
Sorry for the bad luck but I don't think holding the tow truck financially responsible is a reality. Had they actually hit you and forced you into the curb, you could justify that. I don't know any insurance company that would not hold you liable for that damage. I'd just fix it out of pocket or maybe send a letter and the video to the tow company and hope they help you with the damage.
Sigh..

If another car's negligence causes you to swerve which in turn damages your vehicle or causes an accident, that car can be held liable for the damages. The amount of people that don't realize this is amazing.

Unless there are videos from both sides, it is hard to determine there is any fault, not sure how much the cost to repair the wheel these days, but most likely less than the deductible, may have to paint all the wheels to get a perfect match.

The amount of people that don't realize this is amazing.
You might be confusing it with the amount of people that realize its next to impossible to prove that and not worth the effort and we just move on with out lives :)
Also, I'm sure in many cases other party (tow truck in this case) might not even be aware that accident happen so the Run part in "miss and run" is not always applicable...

You might be confusing it with the amount of people that realize its next to impossible to prove that and not worth the effort and we just move on with out lives :)
Also, I'm sure in many cases other party (tow truck in this case) might not even be aware that accident happen so the Run part in "miss and run" is not always applicable...
It is next to impossible to prove it until you have video evidence like OP does. Also Miss and Run's don't have to be intentional.