Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got the dreaded "battery charge level is restricted" message yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks after it had suddenly dropped 16km of range, my 2013 85 with ~148000km (92000 mi) suddenly disabled supercharging while I was charging in Victor, NY en route from Albany to Toronto. Fortunately I was still able to use an 80A HPWC to get home and Tesla made arrangements to replace the battery. That was a shock, as I had babied the battery and thought it must be a charge port issue.

Meanwhile, the 80A AC charging only worked for 2 days after which it limited to 16A (3.2kW) or 10mi/hr. Tesla said that was likely related to the pack failure and would correct itself with a new pack. At the same time as the charging limit dropped to 3.2kW, my range suddenly dropped another 76km all at once. Within two weeks it dropped another 22km. In total I had dropped from a max 401km down to 287km, another 28% loss. Before all this, my well-managed pack was showing a 6.7% degradation after 5.5 years (401km vs 430km new) and had been showing very little gradual decline over the last 3 years, about 1%/yr.

It took Tesla Toronto 8 weeks get a replacement battery. During that time I've been grounded (very local driving only) since en route charging @ 10mi/hr is infeasible. The new pack is showing 33km (9%) less range than the old one had before it started failing: an additional 9% loss right out of the gate. This more than doubles my battery degradation from ~7% to ~16%.

To me, that is wholly unacceptable. How is it reasonable to replace any part with one that functions substantially poorer than the old part, especially the battery? And to top it off, they tried to return the car to me as complete with the max charge still limited to AC charging at 3.2kW!

I've been an MS owner since 2013 and it's sad to see how far the service has degraded since then, in every respect: technical, communication and attitude. This isn't over.

• Informative
Reactions: Fadiawesome
A few weeks after it had suddenly dropped 16km of range, my 2013 85 with ~148000km (92000 mi) suddenly disabled supercharging while I was charging in Victor, NY en route from Albany to Toronto. Fortunately I was still able to use an 80A HPWC to get home and Tesla made arrangements to replace the battery. That was a shock, as I had babied the battery and thought it must be a charge port issue.

Meanwhile, the 80A AC charging only worked for 2 days after which it limited to 16A (3.2kW) or 10mi/hr. Tesla said that was likely related to the pack failure and would correct itself with a new pack. At the same time as the charging limit dropped to 3.2kW, my range suddenly dropped another 76km all at once. Within two weeks it dropped another 22km. In total I had dropped from a max 401km down to 287km, another 28% loss. Before all this, my well-managed pack was showing a 6.7% degradation after 5.5 years (401km vs 430km new) and had been showing very little gradual decline over the last 3 years, about 1%/yr.

It took Tesla Toronto 8 weeks get a replacement battery. During that time I've been grounded (very local driving only) since en route charging @ 10mi/hr is infeasible. The new pack is showing 33km (9%) less range than the old one had before it started failing: an additional 9% loss right out of the gate. This more than doubles my battery degradation from ~7% to ~16%.

To me, that is wholly unacceptable. How is it reasonable to replace any part with one that functions substantially poorer than the old part, especially the battery? And to top it off, they tried to return the car to me as complete with the max charge still limited to AC charging at 3.2kW!

I've been an MS owner since 2013 and it's sad to see how far the service has degraded since then, in every respect: technical, communication and attitude. This isn't over.

simple

do not go Lawrence service center
Oakville and Mississauga are better

What is the time line for your situation?

Try contacting [email protected] about this. I hope they resolve everything to your satisfaction. I know other owners are seeing a good service quality level, so where there are issues I am sure Tesla will want to resolve them.

What is the time line for your situation?

It's now been a week since I got the car back. When I pointed out the apparent range reduction @ 92% SoC, the Lawrence SC told me to give the battery "some weeks" to break in before getting a true reading of its range (but I've already caught them giving me nonsense answers to other things). Yesterday I did one range charge which topped out at 370km, about where I had calculated it would. That's a 14% degradation from new, double the 7% over 5.5 year degradation in the pack before it began to fail.

The SC described the replacement pack as 'new'. Although I asked about the origin of the replacement pack, the SC could tell me nothing other than they just order it and know nothing about its origin (refurb, salvage, new?). It's definitely not new and it's significantly worse than my original pack.

I'll be documenting this by letter to make a complaint under the warranty program as the next step. A 7% downgrade is not a replacement.

It's now been a week since I got the car back. When I pointed out the apparent range reduction @ 92% SoC, the Lawrence SC told me to give the battery "some weeks" to break in before getting a true reading of its range (but I've already caught them giving me nonsense answers to other things). Yesterday I did one range charge which topped out at 370km, about where I had calculated it would. That's a 14% degradation from new, double the 7% over 5.5 year degradation in the pack before it began to fail.

The SC described the replacement pack as 'new'. Although I asked about the origin of the replacement pack, the SC could tell me nothing other than they just order it and know nothing about its origin (refurb, salvage, new?). It's definitely not new and it's significantly worse than my original pack.

I'll be documenting this by letter to make a complaint under the warranty program as the next step. A 7% downgrade is not a replacement.

Is this based on “rated” range? Are you sure you didn’t switch from “rated” to “ideal”? Do you have access to the actual capacity in kWh?

I just received my car back last week. From what I can tell the range is exactly the same as my old battery. I have not range charged but the 80% and 90% SOC is exactly the same as my old pack. I will charge to 100% soon to see if that changes things.
I agree that Tesla should not be giving you a worse battery. That is ridiculous. A warranty should replace you with something similar or better.

I had the same problem in my 2013 model s 85

Covered under warranty but did not get new battery. They will not tell me the size of the battery.....but it does charge, it charged to the same miles. They did it in a week with a free loaner car. Can't say anything but good. My only expensive experience was a $3,800 air conditioning repair. That was an ouch.

I have never experienced the yello screen issue.

I had the same problem in my 2013 model s 85

Covered under warranty but did not get new battery. They will not tell me the size of the battery.....but it does charge, it charged to the same miles. They did it in a week with a free loaner car. Can't say anything but good. My only expensive experience was a $3,800 air conditioning repair. That was an ouch.

I have never experienced the yello screen issue.

I have had my heater go out ($2500) and a door handle ($900).
My screen has been perfect until this last visit to the service center. It took 20 days for them to fix the battery. While waiting for the battery my car was sitting in there parking lot in 90+ degree heat the whole time. I now have large bubble across the top of my screen! None too happy with that as my car would have been sitting my garage during that time.

I got the "restricted" message yesterday when I got in the car to leave work. I think it showed a loss of about 20 miles from lunch time, leaving about 83 miles range. I drove (conservatively) straight to the service center about 18 miles. No charging at the supercharger there. It said charge complete, set a higher limit. 63 miles showing.
Unfortunately, they could not diagnose. Since I'm still on V8 software (hate the newer interface), they said they failed to connect to it even in the shop. It sounds like stale certificates or some such. (@sorka, have you been to a service center lately?)
Nothing offered by service: no loaner, no rental, no ride-share credits (not that I'd want them). They want me to leave them the car for at least a day while they contact engineering. I drove home, about 50 miles remaining.

This morning it read 95 miles range and started to charge. 96 miles at 44% calculates 100% would be 218, down from about 238 (calculated) last week. I don't think this is over. I cannot trust the car now.
2013, 172,000 miles

I got the "restricted" message yesterday when I got in the car to leave work. I think it showed a loss of about 20 miles from lunch time, leaving about 83 miles range. I drove (conservatively) straight to the service center about 18 miles. No charging at the supercharger there. It said charge complete, set a higher limit. 63 miles showing.
Unfortunately, they could not diagnose. Since I'm still on V8 software (hate the newer interface), they said they failed to connect to it even in the shop. It sounds like stale certificates or some such. (@sorka, have you been to a service center lately?)
Nothing offered by service: no loaner, no rental, no ride-share credits (not that I'd want them). They want me to leave them the car for at least a day while they contact engineering. I drove home, about 50 miles remaining.

This morning it read 95 miles range and started to charge. 96 miles at 44% calculates 100% would be 218, down from about 238 (calculated) last week. I don't think this is over. I cannot trust the car now.
2013, 172,000 miles

I was supposed to go be there last Tuesday but had to cancel the night before because Tesla Energy called and said my Solar+PW county inspection was the next morning (really short notice) and they were hoping I could be home. I could have said no and rescheduled but I prioritized getting PTO in play for my new system over getting the airbug updated for a car I'm basically not driving.

Toolbox will connect directly to a car with v8 just fine. They can still fully diagnose any issue even with v8 if they have the car physically there. They will be missing uploaded logs which in some cases could make it more difficult to diagnose an intermittent condition, which is not what you have.

I'm still driving around (but just a couple of times by myself to run local errands) and still have the "battery needs service" message which is really just BSM error 159 (Max WOT count of 2500 exceeded). They used to replace the battery when this happened on any 85 Ludicrous upgraded batteries but I guess they decided after collecting enough data that it was no longer necessary. They told me updating to V10 will hide the error.

I strongly suspect if I were to update they wouldn't ignore the error, they'd just cap my power, range, and charging speed.

So far, power is holding up very close to the levels just post Ludicrous upgrade and range has dropped a few miles to 238. The car sits mostly at a 60% SOC. I do charge it to 75% or so when I'm doing a Costco/Lowes/Home Depot run but only right before I leave so it's not sitting above 60% for any significant duration.